COMIC DoctorDoom's 1000th Post v. San Diego Comic-Con 2007 v. Wasn't this 2 months ago?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by DoctorDoom, Sep 24, 2007.

1. DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Doom always keeps his word. OT Supporter

I wanted to save my 1000th post for something special involving Warskrull, but we know what happened there. I've been so busy with work that I've been neglecting OTCC, but hopefully I shouldn't be doing that anymore. As a consolation prize, here are some pics from the San Diego Comic Convention 2007.

2 Weird things heard at the Con:
    1. "I saw the hottest chick at the con standing over there yesterday."
    -Said by one overweight guy to another overweight guy. Of course this was while hitching a ride in one of those bicycle taxis.
    2. "Did you know Adrian walked in on me while I was changing the other day? I was standing in my bra, and he just stared at me. What a douche."
    -Said by a girl on the street to her friends. I had to paraphrase slightly because I don't remember the exact wording. Sorry, no pics of the girl (don't worry you're not missing anything).

Wednesday Preview Night:
    Obligatory pics of signs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1st stop, Ryan Ottley's (Invincible artist) section of the Image booth
    [​IMG]
    While waiting in line for a sketch, I turned around and saw Zach Selwyn from G4TV followed by Ghostbusters.
    [​IMG]
    Here's Ryan doing a sketch of Rogue for someone.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Walked over to Artist's Alley. Looked for Jason Howard (Astonishing Wolf-Man), but he couldn't make it today.
    Checked out Chris Giarusso's (Bullpen Bits and Mini-Marvels) stuff quickly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I guess Jim was still finishing All-Star Batman & Robin.
    [​IMG]
    Ran back to Image for a signing with Robert Kirkman (Everything good at Image) and Charlie Adlard (The Walking Dead). Wouldn't you know it, Charlie's British. He's one of the nicest guys I've ever met. You wouldn't expect it from a guy who draws flesh being chewed off. Caught Jim Valentino in the background.
    [​IMG]
    Bought an Invincible print (only 200 made). Sorry for the bad lighting, this was taken in the hotel.
    [​IMG]
    Original art by Charlie. It's not a super important piece, but I bought it for sentimental reasons. I got it because I received a no-prize for catching the hand being flipped from panel 4 to 5 (read the letters page in The Walking Dead 33 for my letter).
    [​IMG]
    Also got a print by Charlie. Limited to 25.
    [​IMG]

Thursday:
    Woke up late. Parking was crazy.
    Here's a news camera guy talking to some people in their cars about the con.
    [​IMG]
    Another shot.
    [​IMG]
    I was going to get another shot of him, and then these 2 guys walked by. This pic was probably a bad idea.
    [​IMG]
    Line of cars to get in the parking structure, which of course was already full.
    [​IMG]
    Finally found parking, and walked down the street. They put these banners all over the street lights.
    [​IMG]
    Quick shot of an ad for the “Coraline” movie, based on Neil Gaiman's work.
    [​IMG]
    Hey, it's Mickey!
    [​IMG]
    This booth had more Disney statues like above, but kept this awesome Rocketeer below. What a shame.
    [​IMG]
    The cast of Spider-Man 3.
    [​IMG]
    A coffin for Rob Liefeld's drawing ability. Or to promote ABC's new show "Pushing Daisies." You decide.
    [​IMG]
    Close shots of the Mach 5.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    How could I not take a picture of this?
    [​IMG]
    Big Bart Simpson.
    [​IMG]
    Went to wait in line for the Lost panel about 1.5 hours before it started. They let us in about an hour before it started.
    [​IMG]
    The audience quickly filled in everywhere.
    [​IMG]
    Some Legos.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Saw these trucks advertising the re-release of Blade Runner. They showed scenes from the movie.
    [​IMG]

Friday:
    I forgot my camera today :mad: I mainly just went to panels, and checked stuff out.

Panels visited:
    1. Image Founders Reunion - The original founders in one room for the first time. It was in a big hall, so half was still empty.

