COMIC DoctorDoom at San Diego Comic-Con 2009 v. 56k stay out if you value your bandwidth

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by DoctorDoom, Aug 7, 2009.

1. DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Doom always keeps his word. OT Supporter

Observations about the con:
    1. For the first time, security was really strict about sitting down in the outside hallway. You had to stand or try sitting in an area with no direct walking traffic.
    2. The hottness level of booth babes was the highest I've ever seen.
    3. There were a lot more female fans as well. Not sure if it was because of Twilight, or just boyfriends dragging along their girlfriends. For all of the guys in the latter group, I hate you all.
    4. If you want to get into Preview Night next year, you better buy the 4 Day badge WITH Preview Night ASAP. They're going to be selling a 4 Day badge with and without the option. I already bought mine at the con, and they were the same price.

On to the pics!

Some exclusives swag I bought. PM me if anything interests you.
    [​IMG]

Thursday:
    Arrived a little late. In line here to pick up my badge, and caught G4 interviewing Blanka. Only at SDCC could you see this without being high.
    [​IMG]
    Going up the escalator. Took this artsy photo. Insert vagina joke here.
    [​IMG]
    Snaking my way through the line.
    [​IMG]

Archie Panel
    After getting my badge, I got into the Archie panel halfway through. If you haven't heard, a "future" story is coming out where Archie marries Veronica.

Someone asked the writer why doesn't Archie choose Betty? He said (paraphrasing) "Sometimes the most respectful, trustworthy, loyal, and perfect one for you is staring you in the face, and you don't even realize it. Archie is still fairly young in this story, and thus he still isn't thinking with his heart, and does what most of us would do, and makes the juvenile choice."

The panel then showed some pictures featuring Veronica, one in a bikini. Another woman whispered to her friend "That's why Archie chose her."

Star Wars Lego Panel
    I'm not a die hard fan of Legos, but figured I'd try to get a freebie and hear about their upcoming book showcasing them. It was full of kids and their parents.

An interesting note is that Star Wars legos are the only brand to have non-yellow figures. They have the exclusive license to flesh colored legos. I thought about being politically correct and asking "Whom's flesh color are we talking about here?" but let the kids ask questions instead.

When the book comes out, it's going to come with a brand new figure that was unveiled at this panel. They had kids guess the figure, the prize being the book when it's released.
    It happened like this:

Lady Announcer: "Who do you think it is?"
    Boy 1: "A ghost."
    Lady: "Be more specific."
    Boy 1: "Ghost yoda."
    Lady: "Ok. How about you?"
    Girl: "Luke Skywalker."
    Girl: "Long haired Luke Skywalker."
    Lady: "Ok, last one. What do you think?"
    Boy 2: "Darth Maul."
    Boy 2: "Darth Maul without his shirt."

Drum roll please, for a terrible pic...
    [​IMG]
    A guy near me said "That was a good guess. A little too good...". My sentiments exactly.

Started walking around a bit. These lanterns could have been yours if you were brave enough to face a riot (I was not).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Chris Giarusso's booth.
    [​IMG]
    This is the original art/prototype for the above print.
    [​IMG]
    Bruce Timm art.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He'll be back in a bit.
    [​IMG]
    Him doing a button sized sketch for someone.
    [​IMG]
    Took a break. While they've always been allowed, this is the first time I've seen an eye-seeing dog.
    [​IMG]
    This was supposed to say "Have a beautiful San Diego Day."
    [​IMG]
    Batman costume from Morrison's run.
    [​IMG]

Friday

Image Panel
    Forgot my camera with a friend :mad:. 2 little things I haven't seen mentioned in online transcripts.

1. I think it was Todd McFarlane basically saying Tyreese has a good comic coming out called "Mayhem", and wanted to give it a shot at Image. Kirkman then said "He also promised to introduce me to Megan Fox."

