Docking station advice?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by levit, Jun 11, 2008.

1. levit

levit buy the ticket, take the ride.

I have a Sony Vaio FZ series laptop that I'm planning to use in replacement of my desktop.

The docking station on Sony's site for the FZ doesn't seem all that great for the price, doesn't provide a whole lot from what I can tell.

What universal docking stations out there would you all recommend? I've been looking but I honestly have no idea what I'm looking for. I want my monitor, keyboard, printer, and all my accessories to hook up to it. Unfortunately I have about 6 USB accessories I want to hook up but I haven't found any docking stations that have accessibility for that much stuff. Am I not finding the right stuff? Is there some type of USB hub that I can use in conjunction?

Give me your advice/suggestions! Thanks :)

2. awns729

awns729 New Member

Well you have however many USB ports that are on the docking station you get (should have a few), plus any others that are on your laptop itself.

And, yes, you can add in a USB hub.

I think a computer can support a ridiculous amount of USB connections at once (like over 100, but i could be wrong lol)

dealextreme.com has USB hubs in all sorts of colorful cube shapes and so many other styles for really cheap. except they take like a month to ship to you, which sucks a lot. otherwise you can just buy any usb 2.0 hub with however many ports you thin you might need at most electronics stores (newegg.com, bestbuy, etc.).

Also, are all the peripherals you listed USB? If the keyboard/mouse have the circular PS2 connections, that might make it harder to find a docking station.
    But if everythings USB, besides speakers & monitor obviously, then you're fine.

Take a look at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834995462

I just picked a random one on newegg. But you could connect USB devices, your speakers (assuming they're simple desktop speakers, not 5.1 channel or something high end). You could do 5/6 USB devices through the docking station, and hopefully you have an extra port on your laptop.

And if you have a VGA monitor that you want to use as a secondary monitor (keep in mind the max resolution supported with the docking station is 1280 x 1024) you could hook that up to. Even if you have a DVI connection on the monitor, you can convert it to VGA wiht a cheap converter.

Edit: if you laptop has a vga or dvi output on the laptop itself, then maybe you can go with a cheaper docking station: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834999776

3. levit

Keyboard is a PS2 but it is using an adapter and can be used as USB. My mouse for my laptop is bluetooth wireless. Monitor is VGA.

Everything else is USB minus the speakers of course.

I don't want to have to hook my monitor into my laptop, though. I'm fine with a couple USB devices if needed, but I want to be able to pick up my laptop and go quickly if necessary. The first one you linked looks promising.

4. levit

I wish Sony just made a normal docking station like I've seen for Dells and HPs :(

Like a tray that it just slides into and locks in place, everything hooks into the docking station and the station charges the laptop while it's in place. Hmph...

5. awns729

awns729 New Member

Keyboard should be fine, mouse should be too. Monitor you can plug into the first docking station directly since you want that convinience.

But...You'd just save alittle money, and still be able to use the monitor with the second station, but thats your call. Keep in mind, even though a VGA cable screws into the port (if it were plugged directly into your laptop), you can still use it without the screws, just push the cable in till its snugg. I have a dual monitor setup with my desktop and I don't use the screws.

Anyway, you shouldn't have any problems with either docking station.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

universal docking stations suck.

i like lenovo's docking stations.

7. levit

Yah I know I don't have to use the screws, I'm just trying to make everything as easy as possible :p:

Thanks for the help!

8. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Tru.dat

I tried one out and the performance for anything other than USB devices, sucked. At that point, you might as well buy a USB hub and call it a day

9. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

+1 for USB hub. Never been a fan of docking stations either.

10. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I actually love my docking station - in certain circumstances it makes sense. I have toyed with the idea of using both a desktop and a laptop, but since I use a number of IT tools daily, and they're always changing, it's a real bother to update two computers all of the time.

But not using the proprietary docking station is FTL.