SRS Does anyone have tics? (TS? OCD? NTD?) And how did you treat them?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Falconer, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Someone I know was recently diagnosed with "nervous tic disorder" and I've been doing some research on the subject. Apparently a significant percentage of people have or have had tics at one point in their life, but they are often mild or unnoticed.

This has also made me freak out a little bit because the other day someone pointed out to me that "you always clear your throat before you speak." That's technically a vocal tic. I'm a corporate trainer and spend a large part of my day at work speaking in front of groups of people. I feel like I need to have a clear voice and if I don't clear it first, my voice sounds phlegmy.

So my research has lead me to believe that there are no medications specifically designed to deal with tics, but some antipsychotics seem to work occasionally, altho they have horrible side effects.

If you have tics, what were they, how bad were they, and what kind of treatment have you tried, and how did it work?

2. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I usually only do the OCD stuff if I am feeling anxious.

I'll count my steps and get irritated if I don't end up on my right foot on the 11th step.

Sometimes I'll click my teeth from the left side to the right side back and forth until I hit the number 11, and again, get irritated if the 11th click isn't on my right side.

If I am in a room and there is some random white or bright colored object in the middle of the floor or out in the open, I get anxious and must pick it up.

The most common one I do is pick out an object and bisect it in my vision with the "see-through" line that my nose makes up when I look left or right.

Therapy for Depression/Anxiety has really calmed these down. Basically, just becoming overall more calm and less anxious is the best way I was able to stop doing these so much.

If I am nervous about something or worrying, I still slip up and do these. When I do, I become conscious of it, calm down, and move on.

3. dura

dura Guest

My father has full blown TS and took medication for it while in the Navy. It suppressed his tics, but caused him to become sluggish. This was 10+ years ago, so I have no idea what the current meds for treating TS are. Anyways, he's still affected by it and not medicated. When he's calm, you can barely notice his tics. Whenever he's stressed or anxious, they become x10 worse.

I have a few friends with tics too. They control it by, well, forcefully not doing them. Seems like the obvious and asinine answer, but it's really the only thing they've done to fix it.

4. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

What were his tics?

5. pharmokan

pharmokan OT Supporter

everytime an embarassing moment pops up in my head i blurt out a random word or noise, most likely it would be a curse, that usually helps me get that thought out of my head.

6. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

I had them when I was younger. I still have a little habit of performing them here and there when I'm stressed. I also have OCD.

The tics I had were I would strain my eyes all the time. And I mean open my eyes super wide (the the point of bug-eyed) as if they hurt. As I write this I'm doing it because it reminds me. I also had a bad neck tic. When I got stressed and nervous I'd turn my neck really hard. I did it so much that I had really horrible neck pain and problems and started going to a chiropractor. I also find myself clearing my throat when there's nothing wrong with the feeling. Just clearing it out. All happen when nervous and stressed.

I think I took medicine but I don't really remember because I couldn't have taken it long, my problems weren't severe enough. Eventually once I caught myself doing it I would just have to try and stop them myself and then gradually over time it just ended :dunno: It takes a lot of willpower.

7. dura

dura Guest

:rofl: just about anything you can think of. He makes a lot of grunts, snorts, and has some random things he'll say. He twitches his neck, adjusts his body when sitting, blinks constantly, and wrinkles his nose as nonverbal cues.

8. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I have TS, but my doc didn't think that I should be medicated for it. I've had numerous tics. Some were:

blinking my eyes
    shrugging my shoulders

neck, nose, hands, arm, almost anything.

right now the worst is biting my teeth together. my only vocal tic is saying stuff that may be too harsh or offensive. reading OT has made that worse :mamoru:

9. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Damnit, I think you just added to my arsenal.

10. iwishyouwerebeer

Ugh. I'm not kidding. Since I posted in this thread earlier I've been straining my eyes, hurting my neck and clearing my throat :wtc:

11. Minh Lam

Minh Lam Active Member

I have Tourettes Syndrome too. Mild.