2. At Tyreese's request, Jim Lee stopped by really quick as a surprise guest since he'll be doing a cover for it. Jim said "Unfortunately I can't stay, I have a signing at the DC comics booth at 12PM." When he said that, it was already 12:20PM. Jim Lee running late on something...why am I not surprised?

Checked out the comics area, and took a picture of this dude's free poster.
    [​IMG]
    For the past 3 years, WB gives out huge bags. For 3 years I've seen this chick make a dress out of the one's given during the con.
    [​IMG]
    Bumblebee.
    [​IMG]
    "Please do not touch." I think he caught something when Isabel Lucas sat inside him during Transformers 2.
    [​IMG]
    Good Disney cosplayers.
    [​IMG]
    Because of the monster the con has become, some booths with exclusives have to resort to this.
    [​IMG]
    Some Deadpool.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bat-pod. Not sure if this was used in the movie, or just a replica.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Toy Story stuff coming soon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    For the Avatar movie.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Guy trying to make a megaphone to shout the winning tickets for some toys. It didn't work.
    [​IMG]
    Some booth babes helping out. Notice the Vanessa Hudgens look-a-like on the right.
    [​IMG]
    Went to go wait in line for a Darwyn Cooke signing. Caught Bill Morrison, editor of Bongo Comics (anything Simpsons or Futurama related).
    [​IMG]
    While in line, saw Jim Steranko pimping it.
    [​IMG]
    Max from Sam & Max.
    [​IMG]
    If this Terminator was doing his job instead of kicking back, maybe T3 and T4 would have never happened.
    [​IMG]
    Finally, here's the man working his magic on his new GN. I told him "I've been waiting for this since you announced it last year." He said "I apologize for taking so long :hs:"
    [​IMG]
    Before the Darwyn Cooke magic.
    [​IMG]
    After the Darwyn Cooke magic.
    [​IMG]
    Went into the hall for a break, and saw this Pirate group playing. They were pretty good, and it made the girl in the yellow apron dance around.
    [​IMG]
    After they stopped playing, the old dude on the right asked for the leader, and told them to stay outside. Not sure if it's because they didn't have badges, or just to make sure they didn't stop the flow of people walking through. Lousy fascist.
    [​IMG]
    Checked out the Image booth quickly to check for signing times. I thought about getting the preview comic for Image United, but didn't feel like it. The next day when I said, "eh, why not?" The bastards raised the price to $10. I didn't buy it just out of principle.
    [​IMG]
    Checked out Phil Noto's art. He does "Infinite Horizon" from Image which is reaching Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk lateness levels.
    [​IMG]
    Went back to Image for a Robert Kirkman/almost every artist he's worked with signing.
    [​IMG]
    While waiting in line, I saw this babe. The one in green, not that thing on the left.
    [​IMG]
    Right before she kicked me in the groin for taking her pic. Just kidding (thankfully).
    [​IMG]
    I stopped paying attention to the crowd for a while, and when I turned back around, 20ft away from me is Phil Lamarr from MadTV and Futurama!
    [​IMG]
    Kitana babe.
    [​IMG]
    Spider-man hitching a ride.
    [​IMG]
    Hey sexies.
    [​IMG]
    Ruh-roh.
    [​IMG]
    Kirkman and crew.
    [​IMG]
    Checked out some of Erik Larsen's art
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is not an optical illusion. He really holds the pencil like this to draw.
    [​IMG]

2. DoctorDoom

Saturday
    I went to go get in line for a chance to get a ticket to get in line for Olivia Munn's autograph. I didn't make a typo, it really is that convoluted to get big star's autographs.

I didn't get a winning ticket the first round, but went again and got one!

