does anyone know of a script or bot i could use to mirror a website?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Scream_Phoenix, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Scream_Phoenix

Scream_Phoenix Handsome Boy Model

i would need this to be able to run automatically, so that it can harvest the content and upload it to my server for me every hour or so. ideally it would be configurable so that it only shows text, no pictures or hotlinks.

my work bans .coms, but it has been so slow lately i get bored. i would like to be able to browse sites like gizmodo from my own website, which is not banned from there servers (.org). this may seem unethical to some of you, but it is a call center job, so show some pity :o

2. mace

mace i don't read

3. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Have you tried setting up your browser to use a proxy server? I dunno how well their firewall rules are setup. But maybe you can get out on a proxy and then the 'net is all yours again...

4. Scream_Phoenix

we have very limited access to any options in all the applications we have available to us, so im not sure if that would work, but ill look into how it is done and see if theres something i can work out.

is there a way i can put up a java VNC client on my webpage, and then use it to access my home pc from it? i wonder if they banned external ip addresses or just .coms... i might be able to log directly into my pcs ip...

i looked at wget but i couldnt find anything to automate the download/upload

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

You could try writing or finding a Java applet that acts as a web browser, then embedding it in a page on your website. I'm not sure if this would work, but it's an idea :dunno:

6. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

7. Scream_Phoenix

this is working nicely, i hope it works from work, ill try it on fri when i get back :big grin:

8. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

:cool:

9. Jesse

Jesse PSN: iamajesse; XBL: Inhale My Rod; G8 GT crew; Ne OT Supporter

If that doesn't work try to run MSTSC from your run command line in windows. This should launch remote desktop. If it does, you might just consider setting up remote access to your home comp. Thats how I used to have to browse the net.