does anyone have any clue what a head and tail architecture is???

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Limp_Brisket, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

one of my professors doesn't teach from our textbook at all, and i swear he just makes stuff up sometimes. anyways, i was absent and apparently we talked about HAT architecture?

well i couldn't find anything on the internet or our textbook about it and today on our test we had a question that referred to the "head and tail architecture". so i assume that's what HAT stood for yet even searching for that i can find nothing on the internet.

i think whatever it is must have come to my professor in a dream yet he decided to put it on our test. does anyone have any clue what it is?

p.s. the class is called advanced high-performance computer architecture or something like that.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I remember learning about it, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is. Can you give me any context at all?

I think it might have something to do with one machine doling out work to a bunch of other machines, with the one machine being the head and the other machines being the tail, but I'm totally pulling that out of my ass.

3. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

i don't have any context, that's the problem.

the question was something like "some scientists think the head and tail architecture is blah blah blah, why is this?"

i don't remember the specifics, basically because i just used my answer space to bitch him out for never teaching from the book and refusing to tell us what is on the tests.

4. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Well I have a CS degree and have never heard that term... though I only took "Computer Architecture" and not "Hyper Advanced Performance Architecture of the Future" or whatever...

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Googlage is sparse, not in Design Patterns, never heard of it.

6. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

"Merging Head and Tail Duplication for Convergent Hyperblock Formation
    "

Oh... right... of course thats what he meant. I was just reading about... various convergent hyperblock formation shenanigans... last week?

8. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

it's actually talking about a bunch of compiler techniques... however he is the compilers professor as well, so he likes to talk about that stuff in the architecture class...

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Yeah, I have no idea what the fuck that paper is about, as its about 10,000 feet over my head, was my silly ha ha.

10. ge0

ge0 New Member

He might be referring to the network OSI layering... They sometimes refer to that stack as Head to tail arhitecture.

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I think he was referring to the heads or tails algorithm, in which one flips a coin.

if(rand(1) > 0.5)
    {
    return 1;
    }
    else
    {
    return 0;
    }

I can see why you guys wouldn't know it, you don't get to that until the secret stage of CS Kung Foo.

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I don't think he would've said "architecture" if he meant "algorithm" -- but then again, professors are not known for being the most in-touch people on earth.

13. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Yeah, its an architecture built entirely on the coin flip. Fuzzy logic. If this sounds dumb, I'm telling you, its because its way over your head.

[​IMG]

14. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

that's probably it... can't believe i missed it, it's all so simple to understand now :uh:

:mamoru:

15. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

sounds like an architecture where you can only access the head or the tail of the data structure directly.
    if you make an array A to be [1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10] then you only have direct access to 1 and 10. This would be done with a pointer to the start of the array and one to the end of the array and then to access the array you would have to call A.head to get 1 or A. tail to get 10 and then to access the remainder of the array you have to remove 1 or 10 from the array and then call A.head or A.tail again. There is very few times that you would ever have to use this. I had to use it when programing in the language ocaml.

16. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

sounds to me like you have a good question for your professor. you're paying enough for college to ask. don't be afraid to sound dumb.

17. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

don't worry, i'm never afraid to ask and i have before, and he always responds with "go ask someone else that was in class that day."

i think he feels spited by his students when they miss class.

18. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

that sounds more like a data structure implementation than an architecture. then again, i don't think architecture would be quite the right word for it if it was indeed that thing in the pdf i found, which is why i think he made the name up!

19. CodeX

CodeX Guest

I think he invented a fancy new term for FIFO

20. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You mean FIFIOLO?

21. CodeX

CodeX Guest

yeah lol

FIFOLIFOFILOLILO

22. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Maybe it means work on old shit, unless there is reason to work on new shit, then work on the new shit.

So FIFO until a signal is sent, then FILO. Which is... FIFOUASISTFILO.

I shall call it the Peyomp Acronym for short.

Or maybe... FIFO until a condition is met, then FILO. FIFOUACIMTFILO?

Which one has a ring to it, making it a good candidate for the Peyomp Acronym (TM)?

23. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

well i know you're all dying to know what it is so today in class he went over the test and had his "answer key" up on the projector. i wrote it down on my laptop what he had, apparently it has to do with VLIW.

personally i think "architecture" is a poor word to describe this "technique" or "method"

24. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Thats bullshit. He's lying. Its what I said.

25. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Similar to many file format conventions then... ok... That is not an architecture.