Does anyone actually LIKE Windows Vista?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hawk_196, Jul 19, 2008.

1. hawk_196

hawk_196 Light Yourself on Water

I can't see any positives.. I recently (yesterday) got a new laptop from HP. Its a beast compared to my old computer, yet I really don't feel like I've made an improvement in performance.

My old computer had Windows XP and Ubuntu Fiesty installed
    2.8 Ghz Pentium 4
    512 mb PC 2600 ram
    and a 128mb nVidia 6600 GT video card.

My new laptop has Windows Vista Home installed
    AMD Turion 64 Dual Core 2.0 GHz
    3 GB DDR2 ram
    and an nVidia 7150 integrated card with 1 gb shared ram

But all the programs are still as slow as ever. Crap takes forever to load when I'm using the DVD drive. I don't know if my expectations were too high for a 64bit processor and 6x the amount of ram, but I had no problem running multiple processes in Ubuntu.

Some people say its the visual effects of Vista that clog it down, and I'm starting to think that it must be because they are so badly coded. I had Compiz Fusion running nonstop in Ubuntu and never had any hangup (and this is with multiple transparencies, physics effects, live previews and other demanding processes).

This has left me with an overwhelming distaste for the quality of this supposed Windows Upgrade. Not to mention the plethora of antivirus and security software that came preinstalled on the computer.... What are everyone else's thoughts on this Stunning New Windows

edit: Microsoft Smart Quotes messing everything up :uh:

2. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

its alright coupla my friends have it

3. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    4gigs of RAM
    8800GTS 512
    7200rpm drives x2

Vista runs pretty smoothly for me. :dunno:

4. Davis

Davis New Member

Vista runs better, for me, than XP ever did. :dunno:

5. hawk_196

you also have a dedicated card that is far superior to mine... does everyone need a high end graphics card just to run vista smoothly?

6. hawk_196

same computer? huh

7. Davis

Davis New Member

Same Compaq V2000 laptop.

8. philvia

philvia SUCKIN ON MY TITTIES LIKE YOU WANTIN ME CALLIN ME

my laptop has shared memory and runs vista just fine too? its just cheap gateway laptop. vista has been nice to me

9. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Active Member

I haven't experienced many problems but if I was given the option of Windows XP Pro or Vista, I would still take XP Pro.

10. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

runs better than my other computer on XP

then again, I have 3 gigs of ram in my vista comp

11. hawk_196

well I can't play Counter Strike for some unknown reason. I installed it from the CD too.

I'm blaming vista.

12. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

don't forget that laptop specs do not translate to desktops with respect to performance

(with the same specs, the desktop will perform better)

13. Sh0v

Sh0v New Member

With one gig of shared video memory for the video card that means vista has available 2gb of memory. It has been said vista runs with 2gb as xp does with 1gb.

An athlon 64 x2 is about 40% (which is probably what an amd turion is closet too) behind compared to a core 2 duo but I think your biggest bottleneck is its a laptop.

If you had a core2 duo desktop or even a phenom desktop with 4gb of ram or so with at least a geforce 8200 onboard or 8500gt or higher you'd have a much better experience. An ati comparable video card would be fine as well.

14. Davis

Davis New Member

No reason to get childish just because you don't believe me. It is my work laptop (I am an SAP consultant) so it gets used more than most. In my experience, people who bitch about like Vista are people who have never used it, Apple fanboys, or ignorant people who feel they know stuff they know nothing about.

Are there shortcomings? Yes. Are there features that you simply don't need and should turn off? Yes.

15. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

If you want to run Vista with full Aero effects and still run smoothly with a bunch of apps open, yeah, it'll help to have a dedicated GPU.

16. Davis

Davis New Member

:werd:

17. The Fugue

The Fugue New Member

Our company is still considering the changeover. I'm not looking forward to it from what I have experienced so far.

18. porsch1909

porsch1909 OT Supporter

Only thing I did on my PC was upgrade the RAM to 2GB and I think vista is much better than XP :dunno:

19. Vanilla Tarantino

Vanilla Tarantino OT Supporter

I have Vista and XP set to dual-boot on my laptop (Core2Duo, 2gb RAM, Radeon x1400), and I haven't booted into the Vista partition for probably half a year. I timed it once, and I was able to boot into XP and launch word, Opera, and AIM before Vista even made it to the log-in screen. Add to that that for some reason Vista decided to stop talking to my router (it did start talking to it again after about a week), and I was fed up with it.

20. ormand

ormand New Member

I have been using Vista Ultimate x64 since August 2007 and I have loved it then as much as I do now. The only issue I had - still have - is finding an internal tv tuner card that is supported for vista x64 and a few other minor drivers.

The pros outweigh the cons. And when you go back and forth between Vista and XP as I do for work, XP seems outdated.

21. jdw

jdw New Member

Going to be stuck with Vista for -ANY- new machine now aren't you?
    My home machines are staying with XP Pro up until I decide to run Ubuntu on one. Work machine isn't up from lease for another year or so I think but I'm afraid I'll be stuck with Vista once I get a new one. I have a feeling a few more people, including myself, will be dual booting primarily into Ubuntu for our day to day and keeping Vista there for the Adobe Suite programs.

22. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

a friend of mine bought an hp desktop that came with vista. it only has 1gb of ram. it runs like crap, it took him almost 20 minutes to install nero. he has about 100mb of ram free. he's like "well, they should give you the amount of ram you need from the factory"

yeah, hes retarded

i have vista on one of my desktop computers only because the tuner card will only work with vista media center and nothing else. tried linuxmce, mediaportal, winxp media center, mythtv etc, nothing will work except vista media center

23. Davis

Davis New Member

Not with enterprise licensing. :)

I agree with the statement that an IT department which switches to Vista is dumb; unless they have no other option.

24. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

Our entire company has gone to vista without a problem.. you just can't have monkeys running the network. Most IT depts that have problems moving over to vista are related to horseshit Domain Policies that don't work/break the domain controller.

25. Davis

Davis New Member

I say it because there really isn't a benefit to going to Vista. Why put your users through a transition, and put strain on your help desk, if you don't have to.