Does anyone else get really tired after 8 hours sleep?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Ep, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ep

Ep Guest

For whatever reason, I can sleep 6 hours and spring out of bed in the morning and be fine all day. I get 8 hours of sleep, I feel really tired in the morning and ready to go to sleep at 3pm.

I haven't been able to make any sense of it. I can work out the night of 6 hours, and have an off day the night of 8 hours, and I'll still be tired after the 8

2. Lolly Baggins

Lolly Baggins New Member

Agreed. Same shit with me man. Something with REM cycles I believe.

3. Ep

Ep Guest

Weird... I have been sleeping 8 hours EVERY night for awhile now but now that I have 7am and 8am classes, I can't always get 8 in. Somehow, on those days (despite training the night before) I feel better than I do after 8. I honestly feel like shit right now. Maybe it's because I went to sleep at 11 and that's too early for me?

4. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

quality of sleep is very important - are you getting good sleep? do you wake up a bunch of times? do you have sleep apnea?

i have experienced this many times before and always contributed it to the idea that if your body is used to x amount of hours, it is ready to wake up after x amount of hours, and once you hit x+1, x+2, etc. it has entered another deep sleep cycle. however this is a very primitive explanation and i doubt it makes any real scientific sense.

for me consistency (sleep hygiene) is key. i try to always go to sleep and wake up at the same times +/- an hour. (aside from occasional sleep-in days)

http://www.umm.edu/sleep/sleep_hyg.htm

5. Ep

Ep Guest

I have no problems sleeping at all. Now that I'm back in school AND hitting the gym, I literally fall asleep the second I go to bed. I don't have a great mattress but if that was the major problem, I think my mornings would always suck.. Also, my body is used to 8 hours (I would think) because I've been doing that consistently for a long time now. So why would 6 hours all of a sudden be much better?

It could be a mental thing... When I've slept for 6 hours or less, I wake up and practically shoot out of bed and my mind instantly thinks "did I just sleep? Damn that was quick". When I get 8 hours, I know I've gotten plenty of sleep. In fact today, I woke up before my alarm

6. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

i don't think it has anything to do with your mattress.

is your sleep schedule erratic or do you usually go to sleep/wake up at the same time?

7. TKEBoss

TKEBoss Nelson Sexors

Its funny you mentioned this...I've noticed the same thing.

When I had classes in college I would sleep 8, 9, or 10 hours a night. I would usually then crash around 4pm-7pm for a nap.

Now, I get 6 or 7 hours a night and go from 6am-11pm all day without a nap. I do not even feel tired or lagging during the day.

8. 60druidgurubash

60druidgurubash OT Supporter

im more affected by the time i wake up at. i can sleep 8 hours and wake up at 6 am and be tired as fuck but if i sleep from 4 am to noon then i feel fine.

9. Ep

Ep Guest

If I get 8 hours, I'm going to bed by 12 or 1. The older I have gotten, the more I hate getting up at 11am or later.

If I'm getting less than 8, it's because I have to get up early and there is no way in hell I'm going to bed at 9pm

10. Ep

Ep Guest

This is also pretty true for me. If it's still dark out when I wake up, I'm going to inevitably feel tired. This goes away the second I am out of my house though. These days, it's dark in the morning whether I get a ton of sleep or not

11. Ep

Ep Guest

Shit is weird dude! Maybe I should try 7 hours and see how that goes. I know docs recommend 8 hours but shit if I feel awful all day that isn't much help

12. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

i wish i can get 8 hours.

13. cbenedict

cbenedict OT Supporter

groggy after 8+ hrs

14. ZACKMORRIS

ZACKMORRIS Active Member

8 hours I feel like sleeping for another 4. If I sleep 4 hours, I'm wired.

15. TKEBoss

TKEBoss Nelson Sexors

Just wake up and don't try to fight the urge to lay back down for a snooze. It took me a day or two to get used to it. I love it now.

16. Ep

Ep Guest

That's what I do, I mean I have to get to class and all. It seems like there are other people with this same problem. Should I sacrifice an hour or two to feel better? Or is it going to hurt my gains etc?

17. TZ

TZ Banned

A considerable amount of sleep-related behavior is apparently hard-wired into human biology - humans in all cultures get tired, require sleep for good health, and have similar symptoms when sleep deprived. Scientific research has identified some genetic variations, including:
    A mutation that moves consolidated sleep earlier, resulting in a sleep cycle from 7:30pm to 3:30am.
    A mutation in BHLHB3 which apparently reduces the amount of sleep needed for healthy living from 8 hours to only 6.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep

i think it's only a small percentage of people who need 6hrs instead of 8, though. but no, i personally feel best on 8-9 hours of sleep.

18. TKEBoss

TKEBoss Nelson Sexors

I doubt a hour will make anything of a difference. Plus, you'll probably be able to sleep harder if you get under 8 hours and don't nap through the day.

I think that's why I have more energy now. Even though its way less sleep its a better quality sleep.

19. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

themoreyouknow.jpg

[​IMG]

20. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

Fuck no. Since I started working I've been getting ~6 hours down from 8-9 and I feel like shit most of the time. Progress in the gym has stalled too.

21. Ep

Ep Guest

what do naps have to do with the fact that I feel better on 6 hours?

22. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I tend to feel better on 6-7 hours, meaning I just feel more refreshed when waking up, get less sluggish during the day, and fall asleep more easily that night.

If I get 8 + hours it is harder to wake up, I am more sluggish all day, caffeine has no effect on me, and I can never fall asleep later that night at a reasonable hour.

Luckily my college schedule allows me to kinda pick and choose when I go to bed/get up. Lately I've been on a go to bed at 3am, wake up at 10:30 thing. I'd like to get back to a go to bed at 1am, wake up at 8am thing.

Less than 6 hours = get out of bed easily, but do not function well all day. Tired, mind is not sharp, physically weaker and less motivated to work out.

6-7 hours = seems optimal for me.

8-10 hours = sluggish, damn near impossible to wake up without hitting the snooze 3 times, and hard to fall asleep at night.

10-12 hours (did this for a couple semesters, lol) = wake up refreshed, wide awake all day, can't sleep for the life of me at night.

So I tend to shoot for 6.5-7 hours.

23. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Typically, yes. But I'm the same way. I will take a 30min nap and dream.

I used to NEVER dream (at least to the point of remembering it). I can recall going months on end without ever having a dream I remembered upon waking.

Now, I dream nearly every night, often several different dreams that are extremely vivid.

I'm attributing it to the 1mg melatonin I take probably 5 days out of the week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.