GUN Do you trust police?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by puppeteer107, Nov 29, 2006.

1. puppeteer107

puppeteer107 Be mine, sister salvation

Between a 90 year old woman being able to shoot THREE cops entering her house, that one kid who was able to grab an officers gun and put a hole in the floor, this kid in England who stole a gun from an unlocked police car.... All these stories I've heard in WMD and make me wonder, why should I trust the police to protect me? I put faith in them to do the right thing, but with all the times they screw up I would much rather take my chances if shit hit the fan. Is that a common sentiment?

2. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

I trust the police. I'm going to school to be one of them.
    But I do NOT trust them to protect me.
    I am the only one that can protect myself and my family.

3. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Nobody is perfect, even police make mistakes. In general I don't expect the police to protect me, their job is to enforce the law, not be my personal bodyguard, but I do trust them in general. I'm not one of these people who thinks the police are evil and you should never cooperate with them for any reason. If I have an encounter with them I’ll be what ever help I can be.

4. puppeteer107

puppeteer107 Be mine, sister salvation

:werd: I love the police, but I don't trust them to protect me. I'm glad I don't sound like a complete crackpot. My friends think I'm wierd and listen to too much rap music :o

5. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I trust the police to do their jobs, the vast majority of which is completely reactionary. I think the only person who can truely be responsible for your own well being is yourself, so why you should always call the police whenever you see someone breaking the law and are able to safely, you have to take responsibility into your own hands.

The vast majority of cops are genuine good guys who are trying to make an honest living and do some good. However, the majority of them only shoot twice a year to qualify. I think trust is totally dependent on the context of the question.

6. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Do I trust them to do the right thing 99% of the time, I mean how many drug raids didn't wind up with a little old lady dead today or how many cops didn't shoot themselves today, how many AR-15s were not stolen today. I'm not sure I trust them to be the best qualified or best trained people, I mean in FL starting pay is like 30k and after ten years its like 33k (or so the billboards say) so we aren't dealing with rocket scientists that spend once a week at the range. I still will feel very much better with my CCW and looking out for myself than believing the cops will always be there when i need them or that they will keep everything perfect.

7. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I trust them. But as stated above their job isn't to protect me 24/7. Most dept's are spread so thin they can only do reactionary "cleanup" after bad things happen.

8. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I trust them just as much as I trust anyone doing their jobs. I don't trust them to defend me 24/7, because that is not their job. Plus, just like with any other job, some will be bad, and some will be good.

9. Michael Westen

Michael Westen OT Supporter

lol, I might agree about the rap music :hs:

But, it is good to respect the police, they are serving us and most of them go in with that in mind. However they are not legally responsible for our safety. we as citizens are charged with that. The Police are there to apprehend criminals, not prevent every mugging, rape, stabbing, burglary etc from happening.

10. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

i pretty much have the same sentiment as everyone else... the Police are a means of reacting to a crime that has been commited (most of the time), so basically i must look after myself in terms of safety and such...

i trust them to do their job as much as i trust the plumber to install my sink correctly ie. they might fuck-up occasionally, but if they have any integrity they will come back and fix their mistakes as best they can.

11. sprite

sprite Active Member

No, I do not trust the police.

12. Iceburn

Iceburn Made in the USA

See Reno 911 for my opinion.

13. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i sure dont

14. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

holy detail overload on why you dont!!! :run:

15. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

16. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

I trust police, but they only have so much training, there is only so many of them and they cant be there every minute of the day to protect you. That is up to you. You cant expect to be cornered by some guys that are ready to jump you, and a cop to just drive up with the sirens on. There are way too many crimes committed that are totally out of their conrol to believe that it is their duty and responsibility all on their own. I believe that everyone should have the means to defend themselves at any given time.

17. Accord

Accord New Member

I'm not trying to be sexist or anything, but for the most part I do NOT trust female police officers with firearms. I've seen them do some downright scary shit at my gun range. Every male police officer i've encountered has been the epitome of professional and they have my utmost respect. Women are not allowed in combat related jobs in the military and I think that should also apply to law enforcement. Let them have the desk jobs and if someone needs a female suspect searched or something call in one of the female officers behind a desk to do it.

18. Phantomlord

Phantomlord New Member

I trust the police. They're not supposed to protect you 24/7, that's your own job. Expecting them to protect you constantly is like expecting your car to still be crash safe after you've hit 90 mph and are driving recklessly, you can't be safe from stupidity.