GUN Does anyone make a decent pancake style holster that snaps on and off the belt?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Section8, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Section8

Section8 .

I like my sparks SS2, but for carry to/from work i'd rather have something owb for sitting in my truck and during the winter - BUT i have to take it off before i go on base every day and lock the gun in my console so that I'm legal.

I could get a paddle holster I guess but those don't pull next to the body very close for when i need to get out and get gas/coffee go to the store or whatever on the way home from work.

2. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

What base do you work on where it's legal to put the gun in the glove box? :confused:

3. Section8

Section8 .

If you're transporting a firearm on base it has to be locked and separate from the ammo (same as if you are transporting a firearm and you don't have a CCW), so I lock it in my center console and put the ammo in the glove box before i get on base.

4. JaimeZX

HM. Are you sure? I will look into that because it's not my understanding. (Not saying you're wrong, mind you, just confused. ;) )

5. Section8

Section8 .

I'll re-check the law i read online, but the way i read it was that you can not carry a weapon open or concealed on base, you can carry a weapon on base if you are transporting it - same rules apply as normal transport. So I take the mag out, lock it in my console and put the mag in the glove box so they are separate.

:dunno:

6. JaimeZX

From the FAQ at Handgunlaw.us
    Guess I'll call the cops on base and ask.

7. no7fish

no7fish New Member

I believe most installations require that you register the weapon with them before bringing it onto base/post, after that it's up to whatever their rules of transport are, but that's just what I hear from family....

8. Section8

Section8 .

what about a good paddle holster? Will those hold the gun up tight enough to reduce the print?

9. Section8

Section8 .

Yeah, i had found the federal statute somewhere online that stated proper methods for transporting firearms on base and went by that.

10. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Yup, the best on/off snap type holster out there.

11. Section8

Section8 .

thanks for the input guys. Anyone have comments on paddle holsters? Can you get one that conceals well or do they all ride too far out?

12. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

I haven't found a good one yet.

Does it have to be OWB? The AKJ Concealco Readyline I have takes less time to get off than ANY of the my other holsters. Two snap pops and pull. I have to fight to get any of the rest of them off quickly.

13. Section8

Section8 .

I was thinking something OWB since my IWB isn't very comfy while driving. It's great when i'm walking around, just not when i'm sitting in my truck - i dunno if an OWB would be any better actually since I haven't tried one yet.

14. Thunderbear

In my experience, they're both less than comfortable. The OWB takes the pressure off your waist and back, but the butt is torqued up by the back of the seat, which twists your belt, at least in my case.

I kind of solved it by putting a holster between the seat and console, which I advise anyone.. it's FAR more accessible than an on body holster. Then the holster doesn't matter as much.

Also, what are you doing with the rounds you're rechambering so often? Sounds like your slide is cycled with the same two rounds every day.

15. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

16. Thunderbear

17. Section8

Section8 .

You know..i was actually trying to think of a way to get the gun snug between the seat and console yesterday. I tried doing it with the SS2 on, but there wasn't enough pressure to hold the holster in place when i drew.

And on the rechambering rounds - i was wondering about that if it was adviseable to swap them out after a while since they would be loaded/unloaded frequently.

18. Thunderbear

More than twice, and I'd swap them out. Honestly, rather than clearing and making ready, I'd keep it in the vehicle loaded, and only clear it if and when PMO stops you/gate check/whatever.

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3480361&highlight=rechambering

As for the holster, the gunshow nylon specials work pretty well, since they're not worth a fuck for anything else, plus the spare mag I leave in it is nice. :o

19. Section8

Section8 .

Holy shit :eek3: I had no idea that repeated use of the same round was so bad :eek3: and after only 2 or 3 rechambers it's noticeably impacted.

I just bought a new box of defense rounds the other day, and haven't unloaded the chambered round since - so i guess the old top two rounds will get tossed.