Do you think this is a crappy test question?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Furner, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Furner

Furner New Member

"Which of the following interfaces is fastest?"
    A. USB
    B. FireWire
    C. SCSI
    D. parallel

It was on a standardized test I took today. I think that it is a terrible question, it has at least two answers that depending on who you ask, could be right. I wrote a complaint after I did the exam, hopefully they reconsider the question.

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Ultra 640 scsi :)

although I think they mean older scsi used for scanners etc.

3. Create

Create :free at last:

I honestly don't know...even went looking for the answer.

Right off the bat I know it's SCSI or Firewire. Wiki says 1394b is specc'ed for 3.2Gb/s. When compared to SCSI 640 Mb/s it seems obvious.

But then that SCSI 640's going to have a 10k drive on the end of it. Fiber optic RAID array? outta my league.

4. gnp

gnp New Member

shitty question, the right answer would depend on when they actually last revised the answers....i would say scsi off the top of my head and noting that they didn't say what ver usb so i asume not 2.0, and i assume older firewire 400 and not 800 or whatever the really fast one is called

that being said i think scsi is rated in MB/s not Mb/s like firewire and usb, idk why. So SCSI 640 is actually 5100 Mb/s or 5.1 Gb/s

anyway i could be wrong? terrible question though, they should have at least constrained it to "as of XX-XX-XXXX date which is faster"

5. Furner

Furner New Member

Im glad you agree. I may be an over-techinical person, but still, they should have at least used revisions/versions in the question. There are a good handful of SCSI versions out there, some of which exceed some versions of USB.
    The exam I took was the MTTC (Michigan Test for Teacher Certification). The computer science section that I had to take for being a CS Ed major appears to be written by someone who is barely knowledgable in computers. Out of 100 questions, I identified 10 that had more than one answer that could very easily be argued. However, they would not let me view the test booklet after I turned in my answers, so I couldnt use the test booklet as a reference while I wrote my complaint.
    I remembered that question because it was really bad.

6. Furner

Furner New Member

And then you have to take into account rated speeds vs. actual speeds that you can attain.

7. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

I assume they mean for simple peripherials, so it would probably be something like: FW800, USB2, FW400, USB1

Its a pity they dont even specify which version of usb etc.

I had a lecturer preaching to the class that you could only use 216 colours on the web. I assume his textbook was from 1990.

8. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I think at any random time over the past 10 years, that scsi has been the fastest interface available.

It's not going to vary by the week or month that the question is asked.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Firewire was originally created to replace SCSI, interestingly enough. There was a brief time when Firewire-400 was faster than SCSI, but SCSI (and now SAS) reclaimed the top spot shortly thereafter.

Regardless, it's a pretty shitty question, yes.