Saw this Deadpool while in line.
    [​IMG]
    Walked around the exhibitor booth again. Saw this black lantern Captain America. It's such an obviously good idea, I don't know why I didn't see more like it.
    [​IMG]
    Saw Roger Langride who is the writer and artist for the Muppet's comic. Bought the limited hardcover next to him. He would do sketches for you and his board said "Pay whatever you think is fair." He did a quick kermit sketch in my book, and when I asked if he'd like a donation he said "No thanks, that's fine."
    [​IMG]
    Lego Buzz.
    [​IMG]
    Took a break near Artist Alley. Sat for a bit, and noticed a group was forming to my right.
    [​IMG]
    Aw snap! Sci-fi legend Ray Bradbury. He did a few autographs, but I didn't get a chance. It was :sadwavey: seeing him. He can only really use his right hand, and has slurred speech.
    [​IMG]
    Checked out Peter Gross's art. Someone already called dibs on this beauty.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Saw Dan Bereton of Nocturnals fame. He also did a Batman Elseworld's story called "Thrillkiller".
    [​IMG]
    Some of his art here are prints, but he still does all of his painting by hand :bowdown:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bought his sketchbooks.
    [​IMG]
    This is known as "sex on wheels." Also known as a "car." Caught a little bit of a Kato cosplayer doing some poses for photos.
    [​IMG]
    Uh-oh, a second Kato appeared.
    [​IMG]
    Shit just got serious.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Steve Niles just arriving.
    [​IMG]
    Some red heads.
    [​IMG]
    Possibly the greatest costume I've ever seen.
    [​IMG]
    If only Han Solo had it this easy to get out of frozen carbonite.
    [​IMG]
    Death(s). I think they were promoting a new show.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The artist's for a new Red 5 comic book.
    [​IMG]
    Steve Leialoha, inker of Fables. He was really laid back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Went to the Fables signing. Here I am in Yorick's crotch.
    [​IMG]
    Bill Willingham being amazed at my manhood.
    [​IMG]
    She's the artist for the upcoming Cinderella mini-series.
    [​IMG]
    Closest I ever got to Marvel's booth.
    [​IMG]
    Tyreese had a few guys around his area really trying to bolster sales for his comic. This guy here is holding up the marquee for his comic.
    [​IMG]
    Signing for the upcoming "Haunt" comic.
    [​IMG]

Todd McFarlane:"When you print on silkscreen the colors always get dull. See that character with the dull yellow? The original drawing was bright yellow, like that stuffed Pikachu next to it, but when printed it becomes like that."
    [​IMG]
    The writer and artist of "Chew" from Image.
    [​IMG]

By this point in the con, I really didn't want to spend more money. But I met John Higgins, colorist of Watchmen, and he had some sketches he did in his free time there.
    When I saw this sketch, I was astounded, and wanted it more badly than I wanted the Vanessa Hudgens look-a-like. I talked to him for a while, and he really made the con the highlight for me.
    [​IMG]
    Went back to Dan Bereton to check his stuff again. The guy on the left said he'd been to every con but two.
    [​IMG]
    Don't know what it is, and I don't wanna know.
    [​IMG]
    Got Jim Balent to doodle me a sketch. He does a :naughty: comic, and designed the purple costume for Catwoman. Maybe it's the shades or a lack of conversation, but I found him intimidating for some reason.
    [​IMG]
    This is either the coolest or saddest thing I've ever seen. I'll go with coolest because of the dragon head.
    [​IMG]
    Owly print.
    [​IMG]

Remember that ticket I got for Olivia Munn's signature? She was signing from 5PM-6:30PM.
    Around 6:10PM, I thought "Most people should be done by now" so I went to get in line.
    Nope, there was still 100 people in line, and one of the line operators told me I might want to give up. I told him to "Fuck yo couch broseph" and tried for it.
    The hall closed at 7PM but there were still people in line :eek:. Olivia, being a champ, stayed for overtime as the con crew was setting up for the masquerade.
    I luckily got my autograph! Some other guy had apparently been in line since 4:30PM. That's dedication right there.

The goddess herself.
    [​IMG]
    Kevin being Kevin.
    [​IMG]
    The Renaissance fair is two blocks down, broseph.
    [​IMG]
    Forest Whitaker pimping it with Catwoman. (Before you do a double take, no, that's not really Forest).
    [​IMG]
    Got this Kato's photo. He said he had it custom-made in China, with material just like the original.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    For the disabled, or just really lazy people.
    [​IMG]
    A red head playing the violin for tips. I got a picture of her down below.
    [​IMG]

Sunday
    I wasn't planning on going today, but ducked in for an hour for some last goodbyes.

This car was at the hotel I was at. Beautiful, isn't it?
    [​IMG]
    Even with a con discount, you'd think with the nightly rate raping hotels give to visitors, they could make larger parking spaces so this shit didn't happen.
    [​IMG]
    Interesting car.
    [​IMG]
    Awesome Boba Fett.
    [​IMG]
    Tuxedo Mask.
    [​IMG]
    Not sure what this is from, but pretty good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's that violin girl I mentioned, the last thing I saw.
    [​IMG]

Feel free to ask questions about the con, or laugh at my commentaries.

3. DoctorDoom

By the way, I could do a quick NWS version of this thread, but I don't see the NWS icon while making a new thread in here. Any help here :sadwavey:

4. kurupt

kurupt Active Member

nice pictures, and i agree about security being anal. some bitch actually asked for my ID to make sure it matched the name on my badge.

5. DoctorDoom

Thanks. Say what? They asked for your ID after you already picked up your badge? Like in the hallway?

6. kurupt

kurupt Active Member

yeah, i was :ugh:

in the big hallways as soon as you enter. not in where they sell shit.

7. Jaron95

Jaron95 "Gattai" dattou?!

8. kelvs

kelvs OT Supporter

just put "NWS" on the title or link the pics

9. kelvs

kelvs OT Supporter

i wish our comic con over here is as fun and is not full of anime fags :hs:

10. DoctorDoom

Now that's totally messed up. I've never heard of that before. Whomever asked you probably misunderstood their directions, or just had a permanent stick up their ass.

11. Hercules Antigua

Hercules Antigua OT Supporter

Very nice pics, I wanna go sometime maybe next year. I really want to get a Chris Giarrusso sketch/print

12. DoctorDoom

Done and done.

13. THE LIOG

THE LIOG EVVVVVVVVEERRYYOONNNNNNNE EEEEE

14. Mr Coffee

Mr Coffee New Member

Whoa, some awesome times there it looks like. Fuck me, i've got to get my ass over there at some point :bowdown: :bowdown:

15. CabbieNamedAxel

CabbieNamedAxel OTCC|SF OT Supporter

I'm going next year. I must.

and
    [​IMG]
    Witch from L4D?

16. Chitty Chitty Gang Bang

Chitty Chitty Gang Bang OTCC

Fuckin Sweet. I got a copy of Bill Morrison's 'Roswell - Little Green Man' #1 sent to me by a family friend, they had him sign it for me.

I was like, 12... I found his webpage and wrote to him thanking him for signing it. He asked me if I had been able to find any more issues or if I had any... I said no... He asked for my address...

Wound up signing and sending me the Roswell TPB for nothing at all.
    Penny Pics when I get home? If you care lol

17. sploosh

sploosh OT Supporter

i have a bunch of pics i'd like to up. should i just add to this thread or start my own?

18. [dRu]

[dRu] Active Member

Close ups on the Transformers you scored? I might be interested broseph :x: :x:

19. Mr Coffee

Mr Coffee New Member

Own, my mouse can barely hit the scroll thingy in this thread :squint:

20. Nader_D

Nader_D HAHAHEHHUH ---- POOOHhHhHHCHhh! OT Supporter

urge to go to toronto comic con rising

21. Jaron95

Jaron95 "Gattai" dattou?!

22. DoctorDoom

Upon further inspection, you are correct sir.

23. Crunks

Crunks Active Member

Yup.

Looks awesome, I might try to go next year..... dressed up as Rufio from Hook :noes:

24. CabbieNamedAxel

CabbieNamedAxel OTCC|SF OT Supporter

Whats the DCUniverse package?

25. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

:bowdown: thread, would read again