Do you think the LS1 still has street cred?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Buick Muscle, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

Im talking modibility wise, cost factor wise, and just basically being able to outhustle the competition.

Back in 2001, I was obsessed about getting an LS1. I was on the old ls1.com board and at that time the LS1/F-Body was STREET KING. It was sharing the same motor as the Corvette, the Rice rockets were still popular (.i.e. the slow and the ticketed) and the 03/04 Terminator mustang were still on the horizon. It was definetly good times.

So my motivation for getting the LS1 was high, which attributed to my buying a 2001 Camaro in 2002 and getting into a pretty hefty car payment. Fortunetly, my obsession for cars pretty much helped motivate me to keep putting down the dough for it every month.

Well, flash forward to 2005, and now we have a few more cars out on the market from other manufacturers. The new entries are pretty tempting, and I know for a fact that the values on the used ones would be hard to pass up.

With the F-Body not really holding value as is anyway, that brings me back to my situation. Here it is, and Im still putting down a hefty payment a month on it.

The car is midly modded, its nice and whatnot, but is it still worth it? Im a little bit older now and a little bit more calculated in my decisions. Originally the FBody was desirable because of its go-fast potential and nothing within its price range could really touch it.

But is that the case now? My concern is that at my current state, as a hobbyist, I really have no desire to mod out the car as is until its paid off. However, by that time, whats to say that something else won't be on the market that puts down its power potential stock, that the F-body wouldn't be able to compete with.

I love my car, and for awhile I was hardcore about not getting rid of it... but now, its just a little harder to think that way.

What do you guys think?

2. Fareo

Fareo New Member

the LS1 f-bodys are "still" the best bang for the buck you can buy in a afforalbe sports car.

3. NeoPaladin

NeoPaladin New Member

Agreed. I'm planning on picking one up in the next couple of months for my GF as a daily driver. She's as much of a car nut as I am, so we're getting her the "fun" car while I still drive the grocery getter (modded 2004 Grand Prix GTP) ;)

I don't know exactly what you've done to the car in terms of mods, but in my opinion, the LS-series of motors are still king of the street, especially when it comes to mods. A heads and cam combo, and you're talking about an 11-second car all motor, all day long. In addition, you can get there for under $5000... not a bad deal if you ask me.

Of course, if you're interested in selling your F-body in about a month, I may know someone who's interested. :x:

4. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

LS1's still have street cred. Sure there are more powerful engines comming out now, but I still dont see 300C's turning the quarter times that LS1 cars do.

5. slow4mula

slow4mula Guest

think of it this way...mod the damn thing...screw the warranty...

if you go nuts and lets say destroy the shortblock...you can buy a forged 347 shortblock for 2k from a shop...

the more you work on your car and do serious mods the more you will fall in love with it and want to do more...

ls1's are so easy to work on and such a great performance platform

THIS MORE THAN ANY OTHER TIME IN THE PAST IS THE TIME TO BUY AND MODIFY A LS1

6. slow4mula

slow4mula Guest

the more powerful motors are basically the same....they are all gm smallblocks and almost all the parts are interchangeable...

7. NeoPaladin

NeoPaladin New Member

Or zip over to SLP and for under 3K, pick up a ZL-402. With a nice set of heads and a beefy cam, it'd do 550RWHP N/A. Nifty. :cool:

8. Ryuhei

Ryuhei Oh gawd

It all comes down to what you are happy with. A million people can tell you car X is the best car in the world. If you don't like it, it doesn't matter. I ordered my Z28 brand new in 2002 and still feel happy every time I get behind the wheel. Yes it woulda been smarter to buy used and not have the huge amount of depreciation but I didn't. Oh well. I have to live with it and no one else. I feel fine about that decision.

9. Ryuhei

Ryuhei Oh gawd

I couldn't resist! I have to post some pics because the weather here is still too shitty to do a big day o' detailing. There are from last summer and I can't wait until she looks like this again!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Mexican_Pirate

Mexican_Pirate New Member

Here's my motto: If it goes, it's good, no matter how old it is. There's 1941 Willys Coupes that still get plenty of street cred, because from the day they came out the formula has been Willys Coupe + Hemi = 10 second car. Now with the more powerful Hemis, the Willys Coupes that still exist are serious ass-kicking machines. It's all about what works on a redneck budget, not what's "high-tech" or "fuel efficient".

11. Mexican_Pirate

Give me your car.:bigthumb:

12. Ryuhei

Ryuhei Oh gawd

Aww, she's blushing. Thanks!

13. Mexican_Pirate

Hery, I'm not a girl! :mad:

14. Ryuhei

Ryuhei Oh gawd

Oops. I meant my car. Sorry.

15. Mexican_Pirate

Oh, okay.

16. Fareo

Fareo New Member

It all comes down to what you are happy with. A million people can tell you car X is the best car in the world. If you don't like it, it doesn't matter. I ordered my Z28 brand new in 2002 and still feel happy every time I get behind the wheel. Yes it woulda been smarter to buy used and not have the huge amount of depreciation but I didn't. Oh well. I have to live with it and no one else. I feel fine about that decision.

least you know some punk 16yr kid wasnt doing 9k rpm reverse drops before you in it, thats one thing that scared me when i was lookn for a T/A.. who drove it before and how did they drive it? casue F-bodys are know for being thrashed.

17. 98TsiAWD

98TsiAWD New Member

easy to work on, ROFL. Just chaning spark plugs is a bitch. Then headers, uh. I have a fully modded dsm and a 00 T/A. DSM's are very easy to work on, but in the end with the same money put into an f-body (once past minor mods) the f-body will outperform a dsm period. Anyway I think you should keep the camaro, what else woudl you buy that is better? A GTO? I think not. They just look to similar to a larger cavalier (I know they werent even designed by GM, but thats what they look like).
    Put some spray on the camaro and call it a day.

18. XNR

XNR New Member

19. slow4mula

slow4mula Guest

nice fuel rail covers

20. Serialpimp

Serialpimp New Member

Mine takes out 94% of the cars I have ever and will ever run into on the street

21. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

SLP parts > *

22. Mexican_Pirate

I have a question: Would the 395 Big Block in a 1967 Camaro SS qualify as an LS1?

23. Sonar_un

Sonar_un Prowler Orange

My car needs a LS1. :(

24. Mexican_Pirate

I wish I had a cool car. All I got is a Craftsman LT-1000. At least it has a 48" cutting radius.

25. XNR

XNR New Member

there are days i would trade you.. lol ;)