Document Imaging and storage

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SLED, Apr 2, 2007.

1. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

So I'm looking for a way to scan all hard copy documents that come in and out of my business. Currently I just scan to a shared drive, and have a dummy folder structure to separate out types of document, year, month, etc. (major PITA)

What I really want is a solution (like MS Sharepoint) where I can scan these documents in, it will ask me for metadata (it can be 1 generic field, i don't care) and then allows me to search and find shit later. i.e. Scan my electric bill and add metadata: "bill aps electric 2006 may"

This demo sums up a lot of what I would like to do, but I don't want to pay for it :o Well, I have access to a sharepoint server, so I get that for free, but if possible, don't want to pay for a 3rd party app.

demo: http://www.knowledgelake.com/solutions/demo/KL2007Demo/KL2007Demo.html

Is there a way to get sharepoint out of the box to handle this kind of stuff?

2. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Never looked at that product, we use something called Laserfiche. We use it throughout the whole County for pretty much everyone to archive their hard copies. Relatively cheap and the hardware requirements are that outrageous. Might be worth looking into . . .

3. gnp

gnp New Member

i don't know of a free sharepoint add on that does dm. If you want to write your own, sharepoint's extension model is very simple (ascx). I would be willing to point you in the right direction as far as db and app design, document management and imaging is my primary domain.

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

:cool:

yea i was afraid that i would end up going down this road :emb: Thx for the help, I'll let u know if end up doing anything custom