Dodge, Chevy, or Ford

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Guest, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Any opinions would be appreciated. I'm looking into getting a medium/full size truck or SUV. It has to be comfortable as a daily driver and be able to easily haul a 4,000lbs boat. Of the research I've done it seems that Chevy is known for having engine/tranny problems but Ford has a bad rep. in the press lately. I'm considering Dodge Durango or Ram, Chevy Tahoe or Silverado and Ford F-150 maybe Explorer.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Durangos are nice if you like to pay a ton for gas, and like to take it to the shop for tranny problems. :(

My cousin, his girl and my aunt all bought new 01 Explorers recently. They are all very happy and to my knowledge have had no problems. Aside from taking it in for new tires. :rolleyes:

Chevy, I personally love the Tahoes. Dont know much about them mechanically.

Never thought I would have ups for ford, then again wasnt my expierance with ford so....:big grin:

3. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

I have a 97 F150 and I love it! If you wanna find out more about F150's or any other Ford truck or SUV go to www.F150online.com they have a forum with alot of info in it. There are some people who have problems but when you buy he best selling vehicle you're bound to have a few.

My truck:
    1997 F150
    4x4
    Supercab
    Off-Road Package
    4.6 V8

I would definetly buy another but I would get the 5.4 for more power. Plus the 5.4 has coil-overs rather than plugs. The plugs in the 4.6 can be a bitch to get out.

4. nissanpower

nissanpower I :heart: PeyPey

I don't know how much it will tow, but the Tundra is a great daily driver, and extremely reliable. If it will tow your boat, you should at least take a look.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for your help guys. Maybe I also need to look at the Toyota. But when it comes to trucks I'm just partial to the looks and power of the American trucks.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Tundra #1

I have had my Tundra for only 3700 miles but every day I like it better. The access cab is a little smaller than you would find in any domestic full size. I drove them all and with same equipment they price out within $1000 of each other.

Another kikker is it came up number one in crash test in the Insurance Institute for Highway safety testing. Gotta go with that!

I do not have a trailer but says it can pull up to 7200 Lbs. It has pleny of pep!

I know, I sound like a Toyota spokesman

enuf

7. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

tundra not as good as people think

id go with the chevy truck

teh toy is basicaly a car with a bed i know it has a v8 and stuff but the motor makes verry little torqe it will get better milage but i wouldnt tow with it :blue:

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Toyota is what i will go with. It will last you forever and they can tow just fine. You will prolly never have any problems with the engine if you take care of it. It tops over ford dodge and chevy.
    .......Under_Score

9. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i would have to disagree the toy cant tow near as much as a chevy or ford and its like diving and s10 wich i own its just no tthe same as a full size truck

10. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Brand New Trucks...

Ford F-Series
    -Tends to do everything well
    -Excells in no real areas
    -Lightning model is damn cool
    -Practical Supercrew body style available

Ford Super Duty
    -Rides better than F-Series IMO
    -Uses more gas
    -Much more durable and more work oriented (solid beam axles!)
    -Great off road ability
    -weak V10

GM Trucks
    -Excellent Ride, Very quiet, Excellent Brakes
    -Powerful efficient V8s and transmissions
    -Full of thoughtful features and touches
    -Largest extended cab available
    -Pricey with top options
    -Badass diesel, largest V8 offered in any current production vehicle
    -Optional Allison Transmissions!
    -No real four door model to compete with the Supercrew?!

Dodge Ram
    -Big Rig Looks, very aged platform, aged engines
    -Interior real cheap on base models. Even the leather interior doesn't have a true leather rear bench, shame! But that can be a plus for work only vehicles since you won't mind getting it real dirty.
    -Awesome off-road performance, tough leaf spring solid axle suspension with Dana 44s and up to Dana 80s.
    -An honest to God lever acutated transfer case
    -horrible gas mileage compared to the competition
    -Badass V10 and diesel engines
    -No full size rear doors available
    -New model debuts very soon, but more evolutionary than revolutionary.