2. Image Comics Show - Just a basic preview of upcoming comics, followed by a Q&A. 99% of the questions were for Robert Kirkman, since no one cared about the other writers/artists there. He made the point (twice) that there are other people there. Invincible news - next year there will be a story arc focusing on Allen the Alien. Cory Walker (original Invincible artist) will also be doing a few issues. Brian Posehn (The Sarah Silverman Show, priest in FF:Rise of the Silver Surfer) made the last few questions funny by addressing the people with questions by their shirt color. The final person being "dirty white shirt." Room was 95% packed.

3. Vertigo Panel - nothing interesting to report. Room was 98% packed.

Other stuff:
    -Met up with Batton Lash. He does an indie comic called "Supernatural Law" about lawyers who defend monsters. Also a very nice guy. He's done a few Radioactive Man comics. His biggest claim to fame is the classic one-shot "Archie Meets the Punisher" (I bought it years ago :o).

-Met up with Stan Sakai. He does "Usagi Yojimbo." He's probably the nicest guy you'll ever meet. More on him later.

-Ran into Jason Howard (Astonishing Wolf-Man). Chatted with him a bit, bought some art and the prints he had.

Saturday:
    Apparently the Hilton Hotel steals from the community.
    [​IMG]
    Peanut butter jelly time?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nice costume of Roger from "American Dad."
    [​IMG]
    Went to check out Ryan's stuff again. Here's a print he was selling.
    [​IMG]
    His prices so you know what to save up for next year.
    [​IMG]
    Him working, and some art.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ninja photo. The guy with black hair is from G4TV, I don't remember his name. He's been going the past few years as Peter Parker/Photographer/Open Shirt revealing Spider-Man suit underneath. I believe the Gwen Stacy is his real life girlfriend.
    [​IMG]
    Mini-mates!
    [​IMG]
    Checked out Stan Sakai's booth again. Bought the pins you see in the upper left.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I bought this piece of original art.
    [​IMG]
    Bought the print on the left.
    [​IMG]
    Bought each of the sketchbooks.
    [​IMG]
    Went back to Chris Giarusso. Checked out his stuff again. Why buy when you can take pictures?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I sat down on the floor to take a break (everyone does) and caught this guy putting the finishing touches on his costume, with his girlfriend behind him.
    [​IMG]
    Look at that. You know he got laid that night.
    [​IMG]
    I've seen this Dick Tracy a few times before.
    [​IMG]
    Bad picture of Raven and Flash.
    [​IMG]
    Deathstroke.
    [​IMG]
    I left for lunch, and it just so happened that Cliff Chiang (artist for upcoming Green Arrow/Black Canary comic) was in front of me. I don't know how he survived the heat in that coat.
    [​IMG]
    I ate lunch at a mall nearby. I found it interesting that they had an ash tray right next to the elevator.
    [​IMG]
    While eating, I saw this guy talking on his phone. He kept saying something about "Spider-man is a good deal right now, it's about 600." He kept pacing back and forth too. I don't know if he was a movie producer, or just someone into comics with a fashion sense.
    [​IMG]
    I mean, just look at those shoes.
    [​IMG]
    I've never seen an ad for a movie painted on elevator doors.
    [​IMG]
    The Incredibles v. Joker and Harley. I didn't even notice the guy in the middle till now. PSG's nemesis Green Shirt Guy? :noes:
    [​IMG]
    Time for a relaxing view of the water outside.
    [​IMG]
    Oh wait, I forgot I'm in line for the Futurama panel with a sneak peek of the new DVD. Yes, the line snaked all around inside and continued outside.
    [​IMG]
    Line's moving.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Almost inside.
    [​IMG]
    Saw these Blade Runner guys taking a break.
    [​IMG]
    I ended up not getting in, and just waited for the Joss Whedon panel. I did get a free Futurama comic though.

