A&P Documentary film making

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Travism, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Travism

Travism New Member

Hi all,

I know this is a photography forum but there is no dedicated film making forum so I guess it is close enough.

I am planning on filming a documentary as a part of an volunteer outreach component for my master's thesis. This will be my first attempt at film making but I would be interested in getting into producing documentaries.

I plan to purchase a video camera soon and I am looking as the Panasonic HVX 200A. I would like a camera that is capable of shooting video suitable to show on television but my budget is limited to $4500-5000 Canadian.

What do people think of this camera. Is it suitable for what I plan to do? Also are there any other cameras out there that are comparable?

Thanks for your input!

2. Climbing Cracker

Climbing Cracker I am the Devil. And I am here to do the Devil's w

HVX is a great camera. check into the Panasonic DVX-100B, or Canon XL2, unless you absolutely need HD footage. It'll save you about half the cash. I could be mistaken, but I don't think you're gonna need HD footage, especially for TV. Also check out Canon XH-A1.

Basically, you can get a camera more than capable for 2k or less.

Ask here too: www.dvxuser.com

hope this helps :wavey:

3. Travism

Travism New Member

Thanks for the input!
    I think I want HD. This way I have it if I need it in the future (I don't plan on buying another camera for a while after this one).

4. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

If this is your first attempt, I'd seriously consider renting instead of purchasing unless you're going to be shooting for weeks on end.

5. Travism

Travism New Member

Shooting will take place over the entire summer so I think I will be better off to own rather than rent...Thanks for the other option though!

6. Climbing Cracker

Climbing Cracker I am the Devil. And I am here to do the Devil's w

wisdom. :bowdown: