MIL Doctor/Patient privilidge

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Maffy29, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Does it apply in the military? What about conversation between the patient and an enlisted medic at the clinic?

Bottom line is a friend of mine contracted an STD. He is in a special operations unit that has a group of soldiers deploying soon. He can not deploy due to this very treatable STD. The only people that know of his condition are the medic he first saw and his primary care provider. His PCP stated that his is being treated for a viral infection and will not be able to go on the deployment. The unit wants to know why. Does he have to disclose the exact reason and is his conversation between him and his medical providers protected by the doctor/patient privilidge even in the military?

2. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Hmm, something doesn't add up here.

3. Accord

Accord New Member

Isn't TurboManiacal a JAG? I'm sure he'll be able to answer this.

4. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

They can deploy people on profile, medication, and various other medical issues. There is a portion of this story missing.

5. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

medical, as you described it, isn't barring him from deploying.

to answer your question, the provider will have to inform the unit CO.

6. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

7. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

What is exactly on his profile? Ask him to look at it

"They can deploy people on profile" If he is on a P3/4 Not at all. Too many people don't realize their medical rights and they will let a command shit on them when in fact, the command and whoever makes the decision to send someone on a limited profile would get a nice letter from the General that is in charge of everything medical.

Seriously, get the profile, he HAS to show that to everyone I will be able to give you enough information to see if his story is matching up.

8. fintheman

ALL Military hospitals and information are protected by hipaa

Military Activity and National Security
    When the appropriate conditions apply, we may use or disclose protected health information of individuals who are Armed Forces personnel (1) for activities believed necessary by appropriate military command authorities to ensure the proper execution of the military mission including determination of fitness for duty; (2) for determination by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) of your eligibility for benefits; or (3) to a foreign military authority if you are a member of that foreign military service. We may also disclose your protected health information to authorized Federal officials for conducting national security and intelligence activities including protective services to the President or others.

9. fintheman

What it boils down too is (if its true) Only his 1st sgt and commander will know. If they've been doing it for anytime they have probably had a briefing every single year in order to protect this.

10. fintheman

Oh, yea, if that enlisted medic opens his mouth, say hello to my little friend called an Article 15.

Perhaps some of the med military guys can chime in on this.

I decided to get checked up once, and the doc brought in the med students to look at the swab test. I was going to die :eek4:

11. darnit

darnit New Member

Actually according to hippa(which is madated ferderally) , no they CAN NOT tell the CO, unless its a danger to the rest of the troops. . And if they do, they will get fined.
    Now , if the CO is on the access list(usually are) and request it.. the record is now in his hands.
    it's a catch 22
    But the minute he tells anyone that doesnt have a need to know(ie in danger), he can be screwed as well.
    Patient privacy is not , I reapeat NOT mandated by DOD, it is DOH and the rules we follow , are not the same ones they follow.
    And last year NNMC Bethesda paid a big chunk of change for HIPPA violations.
    Bottom line though is the CO can look at the records, everyone will know, and the poor guy that stick his wick inn the wrong hole will get a ration from everyone.
    And no one will look out for his patient rights to privacy, or willl blow it off, or say "ITs ok for the chain of command to know".

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/hipaa/