SRS Do you remain "sober" when posting to others online?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by polishillusion, May 16, 2008.

1. polishillusion

polishillusion New Member

I was talking to some 12 steppers whom I respect, and one was telling me about how he remains "sober" in life by checking in on himself and others constantly and not letting his emotions get control of him.

How many of us do not feel like we are "remaining sober" when they post online or on these forums? Does your posting here effect your ability to remain sober from substances? Would you be angry or reflect on yourself if someone who was talking to you online asked you "Are you "acting sober" at this moment?"

2. ~stangzorized~

~stangzorized~ New Member

I don't know if I quite understand your question... but yes, helping others and getting out of my own head helps keep me clean & sober.

"the therapeutic value of one addict helping another is without parallel."

3. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Yeah posting online helps me stay sober. I carry the message and share my experience, strength and hope with others, just like a meeting. Some people like what I have to say, others think I'm way off. I'm not responsible for their reactions...I'm only responsible for how I conduct myself.

If someone were to ask me, in this subforum, if I thought I was acting sober at this moment, I would pause, examine my emotions and my past posts and try to see where I wasn't acting sober. If in my heart I cannot honestly see anything out of line, I'll move on. If I see something out of line, I'll apologize.

I'm human and just because I have time in the program and have learned about the disease doesn't mean I'm perfect. I have feelings and emotions just like anyone and sometimes I'm having a bad day. When I am I try to stay out of here and either go to the main board or just take some time away from OT.

You know, sometimes it's fun to flame, get in heated discussions and generally get all wrapped up in some thread. I keep that shit out of R2R tho because IMO this place is more about helping people and reaching out. I would hate to see it ever become a place like the main board.