do you use Spotlight instead of folders?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by gui3, Sep 4, 2009.

1. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

i was thinking about the Spotlight / Google method of file storage - rather than folders & subfolders, you just put files into broad categories (pictures, documents, music) and use spotlight to find what you want.

i realize that i still kind of do it the old way, and keep shit on my desktop. i'm going to give it a shot the other way.

the frustrating thing is that you still have to go into file properties to add tags to a file. it SHOULD give you a dialog to add tags at the moment the file is created.

2. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

That'd be WAY too much hassle if it popped a dialog the second a file was created. Think I wanna deal with that every time I download something?

I use Spotlight a good bit to quickly open applications and stuff but don't think that throwing everything into a couple general folders and letting Spotlight do all the work is the best answer. Some might make it work but I prefer to have everything nicely organized wether I choose to go find the file myself or let Spotlight find it for me. Also, Spotlight isn't the best at finding things a lot of times. I use to to launch Remote Desktop most of the time when I first reboot my machine but sometimes it doesn't find the application (only other references to the words Remote Desktop) so I still have to go and find it manually. You can't always count on it to work correctly and that'd be an issue if you're looking to set yourself in a position where you'd have to count on it almost all the time.

3. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

I was thinking it would just be added to existing dialogs. now, you get one line - file name. it could add a second box - (Optional) File Tags:

and, whenever you hit enter to rename a file, the same box would pop up under the file name you're editing.

4. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

This is a good idea.