Use to blink my eyes hard.
    Shake my head
    twitch my face.

Yes the common strain the back of the neck.

Now its like its like trying to clear my nose or throat like a little blowing action.

I use to suffer anxiety and depression before I knew I had tourretes. I just thought I couldnt control these bad "habits"

12. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

At what age did these tics start? Did they stop on their own?

13. JordanClarkson

I think they started around 4-5, as young as I can remember. They didn't so much stop as they did simply change to something else. When I'm not relaxed, there's a constant need for some kind of satisfaction. Like if I were shooting baskets and I made a swish, I'd want to make another 10 in a row because it felt so good to do it.

14. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

I've always had nervous tics. When I was a little girl, I would blink my eyes really hard or really fast, depending on the situation. I used to blow on my fingertips too.

They change every so often, though the blinking has stuck around. Now, I grind my teeth or clench my jaw or pick at my fingernails or lip. (Soo fucking gross, I know)

No idea how to treat them, I just try to be cognizant of my actions so I don't look like a complete moron. :dunno: Difficult, however, since 90% of the time, I don't realize I'm doing it. :rofl:

15. Minh Lam

Minh Lam Active Member

I hate tourette Syndrome. My dad has it. Sometimes Im fine and other times its like shit man. So uncomfortable!

16. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Do you do those things to try and relieve some sort of physical discomfort? Like does it bring you relief to do so? Or does it just kind of "happen."

17. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

I do it to relieve emotional discomfort. Most of the time its subconscious and I don't realize I'm doing it until someone points it out or I feel it. Like if I start getting a headache because I've been clenching my jaw repeatedly for 2 hours or I bust my lip open cause I've been picking at it for a bit. The blinking I never notice unless someone asks me if I have something in my eye or I catch my reflection.

I suppose on some level I must think it brings me relief- though I'm not sure its very effective. Severe or prolonged stress makes my tics worse. No stress, no tics- but that doesn't happen very often. Like this weekend, for example- I got my car broken into and my computer and a few bags stolen on Friday. I've been fidgeting around like crazy since then and I think even my SO is getting sick of it. After 5 years of togetherness, very little gets to him- so I must look like a damn mess! :rofl:

18. hardlywaiting

hardlywaiting New Member

I have a thing where my neck will feel uncomfortable until I turn it in either direction and get that joint cracking noise, like a knuckle. Sometimes when I'm frustrated I'll do it over and over again, and get even more frustrated when it doesn't make that cathartic crack

19. JordanClarkson

At a store in the mall one time, I remember they had this fire extinguisher on the wall. And the trigger had a plastic tie through it to keep it from being handy. Well, there were also these little spikes that ran upward on the tie and I just had this incredible urge to have to take my fingers, put it on the bottom to where the tie connected to the trigger, and feel my fingers up, feeling the spikes gently depress underneath. I fought and fought the urge but then I did it. Once wasn't enough though, so I took a walk around the clothes and when I got back to the extinguisher, I ran my fingers up the tie again. This happened like 10 times before a store employee told me that I wasn't allowed to touch that thing. :o

20. hardlywaiting

hardlywaiting New Member

Every time I see one of those fire alarm wall switches I have to surpress the urge to pull it.

21. iwishyouwerebeer

:rofl: for the record...that's not TS

22. JordanClarkson

It sounds like OCD, but that is an anxiety disorder. TS is a neurological disorder. There's a difference when it comes to why you're doing something.

23. Joybang

Joybang New Member

I'm the same way...it just goes from one thing to another. Right now its this twitching/twisting of my left shoulder mainly. Fucking irritates me.

24. Fotenks

Fotenks New Member

I had a tic in high school that lasted about a month. I got severely depressed when it started, I thought it was going to be permanent, like the right side of my face would scrunch up and kind of kick my head to the side. There was no controlling it or stopping it, such an awful feeling. But it only lasted a month, weird.

25. JordanClarkson

My body calms down a lot when Im in front of a computer. But that creates another problem :mamoru: