MMA Does anyone here train?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Kevin, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Kevin

Kevin New Member

I know some of you guys do... Who would be so kind as to answer a few serious questions for me. :x:

2. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I train at a gym in Clawson.

3. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Go ahead and ask away. I watch a lot of DVD's so I know what I'm talking about...

4. Kevin

Kevin New Member

wow. Perfect :eek3:

One of the things i'm looking for is a local place to train. I need recommendations.

5. Kevin

Kevin New Member

What do you guys train? MMA in general, or a specific discipline. I had hoped to begin kickboxing, but one of the places i called does "mma", not kickboxing specifically

6. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I train MT, wrestling, and bjj/sub wrestling.

Then 2 times a week we have an MMA class where we put it all together.

7. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Martial Arts Unlimited in Clawson... Chris is a BJJ brown belt, and great Muay Thai, Savate, and Combat Submission Wrestling instructor. Saturday is beginner Savate and BJJ, Monday is beginner Muay Thai and CSW. I recommend Monday to try it, in fact my buddy will be there Monday for his first class with me. First class time is free.

Chris is the MFL LHW chmp, and there is another fighter there named Ben who is 8-0 Am with King of the Cage experience. Most all the others there just train casually or for fun.

8. Bausk

Bausk New Member

9. Kevin

Kevin New Member

Yes. I want to train for fun, and seeing how much I'm into it, i'd maybe decide to do it for competition

10. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Where did you call? I have trained at about 4 different gyms and I'd recommend MAU over them all. There are other good ones too but they are all further away.

11. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Alot of the guys there do strictly BJJ competition too. I trained for a while and decided to give it a shot and me and one other had our first MMA fights last year.

12. Kevin

Kevin New Member

http://www.academyofsoodothai.com/

13. Bausk

Bausk New Member

My friend trains there. The instructor is a blue belt and the "stand up" training they do there is poor. I'd say try them out then compare them, but you'll end up choosing MAU. I trained there once and it was enough for me to be glad I train where I do. They didn't spar the night I went. We don't spar much in beginning kickboxing but we roll (spar) every night in grappling (easier since you don't get black eyes nightly).

If you do try them, the instructor is a nice guy and my friend loves the place... I just don't think you would be getting your money's worth

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  14. Kevin

Kevin New Member

Makes sense. I'll probably check it out at some point. I've got a few friends that want to do it as well, but they want strictly kickboxing. (chicks) They don't mind sparring & all that, but they wont want to do bjj or anything else.

trying to find a place that'll make everyone happy. :sad2:

15. Bausk

Bausk New Member

My wife does Muay Thai, Savate, and cardio kickboxing with me at my gym. The cardio kickboxing is not a "chick class" though, it's basically an hour of fighter conditioning. It's pretty tough. The kickboxing classes are all seperate though, if they aren't interested in grappling. The (cardo) instructor is a friend of ours, and she has been kickboxing about 7 years herself. The instructor's mother does kickboxing as well, and another girl does too. So they wouldn't be the only girls.

16. Kevin

Kevin New Member

Well, they don't want cardio kickboxing. more geared for combat.

17. Kevin

Kevin New Member

really? interesting. So how geared toward learning kickboxing is it? Is it mainly used for condition, or could one become pretty skilled in kickboxing through these classes.

18. Bausk

Bausk New Member

The "X-fit kickboxing" classes are all conditioning. They don't teach form. A membership to the gym gets you everything though. You can go to all the classes. There is also a seperate membership for only the X-fit that is more aimed towards people looking to get in shape, but it's only wednesday nights for an hour. There is some form of kickboxing monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday, and saturday though.

Search for my Log from when I was preparing for my fight to see for yourself.

19. Bausk

Bausk New Member

20. Kevin

Kevin New Member

Very interesting. I could give you a hand in getting the video off the dvd if you still want to try.

Were you nervous in the ring the first fight?

21. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Not nervous enough, I was way too chill in the ring, and not aggressive enough from the start. I got hit hard at the beginning of the fight and it threw me off first half the first round. I was still winning the round when I got tko'd from an overhand right that put me down.

My buddy had his first fight the same night, on the same dvd. Won first round by armbar. I can email you the files if you want. I'd want it and I'm sure he would still want his too.

22. Kevin

Kevin New Member

My legs would be rubber, i'd be so nervous & jittery. Did the first hit get you focused and ready?

Go for it. can you rip it to an iso? Either way, i could put it on youtube or just host the video. let me know.

23. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

like others said, train at the best place for you. convince the girls to train where you do, or just let them do their own thing.

24. Bausk

Bausk New Member

And like I said, if the girls wanted to only do X-fit, it's pretty cheap.

25. toothpick

toothpick New Member

Start with one art and concentrate that on a year or so or your heads going to explode with info and your gonna suck at everything. It happened to me with judo and bjj.

now i just do bjj and won the last tourney i was in :big grin: