SRS Does anyone else never stop thinking?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Docter Pepper, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Docter Pepper

Docter Pepper OT Supporter

My mind just races all the time. When I'm with other people it's not bad, and when I'm alone it's at its worst. I just over analyze stuff all the time. I have constant conversation going on in my head. I rehash different subjects of my life continuously. It gets to the point where I have fake conversations in my head with other people I know. I do my best to predict their answers and questions for the given conversation that has never occurred. It drives me nuts, and I can't turn it off.

Lately I find it happening more frequently. When I'm bored in class my mind wanders off to these "discussions" in my head. There is a lot on my mind these days too, so I think that is also having an affect on it. I just don't ever remember it being this bad :hs: Am I the only one that does this? It just sounds so fucking weird to say that I have hypothetical conversations with myself about events that may or may not even transpire

2. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

yea it happens it takes me longer to get to sleep now because of it

3. Docter Pepper

:werd: Aside from the room being too hot, this is the only thing that ever keeps me up at night

4. TofferZX3

TofferZX3 OT Supporter

:sadwavey: super analytical crew.... Usually when I get off work, I try to vegitate a little and not think - it doesn't ever happen though, and even if i sleep a lot I never feel truly 'rested' because my brain is usually in overdrive.

My escape that I found about 2 years ago was music. When i'm really playing music, the thinking stops completely, and i seem to operate on a more subconscious level.

I kinda waivered from the topic and just threw in my $.02 on the issue. Is this affecting your life adversely? Do you avoid real life conversations because you think you already know the answer? Would you consider yourself an introvert?

5. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

that's me. I'm constantly in therapy inside my head :hs:

6. Docter Pepper

Music helps but i often find a way to relate it to what's on my mind. Part of me thinks maybe I just need a phyciatrist so I can have someone to tell everything that I'm thinking to rather than just continue to tell myself about it.

I wouldn't say I'm an introvert. I can't remember the definition of it, but isn't that basically someone who would rather be alone than with people? :o If so that isn't me. I'm a social person. When I'm alone is when I really begin to over think things. I don't avoid real life things, but when a problem or issue presents itself I look into it for awhile before deciding what to do. That usually entails me thinking about multiple possibilities until I finally decide on one that makes the most sense.

It just gets out of hand when I think to myself about how I've had fake conversations in my head with a made up phyciatrist while considering if that is something I should look into. I don't know if I just have a lot of thoughts I'm holding back because I have no one to tell them to. I don't think I really have anyone in my life who I can talk to all of this about because everyone I know knows a lot about me. I'm pretty public with the happenings of my life, so everyone I know probably knows a little bit about everything on my mind, and I feel like that would cloud their judgement.

7. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

8. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

:rofl: its funny you say that and you live in AZ but I know what u mean it was sweat dripping hot in my room earlier but I got the AC on now :bowdown:

9. Wilddog

Wilddog OT Supporter

I'm like this too. The worst is in the morning, when I wake up I have a random song stuck in my head for at least an hour

10. TofferZX3

TofferZX3 OT Supporter

Ya that part doesn't sound like a problem -- seems like a sound idea to examine all the angles before making a decision. If you were analyzing to a fault -- to the point where you didn't act, then you may have a bigger issue. It sounds like you've got something deep to say but theres no one you consider suitable to listen.

Have you tried putting it all on paper? I keep a book, not so much a journal, but more of a ranting diary. If I ever need to write in it, my brain is usually so pent up that it's just a solid wall of text for 2-3 pages. Any entries I've done are usually months apart. Afterwards, I usually feel very relieved after taking a 'brain dump'. :rofl: Anyhow, that's how I manage, at least.

11. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

now i have melatonin for those nights when my mind just won't stop thinking.

12. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

I am literally studying people, focusing on things they've said, their tone, body language, etc. all day long. It even keeps me up before I finally fall asleep.

13. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

yup... i do it, too. i think waaay too much about a lot of things i probably shouldn't. :o i think about the past, the present, and the future. i think about what if's, etc.

i've been doing it moreso now than i have in the past simply because i believe i'm starting a new chapter in my life, and i'm scared about making decisions in general, not just making the wrong decision.

:hs:

14. frag

frag New Member

Yeah i do the same thing, lie in bed for hours at night analysing my day, my current situation, did i say the right thing etc etc.

