LGBT Does anyone here have any ideas as to what are some attributes of a good suit?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by therealdeal, Jul 30, 2005.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

I'm hoping some of the gay crew have some queer eye fashion sensibilities. I have no idea what I'm doing.

help?

2. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

I'm clearly sleepy, because I read the title to ask for 'attributes of a good slut'... But while I'm thinking about it, a good slut is as important as a good suit.

3. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

a good suit should be well made from quality matierial.
    There shouldn't be any visible imperfections and things like uneven collars or sleeves are a no-no. Color should also be even across the garment.

4. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

What is quality material though? Is cotton good? I literally have no idea. But thanks on the other tips.

5. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

if going for a more inexpensive suit, go with wool. Look for a heavier weight fabric and good solid stitching.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I did the same thing and I just had a cup of coffee. I think it's the font more than anything else.

I'm boring old heterosexual, but I do know a couple of things about suits (thank you Esquire mag!):

Match jacket to pants, shoes to belt. If you get brown shoes/belts, make them chocolate-brown, not leather-brown. You can wear blue jackets/pants with either black OR brown shoes/belts, but black jackets/pants should only be worn with black shoes/belts.

For formal events, the shirt color should be neutral or a more toned-down color similar to the jacket/pants, and it should be brighter than the rest of the suit, except at funerals.

For semi-formal events, the shirt can be more colorful, but try to avoid colors that clash and hurt the eyes as well as bold patterns.

Your shirt collar should match your body: if you're tall and skinny, the collar should be narrow and the points should be more or less vertical; if you're stout, the collar should be wider and the points more spead apart.

The tie is pretty much entirely up to your discretion. When wearing a patterned tie with a patterned shirt, try to keep the patterns similar in style but not pointing in the same direction and not the exact same colors.

Of course, if you're trying to throw people off guard and/or cause them visual distress, all bets are off.

7. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

Awesome, thanks man, that helps me quite a bit.

8. suckmyexhaust

suckmyexhaust New Member

Suits are a tricky thing, but I have a couple dozen just because I have attended many of different functions and interviews as well.

Pending the occasion, you must dress according.

Casual events should be more a sport coat with kacki's and either a polo or a loose fitted button down shirt.

Semi formal should be treated as a casual wear. Colored suits fit into this catagory. With my complection, I generally will wear an olive colored suit, light yellow shirt, brown shoes and belt with gold jewlery.

Formal occasions are to be generally black or white. No mixing here. Shirts are generally the oppisite color of the suit. Shoes and belt are black. No questions here. Formal occasions are weddings, funerals, power meetings with the "big dogs" so on so forth.

Ties are a whole different story. Informal and semi-formal occasions are great to bring your personality out in a tie. BCBG has a great selection. Silt is the best way to go. This shows that you know what you are looking for and aren't afraid to get it. Coloring of the tie too will place you as passive [blue/green/ and pastels of the colors] or more of the active party type [reds, orange, yellow and brighter shades as well.]

Formal occasions need to be treated as to the occasion. Speaches, dinners what ever, you need to pick a tie that matched your personality. Some people go for monogramed clothing, others go for a nice silk solid. What ever you choose, make it good.

The fitment as well will get people talking good or bad.
    A sloppy cut suit will show really fast. Check to see where the sleeves come to. I get my suits tailored right to where the thumb connects to my hand. Sholders should be exact as well as in the chest area too. Slack fitment should be loose in the crotch and tailored to drop just above the sole of the shoe. DO NOT WEAR THE PANTS BAGGY. You will be seen as a 'punk bitch' going any where and not get the reputation of a 'good guy'

Matching the shoes and belt is key to the whole fitment. If you have any other jewlery [cufflinks, studded shirts, what not] step back and look at it. Does it clash on the clothes; on you.

BTW... rule of thumb when getting the dress shirt, you should have space for two fingers [middle and pointer] between the collar and your neck. This will provide a comfortable fit while still looking good.

I use to sell coats and formal wear so these were things I would go by.

Best of luck and stop back in with pic's of what you picked up!