Does any protein powder NOT have artificial sweetners?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by lif, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lif

lif New Member

Fuck.. I swear I wouldn't care if it had a few more carbs but the increasing evidence of toxicity of almost all damn artifical sweetners is starting to get to me. Anybody know of any protein powders without sweetners such as : sucralose, aspartame, and acesulfame potassium?

2. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

plenty... if you like on they have a natural

3. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

What evidence of toxicity?

4. lif

lif New Member

They did a study on rats showing that acesulfame potassium caused chromosome abberations. Basically chromosome abberations lead to tumours.

"In the present study, following the guidelines of WHO, the cytogenetic test on mice gave a positive response. At 15 mg/kg body weight acesulfame-K, which is within the revised ADI does, the number of chromosomal abberations were not significant when compared with those of the control. However, at higher doses (60, 450, 1100, and 2250 mg/kg) acesulfame-K was clastogenic and genotoxic... the present findings demonstrate unequivocally that acesulfame-K is capable of interacting with DNA to produce genetic damage.

Food and Chemical Toxicology
    Volume 35, Issue 12 , December 1997, Pages 1177-1179

5. lif

lif New Member

Ah... thanks, never knew that, guess I shoulda roamed their site :o

6. getjacked

getjacked Guest

the ON whey chocolate natural is really damn good. it's the main one I buy

7. blam

blam New Member

Ok lets see... 2.2 g/kg...

ASSuming you arent a light weight and weigh around 180 pounds that would be 180 GRAMS of articifical sweetener in one day. The max you would probably consume is a few grams unless you where eat it pure (w/ no filler like maltodextrin which almost all have) with a spoon.

I am not saying that they are safe.. more research needs to be done. But how relivent do you think feeding RATS a dosage that is probably 60x greater then you will ingest is to humans?

Do people ever read studies closely or just the conclusion?

8. Jam_Master_J

Jam_Master_J New Member

yes if you like your protein to taste like shit... and lol @ worrying about artificial sweeteners.

9. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Are these the same mice that responded to Myo-Statin blockers? :noes:

10. lif

lif New Member

I read closely, I realized that rats receive much higher dosages than humans and it was shown to be 'safe' at the recommended level. But I'm not comfortable ingesting something that has been shown to without a doubt damage my DNA :sad2:

11. Martyr

Martyr New Member

Anything in excess is toxic. Who cares?

12. PepsiMax

PepsiMax New Member

Isn't that the study where the damage can't happen to humans due to the fact we are missing certain key factors that rats have. Search for that, theres a lot of misinformation on sweeteners.

13. lif

lif New Member

Not everything in excess produces tumours.

14. blam

blam New Member

A LOT of things you ingest do. Genetic mutations happen all the time. Just because a high dose causes mutations does not mean a low dose will do shit all ESPECIALLY in another species. That is the problem with this study.

Also, very few things are 100% proven non-carcenogenic. Do you live in a plastic bubble?

Just a few things that have more backing for being carcenogenic in much smaller doses:

-Most household cleaning supplies(ever eat something w/ a little bit of dish soap on your fingers?)
    -Plastics.. Microwaving your food in plastic or reusing plastic bottles or containers not ment for longterm use will release Dioxins into your food.
    -Ever eat burnt meat? Yep it is carcenogenic to a certain degree
    -A lot of perservatives in foods. From sulfides to dyes etc etc. Not saying they will give you cancer for sure but the link is as strong as that study you posted at the very least.
    -Pesticides on food. Despite what your mother said you CANNOT wash them off. Do you only eat organic food?
    -Anti-biotics and growth agents in milk and dairy. Again I ASSume you eat dairy. Do you make sure it is 100% organic.
    -Colors fastners in carpets and clothing. Yep.. some can even be absorbed through skin

Nevermind the organic mercuries and other heavy metals floating around in our food supply.

Basically, a shit load of things can cause mutations. If you get the chance take a first year genetics course at the very least, you will understand a lot better about how often and easy they take place.

I bet the vast majority of non-macro/micro nutrient components of our food, especially additives, would give cancer to rats in those types of dosages. Probably most of the medication a person can take too..

15. ACURA TL-S

ACURA TL-S OT Supporter

Conisdering that sucralose is 600 times sweeter than sugar, a few grams of it is a fucking shitload. Most of what is in those packets is filler.

Also, I didn't realize a study performed in 1997 was increasing evidence? :dunno: I figure that would have been increased by now.

Finally, the age old truth that you really can't compare rats to humans for stuff like this. The common example is that anabolic effect of clen in rats.

Finally, finally, if anyone is getting cancer from artificial sweeteners, it is me. Until that happens, I wouldn't worry. :mamoru:

16. ACURA TL-S

ACURA TL-S OT Supporter

Ya, my thing I always tell people as that I would bet my life that walking outside for five minutes even on a cloudy day has 100x more chance of causing cancer than drinking a diet coke.

17. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

this should help your vagina....

[​IMG]

18. Martyr

Martyr New Member

Oh? Who's gotten cancer from this shit? Mighty Mouse doesn't count.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.