It happens during the day if im not occupied too. Think its basicly if im not focused on something else, my mind is running 300kph making little things big problems etc

ugh

15. GaNkZoR

GaNkZoR _

In this crew :wavey:

16. CoffinRX2

CoffinRX2 New Member

Yep, definately and is the main cause of my insomnia because I cant shut off my brain and relax.

Xanax helps with this, .. along with other anti-anxiety meds ive found

17. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I pretty much have to be dead tired before I go to sleep. I feel that it helps to write down your thoughts. Like type it up in notepad or a blog. It helps to slow down your brain and give you a sense of satisfaction from exercising your mind.

18. Docter Pepper

I recently started writing stuff down in hopes of better gathering my thoughts. My plans were that once I was satisfied with what was written down, I would no longer need to go over them. That worked for like a day or two until there was the slightest change in the situation. It's just crazy; I run through every "what if" scenario in my head. Even ones that are impractical and make no sense. I mean, when I read some of the replies to this thread earlier, I found myself later generating my own responses while I was in the shower. I just think and think and think about any possible social setting. Mainly ones involving dramatic dialogue.

I'm not yet ready to get prescription pills to sleep. My sleeping isn't that bad. It's the daytime when I'm doing anything not that exciting. For an unrelated reason, my mother suggested getting tested for ADD this summer. I'm thinking of pursuing that while I'm still on their insurance. I've also been smoking a lot of pot lately. That's going pretty well

19. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

The thing is , 'thoughts' have a 'direction' , what you are doing is basically called 'the washing machine effect', where you run scenario's in the back of your mind in repetative circles , many people do that actually in failed relationships where they try to re-run the scenario's in order to give it a decent place in their minds, and they fail in that.

The thing is, thoughts are like dirty laundry that your mind tries to clean, the things that are cleaned you mind can give a decent place in a closet, however some stains just don't go away, and your mind keeps trying to wash them over and over again without succes. The thing is , the dirty laundry with stains that don't come out need to be 'thrown away'.

The only way to get out of a vicious circle is to jump out of it. This is done by redirecting the energy (or thought processing) into another direction.

The solution: is to bend the circle of thoughts into a linear positive progressive process. But how? When you feel that you are going in circles with your thoughts, Simply grab a book (story or scientific) and read it. Books follow linear (from left to right) thinking styles. By focusing on the book, your thoughts will be bended thinking into a linear direction.

That gives a lot more progress then going around in circles.

When going to bed, you have to press the OFF button on the washing machine. Sleep tight.

20. registeredPORK

registeredPORK Happy Poo Poo

I'm actually quite the opposite... where whether by myself or with a group of people I stop thinking and just space out... it makes things awkward :<

21. Mcgovlau

Mcgovlau Лоз Боз

I do the same thing yo. It's really bad sometimes. Sometimes I come to conclusions that some people don't like me so I back off completely, when in fact they don't dislike me at all :rofl:

I do better if I just act friendly as a default reaction. There is the exception if people really DON'T like me though :mamoru:

I would do the whole fake conversation thing too. I would also replay scenarios in my head to see what would happen if I had done something different in the past. One time a scenario that I had imagined came almost fully true and I was freaking out on the inside when it was happening. I thought I was on some strong drugs or something.

22. Docter Pepper

:eek3: That sounds about right, except I do it for everything, not just failed relationships. It probably stems from being self conscious and wondering what others are thinking about me. I've done a good job of getting past it externally. I don't think any of my friends would realize the things I've said about myself in this thread. Although I've been able to make myself more self confident, I still worry about stuff internally.

As I said earlier, I live a pretty public social life. Most of my friends know the greater details of the events stemming from a night of going out. I also like to tell stories about me and other people, so at this point of my life I don't have many secrets. I think this is why I'm afraid to open up to anyone I already know.

I suppose I could try reading a book. My efforts would probably be better directed towards homework, but I usually put that off as long as possible.

23. BwanaKuu

BwanaKuu New Member

Wow, great post, basically described how I've gotten out of this vicious cycle before. The problem is preventing these thoughts from coming back.:hs:

24. Mint

Mint Active Member

exercise.

Seriously it calms the mind so much - then you sleep like a log.

25. Docter Pepper

I think this is the reason why I like driving so much. It's a constantly changing environment and when I'm in traffic I have to analyze and keep track of multiple vehicles at once. I guess it's just something to live with. It's sort of nice to know I'm not the only one who does this :hs: