WEB document outline question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by White Stormy, Mar 19, 2010.

1. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

Which elements of an XHTML/HTML5 page should be explicitly included in the document outline?

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

You're exceeding my ability to keep up with HTML5.

Should not happen. :wtc:

I would think everything should be listed in the outline. However, the section element may only be used when explicitly listed in the outline. So, yes, the navigation would be a good section. But don't veer too far off into the deep end, using divisions would keep your code clutter free while giving you the ability to properly style your elements (and script them, as stated).

3. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

:rofl: I'm not against divs, I just want to squeeze as much meaning as possible into my HTML.

I'm really just wondering right now how document outlines are used. If they're only used for screen readers, learning how a screen reader functions could answer my question, but if the outlines have other uses, there may be multiple answers. I don't know how a user interacts with a website through a screen reader, though. It seems like knowing what navigation options are available would be pretty important, but maybe the HTML5 "nav" element is enough to add that kind of accessibility and the outline really should be left to page content. :dunno: I'll research until I find an answer with which I'm happy. I was just hoping someone here might already know it :x:

Off topic, but I've been trying a new IDE called JetBrains PhpStorm. It's the only piece of software I've used in years that I'd actually consider buying.