Does anyone here own a bowflex?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by EgoFalter, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EgoFalter

EgoFalter Say 'Ariloulaleelay'. It's fun

I know most people love to bash them saying free weights are the way to go ... but does anyone actually own of these systems who can give me some real feedback?

I'm a hard gainer and I'm looking for something around the house to put on a little mass - nothing major.

2. Steve325

Steve325 Guest

depends on your goals. I think it can be effective to a certain extent, but it will become a limiting factor if you ever do decide to take it further

3. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

Yes, my parents do.

I don't know if the bows lose their strenght after a while or what, but I can bench a ton more on a bowflex than I can on a real bench. The weight is not even close to linear (very easy at the beginning of the lift, then gets progressively harder). It's difficult to do some workouts with it. The one thing I did like about it was that you didn't need a spotter to do anything. I could bench to failure and just slide the handles back without having to worry about being stuck under a bar. Even with the first "optional weight stacK" that puts it to like 310 lbs, I can bench all of the bands on there (and my last max was 235 on a real bench).

It's very differnt than free-weights, and it sits in my parents basement, basically unused since I moved out almost 3 years ago.

I don't believe that you're ever going to look like the guys on the commercials by just using the bowflex. It's much too limited on squats/dead IMO without a bunch of the funky attachments, and even then, I don't know that it would have enough resistance for anybody who does a real squat much over 300 lbs.

4. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

waste of money

but a power rack and weight / bench or simply join a gym

5. vtectyper

vtectyper New Member

i tried one out at my friends house. Biggest POS ive ever seen. The first couple inches you start pulling on that thing there zero force. Dont feel anything until you pull to the top.

6. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.