MMA do you think bantamweights can be marketable?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Mejnoon, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Theres an assload of talented dudes coming up that are/should be fighting at 145lbs(Faber, Melendez, Hominick, Tyson Griffin, etc) or even lighter. The WEC just inaugurated their 135lb belt, and the first title fight was excellent(Banuelos vs Escovedo, Banuelos won a UD). I started thinking about it and realized that I have yet to see a really boring fight at a weight under 155. Even at shitty, small shows (Gladiator Challenge) where you routinely see guys that look like they've never trained gas in the 1st round, the lighter weight classes are ALWAYS exciting.

So I guess my question is, do you think it would be worthwhile for the larger promotions to start up 145, or even 135 divisions? They'd be harder to market initially but I think once the fan base had a chance to see a few good fights they'd be hooked. Thoughts?

2. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

its very popular in japan.. but the average people are smaller there, and appreciate skill more, so it works out. Here its all about being a giant sized guy and KOing your opponent, so it might not really be marketable.

3. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

to the really knowledgable mma fans its marketable.. but for most people its not

4. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

135 and below im not really interested...and i've never really been that impressed with their skill level compared to LW's or even HW's...i'm thinking specifically of Mamoru right now...people say he's the best P4P...i've seen a lot of that guys fights and his skillset as a whole are really not that amazing like people make him out to me IMO

5. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

Cory is pretty short, I think he could fight 145 easily...but not yet 'cause I wanna see him rematch Poppies first:x:

6. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

I heard...one of the guys I train with wanted to take the fight, but they gave it to Gigo Jara instead...we actually went out to the weigh-ins in case he didn't show...Cory was there in fact, some of the dudes I was with know him...