Here's Andy Runton's section of Top Shelf. He does a cute indie called "Owly." I was gonna buy some stuff but wanted to get a sketch from Chris Giarusso.
    [​IMG]
    I thought about asking Chris for a sketch of Omni-man, but I wanted him to do something he hasn't done. What could he be drawing? There seems to be a Futurama comic to the side he's using for reference...
    [​IMG]
    Why it's of Doctor Doom of course! (Actually I got a sketch like this one last year, a colored one is my av)
    [​IMG]
    It's glorious Bender! Complete with cigar per my request. There's Jason Howard drawing behind him.
    [​IMG]
    Talked to Jason again quickly while he was in the middle of doing this Science Dog sketch. Right before I said hello a bald guy was checking on its status and then walked away. Jason told me the sketch was for Cory Walker, the same bald guy who was right there! I bought the prints you see under the sketch.
    [​IMG]
    Got this quick shot of Jason's art. He still had the last page from Wolf-Man #2, but he wanted $400 for it. Too much for me sadly.
    [​IMG]

I'll add some better shots of the art I bought (most you've seen above already) later. I hope this thread was mildly interesting. I also hope the bandwidth holds out. ibthreadfailure.

2. AJAX

AJAX OT Supporter

sweet stuff man, looks like you had a good time

3. void

void oh yeah?

i'm going next year, i've been eyeing some ottley original art from Invincible for quite a while :hs:

nice bag of swag you grabbed up, should have got some more sketchbooks...even if you didn't want to keep them, those things go for crazy cash on ebay.

4. Hiero

Hiero New Member

Nice Sakai pics. The deathstroke also looks very nice. :noes:

5. Crunks

Crunks Active Member

looks fun. i plan on going next year

6. Crunks

Crunks Active Member

sketches = drawings done and brought with them??

commission = a drawing of your request?

7. siniquezu

siniquezu New Member

i like your commentaries :)

8. DoctorDoom

If you can't wait until next year, check out http://splashpageart.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=31

They deal in all his art. If you do wait, I'd suggest buying from him directly while he's at the booth. At the end of the show he'll give them the art directly, and of course they'll then add their own markup. They actually had a booth there too. It's where I got the Walking Dead art. And Charlie's print :wiggle:

Sketchbooks on ebay...I'll think about it next time.

9. DoctorDoom

Thanks. I liked the Deathstroke costume too. Too bad I was trying to catch a panel or else I would have got a better shot.

10. DoctorDoom

Good questions.

Sketch - generally a drawing that was made quickly. Anything from a quick doodle taking 10 seconds, to a more complicated drawing taking no more than say 10 minutes. Some bring sketches for sale (like Chris Giarusso), but I'd say the pro's tend to bring actual art from comics they've worked on. Of course many will do a sketch for you either for free or for a fee.

Commission - a drawing that you "commission" from the artist. The difference is the drawing can be more complicated (to a point) and they'll spend their time on it. These will look more professional and cost a lot more.

11. Nader_D

Nader_D HAHAHEHHUH ---- POOOHhHhHHCHhh! OT Supporter

:bowdown: thats fucking awesome

12. void

void oh yeah?

yeah, that's where i've been looking at ottley's stuff at. the prices arn't TOO insane compared to albertmoy.com. that guy sells an obscure charcter page penciled by john cassaday for like $300.

also, if you're into sketchbooks too...check out http://www.stuartngbooks.com they buy up a lot of sketchbooks from artists and sell them for decent prices (unless they are running low or down to the last one). if i had to recommend one, it would be the Chris Sanders sketchbook, it's amazing (he's the guy who animated Lilo & Stich).

13. Nader_D

Nader_D HAHAHEHHUH ---- POOOHhHhHHCHhh! OT Supporter

I hate to do this in this thread...but what happaned to warskull :noes:

14. DoctorDoom

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out.

15. DoctorDoom

The thread is here: http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3341233

Cliffs: Host shut it down because their policy prohibited >50% of traffic to be for one filetype.

16. Jaron95

Jaron95 "Gattai" dattou?!

Great thread. Would read again. A++++

:bowdown:

17. TotalEclipse

TotalEclipse New Member

18. Sirius

Sirius OT Supporter

cool as hell