Do you Ubuntu?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GammaRadiation, Aug 17, 2008.

1. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

I recently installed Ubuntu on my Inspiron 1420 with a 1.8gHz C2D and 2gB DDR2.

I must say, I am loving it. I dont think I will boot into my Vista partition again except to use windows specific software.

Not only is Ubuntu more aesthetically pleasing because I didnt feel like paying out the ass for Vista Ultimate, but my battery life is greatly increased because I am using less than half as much memory performance and nearly a third the processing power for the same tasks. I dont have bothersome notifications and no need to suck system resources with antivirus programs.

I love the fact that it automatically dims the screen when I step away from the computer to conserve power as well. I am running all of the asthetic features with onboard video (my laptop has no daughter card) and there is no lag or jerkiness.

Overall, if you mostly do word processing, internet surfing, pictures, video, and music then you may want to check out ubuntu. You can look up to find out if it is compatible with your chipset. If you cant find out if it is you can still download it and burn it and boot it as a live CD and see if it will work with you chipset. The Ubuntu install includes a partition editor so you can install it with out any harm to your existing data. I gave my Ubuntu boot partition 2gB which is a drop in the bucket for my 160gB HD. Hell, dell took away 2gB of my hard drive to put their media direct bullshit that nearly no one uses on my laptop.

2. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Yeah, I dual boot Vista and Ubuntu 8.04.1 x64.

I've had very few problems with Ubuntu, although there seems to be a bug with pulseaudio & flash on the x64 architecture which causes random lockups.

Also, trying to get my conky setup to look the way I want it is becoming a pain in the ass :hs: Otherwise, I enjoy Ubuntu. I'd really like to invest in a cheap laptop running Ubuntu for around the home & school :hs: Need to find some good deals first

3. GammaRadiation

Well since you can run it well with a 1.5gHz single core and 512mb of ram; as long as you dont expect to use all of the visual features, it shouldnt be hard. :hsd:

I'm lucky, my chipset is fully supported. In fact, not long after I bought this lap top dell started selling them with Ubuntu already on them. :cool:

4. GammaRadiation

And frankly I dont have a problem with windows. I have a problem with microsoft encouraging the mindset that vista isnt resource intensive if you just keep up with the latest and greatest. At some point the money cycle is going to stop. I dont want to have to upgrade hardware to run the latest OS to sustain compatability considering the sort of work I do.

5. awns729

awns729 New Member

Not a big fan of Ubuntu. Some of the stuff I wanted to do, I could only find directions using the terminal, and sometimes I would miss something or the directions didn't work properly, and I wouldn't get the results I should have been 3/4 of the way into the installation, which sometimes can be a long time.

Couldn't get my webcam to work on skype for days (gave up finally). The advanced desktop effects were hard to download (I was a total n00b). Battery life wasn't much different from XPMCE. My laptop screen brighness controls didn't work any longer. It just wasn't worth the effort for me, but it is pretty cool no doubt.

6. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

as software becomes more complex, more complex and expensive hardware will be the de facto standard.

i ran ubuntu for about 2 months, and though things were pretty simple to do overall, my TV Capture card wasn't supported by mythbuntu. coreavc was being a pain to install.

so i dropped it in favor of windows vista and media center. we'll see how it lasts. maybe i'll end up back to ubuntu in a few months when mythbuntu get my capture card supported.

7. ge0

ge0 New Member

on the subject of linux, I am building a Home file server to distribute files and stream media to things insdie the house... Going with CentOS tho

8. GammaRadiation

Hardware requirements hardly need to be increased so dramatically to keep up with the average user's needs. Vista is a resource hog. At first everyone said "windows manages memory differently." When that was proven a moot point, all loyal microsoft followers can say is "vista runs fine if you keep up with modern hardware." That isnt enough for me, not when other OSs can do the same things with a smaller overall system footprint. And thanks to the the whole linux ideal, you can do it for free.:hsd:

9. Vaytan

Vaytan New Member

I have been using Ubuntu for about a year. I have converted both my computers to it aswell. Never going back to windows again.

10. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

If you do not have run of the mill hardware, good luck trying to get it to work with Ubuntu.

11. more off

more off Moderator

yup i ubuntu on my eeePC :love:

12. more off

more off Moderator

13. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

I love ubuntu, I dual boot with xp. I tried out SUSE for awhile and I liked it to but I ended up sticking with ubuntu. Any one try beryl? I heard some freinds talking about it whats the difference?

14. Barky

Barky woof

I dropped my xp partition for good after a virus. Installed ubuntu and I'm not going back, I love it. Nexuiz is a well done fast paced first person shooter for linux, windows and mac.... discovered that game after installing ubuntu and I love it.

Well... maybe when diablo 3 comes out I'll dual boot

15. Shadoglare

Shadoglare NeoCon Commie Hitler Wanna-Be

I OpenSuse, actually...

16. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Fine purveyor of x.264, h.264 & TS HD-Video !!! HD

if you want a good enterprise linux for free, nothing beats CentOS which is RH Enterprise basically (which is what Oracle stole from Cent to make their "unbreakable Linux")...

Pretty much the best. Simple CentOS with VNC,SSH and R5 setup and you're good to go. Add Webmin for the newbs.

17. GammaRadiation

Ubuntu is the first widely supported open source desktop OS that I have liked more than windows.

18. Vaytan

Vaytan New Member

Does it run well ? I heard something don't seem to work.

19. more off

more off Moderator

it works great

all my hardware works flawlessly

20. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Me too until I d/l some piece of software and it broke my install. I didn't have my /home on a separate partition so I lost my data and had to reinstall. I was really, really bummed. It sucked balls....however before that, I was loving Ubuntu.

21. jdw

jdw New Member

I was wishing I would've had the cash to pick up one of the Dell Vostro deals when it was out so I had a machine I could run Ubuntu on. I want to spend some more time playing with it as I may end up running it as my primary OS at work in the future. ...not to mention I'd like to familiarize myself more with linux.

Haven't convinced myself to dual-boot on the new desktop yet either - not at least until I've set something up to back-up all of my data incase i fuck something up.

22. AbortionSurvivor

AbortionSurvivor Active Member

Dual boot is lame.
    Ubuntu+vmware's workstation = win

Run Ubuntu, win xp, vista, win3.1 even all at the same time.