Does anyone know...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Legz, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Legz

Legz New Member

The real dangers we face with this Intel transition to macs??? Specifically speaking from a design shop point of view.. I heard Adobe would not be able to run properly on macs with intel chip in place...

2. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

All applications written for PowerPC Macs should run just fine via Apple's Rosetta adaptation software. However, you'll take a big performance hit on a lot of them, like Photoshop and Office. Adobe and Microsoft have both announced support for x86 Macs, but neither have updated applications with Universal binaries out yet.

I seriously doubt that Apple will completely stop selling PPC based Macs (especially the pro models) until after all the major proggies, like Adobe apps and Microsoft apps have been moved to Universal binaries.

3. Legz

Legz New Member

good to hear. I'm going to assume that it will not replace a G5 in the design shop environment until everything has really been tweaked.. a good few years ahead of us.

4. Blair

Blair New Member

i highly doubt its "a good few years ahead of us"

more likely once adobe releases CS3 and the powermac tower is released all professionals will make the switch. everyone tries to talk like there are some major bugs in the intel platform that must be fixed but i have not seen nor heard of any big scary flaw that would force everyone to trade their intel macs back in.

5. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

More like a few good months ahead of you. CS3 is expected to be MacIntel compatable and out late this fall.

As for how it runs on the Rosetta, well, it sucks. It is buggy and runs slow as hell.

6. Legz

Legz New Member

CS3 isn't the only program used here. So really, the switch would be more lke a year or so.. not all companies have new software releases at the same time. To dat, I've only heard of Adobe working towards the change... no one else.