COMIC Do you think comics are better now, or were better back in the day?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Macgyver, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Macgyver

Macgyver Deep beneath the rolling waves...

I'm talking about Marvel only here, out of sheer ignorance for other brands, lol..

I got into comics Feb 07, I heard about Marvel Zombies in the main forum and read it, it snowballed from there, Wikipedia helped.

I've found I don't like many of the books before 2000-ish.. But, I LOVE everything since, essentially, the Quesada-era.

I think the main reason why is that I didn't grow up with it, and I haven't romaticized the older books. The dialog and art are the main things. I appreciate the art, and I understand the history and innovation, but I'm steeped in new-school, not old-school. The dialogue to me is superfluous, and redundant, like it was made for melodramatic kids, whereas modern books seem to be written more for diehard comic fans, adults.

What do you think, before Quesasada, or after? I think, aside from the 1st's in the older books, we're in the best era comics have ever seen.

2. axio

axio New Member

Obviously the Stan Lee era wins always. But Jim Shooter's time as editor is second.

3. kelvs

kelvs OT Supporter

Comics before are straight out ass kicking and super power stuffs. Right now everyone's just been talking a lot.

4. gthesob

gthesob the fun machine took a shit and died OT Supporter

I'm pretty new to all this myself so I can't say much for the old writing, but I can tell you one thing. I prefer the new art, especially the colors.

5. void

void oh yeah?

i hate reading most of the silver and golden age comics, the writing just doesn't appeal to me at all. However, I absolutely love the art of the big guns back in the day; ditko, kirby, JRSR. I could stare at that all day.

6. yawgmoth

yawgmoth nine > ten OT Supporter

I prefer the new stuff. Better writing.

7. tatzlwurm

tatzlwurm New Member

The newer stuff is more mature (dark, realistic), yet all the years of continuity have watered down the long-time (Stan Lee created) characters. For example, back when Simonson revamped Thor in the 80s it felt like a radical new thing, but when JMS does it now, since it has happened many times since Simonson's run (how many Ragnoraks have there been?), it just doesn't have the same impact.

Having grown up on 70-80s comics, I definitely prefer reading these. The Marvel Universe was tighter and much less cluttered. However, the production values are much better nowadays, and one could also argue the quality of the art, and especially the writting, is better now. The Bronze age was full of hack jobs (though so were the mid 90s).

But in the end, every time period has its gems. Discover them and enjoy!

8. Bobbot

Bobbot Safer than a Doombot!

Half the reason I prefer the newer stuff is the technology available to help make the comic. Printing process and internets makes everything more facile and efficient. All I know about the older stuff is COIE, which wasn't bad, but I'd rate is as one of the worst crossover events based on story; greatest based on innovation. But I'm a content driven guy.

9. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

New writing (read: mature), older art (read: timeless).

Even if the lines are more crisp, the colors vibrant, and the print decades ahead both literally and in terms of technology- something speaks volumes to me in a classic artist's rendition.

10. 0wn3d_productivity

0wn3d_productivity OT Supporter

+1

<----Grew up reading them during Shooter's run.

Stan Lee is the original visionary though.

11. Highlander_77

Highlander_77 Wicked smaht

I should preface this by stating that I've gone through two seperate periods in which I was actively reading comics. The first was frm the late '80s/early '90s up until maybe '99 or 2000 (though for the last few years of that I was only really actively following a couple of books). And recently (within the last 6 months or so) I've started up again.

Personally, I can't read any of the older stuff ('80s and earlier) and really take it seriously. The dialogue just tended to be so hokey...

I don't necessarily think that the stories are all better nowadays, but the dialogue certainly is.

I also think that the general quality of art in comics is at an all time high right now. It's rare for me to pick up a random book off the shelf of my local comic shop and look at the art and think "Ugh, that's crap"...whereas I routinely had that reaction to much of the comics of the '80s and '90s (though I do think there was also some fantastic art being made back then as well).

As far as the overall editorial direction that the Marvel Universe is going in...I don't if I'm crazy about what they're doing right now. I've only recently gotten back into comics at all, and I wasn't following Marvel all that much for the last several years of my previous comic collecting run. Obviously it's going to take awhile for me to get all caught up with the stuff I missed when I wasn't collecting.

12. DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Doom always keeps his word. OT Supporter

The only thing that kind of annoys me now compared to older stuff is decompressed storytelling. Since stuff is written for trades now, it's harder to find a satisfying single issue.

With that said, I think current comics are some of the best stuff put out in a while.

13. 0wn3d_productivity

0wn3d_productivity OT Supporter

I know what you mean about the dialogue- the 60's and older I kind of take as (for Marvel) being in its' infancy. As cheesy as some of it is, I appreicate it. I collect them mostly for the history anyway- there's something cool about that early Spidey Ditko style that just grabs meL
    [​IMG]

I know what you mean about art though- to me, it's never been more accurate and great to look at. Rare occassions spoil stories a bit for me, as in the New Avengers art. I'm liking the stories, but why is there an 8 year old drawing that title?

I'm with you on that- it's so obviously not about self contained issues anymore, at least in the main.

14. Nader_D

Nader_D HAHAHEHHUH ---- POOOHhHhHHCHhh! OT Supporter

My opinion is distroted as i started reading 2 years (this november). Personally, i like the noir, grimey and non-super hero genre of comics. Y the last man, fables, 100 bullets, punisher and the list goes on. However, I do understand the importance of the superhero genre. Its the founding roots to the comic industry and we cant ever forget that. I havent read enough stuff from the earlier periods for me to have a real opinion.

The one thing i believe the most is that the writers need to bring back the witty humour. The stuff that the older comics had that made you chuckle when you read them. Few writers right now can get me to do that but anytime i pick up an old Stan Lee Spiderman, i get at least 1-2 decent laughs at the cheesey jokes. Sorry if i was all over the place :hs:

15. Macgyver

Macgyver Deep beneath the rolling waves...

Most of the Marvel Books have jokes in them, especially Spidey and She-Hulk.

16. Nader_D

Nader_D HAHAHEHHUH ---- POOOHhHhHHCHhh! OT Supporter

Oh definately, ultimate spiderman has a lot of them and my buddy reads shehulk and says the same. It's just that, i get bored of reading super hero stuff over and over. Even though each one is different, its still a similar style. i get a few lines of super hero stuff, but mainly its other stories.