GUN Does an AR need a float tube?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Soybomb, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'm happy with ar build, its a light weight build and I like that but I'm wondering how badly it needs a float tube. I seldom shoot at more than 100 yards so accuracy wise it doesn't seem necessary but it almost seems like it should have one anyway. I'd like to put a light on it so I bought a little rail thing that mounts on the FSB. Thats fine but now I'll have to put a tape switch on and find a way to mount the switch to the handguards. Wouldn't it to be easier to just put on a ring and a vfg in the right place for a thumb to the button?

I've been looking at little rests to carry with me for working up loads but wouldn't it just be easier to have a place to mount a bipod on the gun?

What do you guys think? Spend ~$150 on float stuff or a waste for me?

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

you dont have to, but it does give you more accuracy. if you're going to be shooting inside 100 yards, unless you want impressive MOA groups, you wouldnt need to FF the handguard.

what barrel length and gas system length are you using?

3. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

There was a recent article I read in a magazine that compared two identical AR's, one with standard handguards and one with a FF. They improved the accuracy from 2MOA to 1.2MOA at 200yds IIRC. I'd say if you're shooting under 100yds, to not worry about it.

Soybomb, any specs/pics of your build? Final weight?

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Well like I said, I recognize that accuracy isn't going to be much, but its more a question of if they're almost a must have if you plan on using any accessories on the gun.

[​IMG]
    CMMG lightweight barrel, 16". I love the way the gun balances with the slightly heavier stock.

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Shoot the gun now and see what kinds of groups your getting and evaluate if you need a free float handguard. I would put all my money in a good scope before I started messing with other stuff that adds slightly to the accuracy of the rifle.

You can monopod off the magazine if you add a arredondo basepad. Before the bipod I used to 30 round mags clamped together and both had a arredondo basepad. Used this to monopod off of and it worked well. I only use the bipod because I'm shooting open class. When I shot tactical class I was pretty anti bipod. I can shoot just as well with a bipod as without. If your shooting off a bench. Try sliding your seat back and then putting the handguard on the table. Basicly your barracading off the table. Then hold the handguard down with a overhand grip (top of handguard palm down). This is really stable.

I'm going to take some pictures of different rifle positions later next month. I got roped into teaching a intro to 3 gun class and will be working on course material. At matches they always make these weird props of different heights that your forced to shoot off of. I often get asked "What's the best way to shoot off of this. The worse are the ones where the height is such you can't use a knee because it's too low or high. Your forced to use some contorted seated position or squat. Both put a lot of tension on your back and make holding on a 300+ yard plate a pita.

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Hmm maybe I'll just rig up the ugly tape switch and learn to deal then :big grin:

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

for accessories a regular rail will work fine. the troy industries MRF-DI is $157 shipped and locks up super tight - i believe i first used the comparison to a 14 year olds twat.

if you're going to have the light attached to the FSB, just get some electrical tape and attach it to the handguard. friend of mine does this on his lightweight and it works just fine.

8. hsracer201

hsracer201 New Member

i LOVE the daniel defense rails i have on my carbine, but they are certainly not necessary.

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

If I were going to spend money on stuff I think I'd get the jp enterprises tube, light weight, floating, cheap, versatile.

10. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

Omega?
    i`ve been thinkin of tossin an omega 9.0 on the beowulf

11. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

The JP handguard is the best in my opinion. The railed handguards look cool, but heavy, and weak sauce.

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I don't see the point when the JP is anywhere from 115-150. Thats just plain affordable for a lightweight float tube. Cool sells I suppose :big grin: Brownells says they're adding the medium gas system one to their catalog in a few weeks.

13. sprite

sprite Active Member

I ordered a carbine length Omega Rail. :dunno:

Expensive but when you figure the difference between that and some of the less expensive rails in terms of the overall cost of the rifle its pretty neglible.

I just like the aspect that its a true FF, and I don't have to take anything apart or cut anything off to mount it.

Weight wise... Omega Rail is 8oz... JP lists the carbine tube at 10.2. The JP includes the barrel nut in the weight... the Omega doesn', but whats a barrel nut weigh? I'd imagine that by the time you've bolted a couple of rail sections on the JP tube the weight differences are a wash.

14. hsracer201

hsracer201 New Member

nah, "m4" rail 7.0 is what is marked on it. :bigthumb: