GUN Do your electronic muffs mute if you knock on a table?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by johnson, Jan 2, 2008.

1. johnson

johnson New Member

I got the Peltor Tactical 7S last week and it seems really sensitive. It will mute if youre talking in a loud voice or knock on a table which is annoying. It didnt seem to protect that much either so when I used some foam plugs underneith, I couldnt hear "normal conversation" with the volume turned all the way up. Did I get a fluke or is this normal?

2. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Dunno. I've got a pair of Tactical Pro's coming sometime this week. Will report back with details

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I don't have the same ones as you have but my electric muffs are almost not sensitive enough. I've ran a chainsaw with them a few times turned on and it amplified it so I just turned them off and used like normal muffs. They have no problems blocking gun fire though.

4. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I was looking at a pair they had at Tractor Supply Co and I'm interested in getting some now. Foam plugs are effective, but it sucks when you're trying to talk to people at the range.

5. sprite

sprite Active Member

Peltor's use a "clipping" protection circuit so that is how they work... if there is a sound above the decibel threshold, it just turns the speakers off. I have a cheap pair of clippers and yeah, yelling & pretty much anything that impacts the housing or microphone will cause them to clip.

6. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

No, because I have Sordin Supreme Pros, aka the Rolls Royce of active hearing protection. :d

7. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

My Sordins only cut out sharp, loud noises. They mute gunfire and a hedgetrimmer, but not a diesel engine. I'm happy with them.

I've played with these at a range and they work nearly as well for a lot less money. Gonna grab a pair to have as a spare. http://www.ambientweather.com/rchlr01526.html

8. johnson

johnson New Member

Those were the ones I was going to get first but thought that these Tactical 7S' were better. $50 now is a lot cheaper than thousands later.

9. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Those are the ones I have, they work great for the money, but like you said loud engines just get amplified, good thing you can turn them off.