Dodge Stratus (trashed interior) BLGM to the resuce!

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by wagonproject, Oct 11, 2008.

1. wagonproject

wagonproject New Member

My aunt asked me to replace a headlight bulb in her car while her and my uncle were gone for a few days. After replacing the light bulb, I decided to clean the car up for her. Her and her husband (my uncle) own greenhouses/a dog so its used for everything, hauling plants, dog carrier, junk carrier. I did his car not to long ago http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-brag/109342-2005-gmc-envoy-trashed-interior.html It was mostly an interior job, as the exterior just got a quick wash. I didn't take any exterior pics as it wasn't really bad (dirty) just a lot of tar and the paint is in poor condition.

Interior
    Vacuum with shop vac (6hp) - vacuuming, brusing, vacuuming, brushing...
    Carpet/seats spots treated with 303 carpet cleaner
    Carpets/seats scrubbed with a mix of Meguiars APC (4 ounces) and Oxy Brite (1-2 tablespoons)
    Carpets/seats "Extracted" with the BLGM (I emptied the dirty water container 25 times)
    All interior panels scrubbed with Meguiars APC (4:1)
    All interior panels protected with 303.
    All glass cleaned with Stoners Invisible Glass.

Before

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some 50/50 shots, the passenger side floor was worse as there was a baby seat in the back on that side.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BLGM in action

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Making progress

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After

The carpet is pretty wore, so a lot of the darker spots are just where the carpet is wore/torn through, not dirt.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the lack of pics. Towards the end I was concentrating on finishing as they were coming home soon. And for the lack of after pics as I finished 10 minutes before they came home (it was a surprise "clean job")

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Huge improvement! :eek3:

Too bad it will be trashed in a month. I have a few customers like that, just a never ending chore cleaning up after them. It is job security though. ;)

3. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

High-five for ya on that job!! That is a MAJOR cleaning job. I'm sure your Aunt was thrilled with surprise cleaning, too. Kudos for your hard work. :bigthumb:

4. wagonproject

wagonproject New Member

Thanks guys! And she said now shes afraid to even get in it, so I think she'll be easy on it for awhile, lol.

5. athan

athan Guest

newb here. BGLM?

6. Scottwax

Bissell Little Green Clean Machine or whatever they call it now.

7. athan

athan Guest

I actually found one and order it. My dad bought a car with a trashed interior i want to try to clean with it.

What cleaner do you use? 1/8 wool light or something else when using the LGCM?

8. wagonproject

wagonproject New Member

I used oxy brite (in a white container, its powder) and meguiars APC. Next time I am going to just use one or the other. But mix it up in a bucket of water and take a brush and put it on the carpet with it. Then scrub till you can't anymore, lol. I just use straight water in the BLGM. First suck up the stuff I put on the carpet and then go back and spray water and suck it all up again. And repeat a lot if it looks like this, lol.

9. Scottwax

I have one but I don't use it since shampooing and then wet-vacuuming seems to work at least as well and is faster for me. I use BioKleen's Traffic Lane Cleaner (32:1 dillution ratio!) on carpets and cloth seats. I use the Woolite/water on leather and vinyl.

10. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Where are you getting it from? I went to Bi-O-Kleen's website and apparently they only sell to suppliers.

11. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

Wow. Nice turn around. I think sometimes it would be better for the customer (and the detailer) if the carpet would just be replaced. I'm thinking of actually offering this to really bad jobs.

Great work though. That little machine really works.

12. Slider

Slider Resident Lurker OT Supporter

13. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Yeah. I've got one that I've never used. My girlfriend's mom has been borrowing her car for some time now and I told her I'd detail it for her when she got it back. I have a feeling I'm going to have to do a similar job to her car as the TS did for his aunt. I think it's time to break out that Bissell.

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  14. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

Since I have a shop now, I'm breaking down and getting a Mytee extractor. I hear they make you a return on your money in weeks.

15. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

I've been contemplating the Durrmaid extractor myself, but after seeing how well the little Bissell worked, I may just save some coin and buy that instead.

16. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

I too had one but after carrying it in my truck and doing several vehicles, it got cracked and leaked. I just don't think it was designed for everyday use. Say 1-2 SUVs a day.

17. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Ahhh, and there sir, is the rub. Of course it would be too good to be true!

18. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

:werd: to both. I honestly don't know how one of my regulars does it... 90k mercedes and that thing is trashed on the inside every single month... *sigh*