SRS Does anyone believe in the "guy you want to be" theory from Fight Club?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jay Pheezy, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Jay Pheezy

Jay Pheezy New Member

If you've seen the movie you know what I'm talking about. It's been a long time so it's fuzzy in my head but it's something a long the lines of Brad Pitt telling Ed Norton that he is the guy Ed sees himself as. In other words, in Ed's head, he always sees himself as Brad but never actually makes the effort to be him. Brad, in the movie, just played an overall better version of Ed.

The reason I bring it up is because I believe it's true- in my case at the least. There is a guy inside I see sometimes, the guy I want to be; and I mean in terms of personality and how I carry myself, not really in terms of future success. Obviously I'm making this thread because something is holding me back. The best reason I can really think up is maybe a combination of fear of failure/caring what people think. I'm doing my best to let that go, I've seen notable improvements over the last few weeks.

Another reason I bring it up is because I had a situation where I had a long road trip ahead of me a couple weeks ago on very little sleep. My friend recommended taking Adderall (prescription drug) and it did what it was supposed to- keep me focused during the drive. I was actually heading to a transfer orientation (I transfered schools.) It was interesting because while the drug helped me focus, it also pulled "that guy" out of me. I was transformed into a very upbeat, sociable, polite person, with no fear or care of what people thought about me. It's not that I'm not those 3 mentioned things on the normal case, I just am to a lesser degree. It was a great experience but I'd rather not depend on a drug.

So now that I wrote this thread out I don't really know what I'm looking for in terms of replies. I really just can't sleep and I guess I always wondered if a lot of people had another version of them deep inside.

Any comments/tips/suggestions are good :wavey:

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

There is a HUGE difference between pushing yourself to new levels that you never knew you could attain and multiple personality disorder. The guy in fight club had MPD, you just sound like you're discovering new parts of yourself that you never knew existed.

This includes when you just let go of your fear/caring what other people think and just take action. So while you're acting differently, you didn't split your personality.

Part of growing up is learning that we have more capabilities than we knew existed before. Throughout my 20s and 30s, I've continually pushed myself to new levels and have been surprised at what I'm capable of. But it's not a different person inside me. It's me letting go of fear and taking action.

3. eXyle

eXyle ׂ

um, well i'm working on the 2.0 version of myself. i know there are areas of my life i can improve upon and goals i would like to achieve, so i work towards them.

it's not to the point where i envision myself as a completely different person (in the movie, tyler is a completely different person than who he "normally" is). it's pretty much still me, just the best me i can be. i don't focus on aspects that are outside of my realm of influence (such as wishing that i looked different).

haha, the only time i do that is when i envision myself have super powers or being some elite cybernetic ninja, but that's beyond the scope of this topic.

4. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I totally believe this is true and to an extent, I'm starting to transform into that person.

At home, at work, with certain groups of friends, I'm the old me. When I'm at my National Guard weekends, I'm the other me. I don't think its that I have MPD or anything, I think the guys in my NG unit bring out the best in me. I'm going to Iraq in January and I'm hoping that will be the event I need to finally turn the corner in my life to become that person I've always wanted to be.

5. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

I've been pushing myself as well. Basically putting myself in situations I normally would've shyed away from the last few years.

6. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

I was very different a few years ago. I saw myself growing into a different person but when I realized I was not on that track I snapped to it. I stayed in school, changed majors, worked far harder in classes, worked on myself, etc. etc. Now I'm exactly where I wanted to be and stronger than ever.