A&P Does anyone else think that studio portraits are lame?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Harry V. Gina, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

I don't care how well they are done, they all seem contrived (obviously) and they don't tell you anything about the person being photographed.

2. Tomash

Tomash Active Member

Their purpose isn't really to tell you anything about the person.

3. angel_fiire

angel_fiire ******

It depends.... If it's clasical studio portraiture, then yes. Although it is admirable the way they are lit. It also depends a lot on the subject and background, the clasic brown/blue canvas is ugly as heck, but if you take pictures with chiken wire as a background it actually looks really good. You can always add a spind to clasic portraiture and turn it onto contemporary portraiture or glamour/fashion head shots. It's up to your vision.

4. Harry V. Gina

I suppose you're right about that, but still I think that portraits taken outdoors look so much nicer.

The worst are those cheesy ones with the laser beams in the backgound.

5. eof

eof New Member

I take all my online dating pictures while wearing ripping tight sweatpants at Walmart with laser beams in the background. I lay more chicks than mother goose. :o

6. mojito

mojito New Member

you're thinking of traditional portraits. to say that all studio work is greddy is just assinine. Many people like it, but the trend is going against it, especially in the younger crowd. YHowever as a photographer you damn beter be able to set it up if someone wanted it becuase it pays for your new gear faster than just about anything. Plus the lighting can be used in a more modern setup

7. angel_fiire

angel_fiire ******

8. Skoles

Skoles Guest

I'm a big fan of the family portrait taken on the beach person myself. Just doesn't get better than that. I especially love when the photographer takes it just before sunset and doesn't expose it correctly thus making the picture oddly lit with a mix of flash & pink/orange hues.

9. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

they are too fake imo

10. Harry V. Gina

It also seems like there are a lot of "professional photographers" out there who hire "models" for shoots, but you know they are just hoping to get laid.

11. LEXTC

LEXTC Guest

Yea I guess if they actually PAY the "models" then you can probably assume they are looking to get laid. But I've taken many girls out for pictures, never really "Hired" them persay.. But I always make it known before hand that I don't pay unless the pictures are going to be taken for a specific project. But I havn't encountered needing photographs for a specific purpose yet so :hs: :dunno:

Practice never hurts. And bringing different girls out lets you experience different things. I used to ONLY bring out my gf, and she's a PAIN IN THE ASS!!! Complains about EVERYTHING and tells me what she wants to do and this and that... I donno it's just a big hassle. I'd rather work with friends and new people, they're much more openminded.