GUN Does anybody here shoot USPSA/competitively?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ultimate_Ninja, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Ultimate_Ninja

Ultimate_Ninja New Member

www.uspsa.org

I'd like to get into competitive handgunnery, but according to the website my M&P9c does not appear to be legal. I have access to a Ruger P89, but I fucking hate that piece of shit.

I'm just curious if anybody on OT does this, if they've got any advice, etc. etc. I found a range nearby that does USPSA shoots, and I'd like to go check one out and maybe see how I do. I'm sure I'd be terrible, but there's something sexy about running around and shooting at targets with a handgun for a competition :bowdown: :o

2. AB13

AB13 New Member

I compete. The 89 is okay, but not ideal. But I'd suggest, just get the gear set up for it, unless you are getting another gun and just get out there and shoot. Shoot what you have, then observe what others are using before you eventually upgrade your gear.

And no, your M&P9c would be legal, but only in Open division, which places you with the rest of the hotrod race guns of USPSA. You won't have any fun there.

But the most important part just get out there and start shooting. I would suggest starting out in Production Division with your P89. You'll need about 5-6 magazines, 4-5 mag holders a holster and gun belt and some bullets. Production division is limited to 10 bullets per mag, and most COF's (course of fires) can require up to 40-60 rounds.

I shoot in IDPA as well, and if you've never done action pistol, is actually a better start for a totally new shooter. But it's not as flashy and run and gun fun as USPSA.

let me know if there's anything else I can help answer for you specifically, or what kind of advise you need.

Just call the MD (match director) say "hey, I'm new but I want to get started in shooting USPSA." and he'll set you up. They are always eager to bring in new shooters and get started shooting.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  3. sprite

sprite Active Member

:wavey: I compete and RO.

Don't sweat the gun classification... just go shoot a couple of matches. Like AB13 said you'll be scored against the top-fuel guns, but who gives a shit. Nothing personal at all, but if your a new shooter then chances are you won't be competitive against similar guns either.

Go shoot, have some fun. By the time you decide you want to move from "participating" to "competing", you'll have a much better idea of what equipment you really want/need.

4. Ultimate_Ninja

Ultimate_Ninja New Member

There's a match Feb 10th at this place, I'm going to go check it out. Then there's a RO class in March, might go to that to just to help out and learn the sport better. :bowdown:

5. sprite

sprite Active Member

:cool: If you can get into the RO class definitely take it. There is a soft rule that you have to have been a USPSA member for at least a year to take the Level 1 class, but it is not unusual for them to waive that, especially if the class isn't full.