Toyota Tundra
    -Smooth refined performance much like GMs, good mileage.
    -Sophisticated V8, but it's the only engine available...
    -F150 wannabe styling
    -Skimpy extended cab
    -Good off-road ability
    -Seems geared more for people who just want to drive a truck instead of really use a truck.

If it were me, I'd probably look into a variation of GM's fullsize pickups. They are head and shoulders above the competition and run very well against Toyota, except they can be better prepped to do what job you want it to.

Next year's GMC Sierra Denali will also feature four wheel steering, damn!

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for that Trishield

12. Guest

Guest Guest

My mom drives a Toyota 4Runner, barly 200 horsepower. Peace of crap. Nice inside, though.

Go with GM.

13. 86 Bird

86 Bird eh

I would go with a chevy 1500 or the f150. Chevy has more power than ford, But ford is more durable and just looks better. Well the F250's look alot better than the chevy of gmc's 2500.

TriShield i have heard people say that too. My dads friend has a chevy 1500 and he drove my dads f250 SD once and said it rides better than his 1500

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Side note:

Wouldent Ford and Chevy have a legal issue if they both have trucks with 150 in the names?

Ford DID stop Toyota from naming their truck the T-150...

Hmm...

15. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

dotn forget dodge and chevy and dodge are 1500 not 150

16. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

dotn forget dodge and chevy and dodge are 1500 not 150

my bad dodge is 1000 i think hell i duno ill go back to my drinking

17. nissanpower

nissanpower I :heart: PeyPey

I just had a close look at the Chevy Avalanche. The thing is ugly as shit, but it sure is functional. If you're looking for pure function, that thing has them all beat. It's almost like having a truck and an SUV all in one. Overpriced tho....

18. bokhan

bokhan i love you

I like trucks that look like trucks.. F150 is a great looking truck in my book.

19. Good man:bigthumb:

20. You can always get a base model F150 for about 12,000 with a tow package. a 4.2 liter v6 can easily pull a 4000 lb boat, my friends dad has a green 4.2 liter f150 and it pulls around their family boat and he pulls abunch of stuff, i saw him pull a car around before. i was shocked!!

21. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Yeah, you don't need a large engine to do some good towing like what you described. The 4.2 Ford engine is quite a workhorse, as is the 4.3 GM engine. Too bad Chrysler's 3.9 leaves a bit to be desired, even in the fuel economy area...

My folk's construction business uses a '96 Chevrolet half ton 4x4 with the Vortec 5.0 V8 automatic transmission. I've heard terrible things about the 5.0 but it has been a tremendous engine for us. It pulls up to 8,000lbs., has 220 horsepower, and gets 22mpg (recently went to Minneapolis and back achieving 18mpg combined driving) on the highway. Never had trouble with it either and it has 101k on it as I type thing. Pretty good performance I'd say.

So have you made a decision or driven anything yet totenhosen?

22. Guest

Guest Guest

Right now I'm leaning towards a Ford F-150. I just prfer the style as well as the drive of the Ford. I also like a lot of the aftermarket parts for it and it seems that you can find used ones for a much better price than the Chevy's.

23. Very true indeed.
    I've just recently discovered the truth behind why soo many kids have imports and there is more hooked up imports than trucks. Truck parts are way more expensive!!!! Almost every part for imports cost approx. $100 everything on my truck costed twice that. :crying:

24. sohowcome

sohowcome Guest

Man you should definetly Get a F-150 Lighting.... super sweet truck and holy god is it fast....... www.svtperformance.com for more info on what it can do........

-zach

25. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

go with the gm trucks, they have a cool tow/haul button thats just like adding a shift kit with out really adding a shift kit. my dads got a 2000 2500series silverado with the 6000series engine. 300hp 360ft lbs of torque it hauls ass. we have a 34foot 5th wheel camper...it pulls it with ease. It gets perty good mpg for how we drive it. interiors nice in them too, not cheesy like the ford, the dodge has a nice interior though ill give it that. but weve had no problems with our chevy yet and weve had it almost 2 years.