SRS Do you really ever get over a break-in?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by aex, Jul 7, 2009.

1. aex

aex New Member

My house got broken into about 6 months ago - on Christmas Eve while I we were at my in-law's for dinner. I used to be cool here alone anytime, but I hate being alone at night. My husband works nights, and I know he'd switch to days - dealing with shitty people and a cut in pay - if I let on just how much I hate being here alone and how tense/nervous/terrified I get. I really don't want to do that to him, though. Coming home to the house ransacked, my stuff thrown everywhere, my beat-up lab, and so much stuff missing was probably one of the worst experiences of my life. I felt so incredibly violated and unsafe in my own house.

I know in my head that at this point they probably won't come back, but still worry that they might. They dug out several guns and left them. I keep worrying they'll be talking to their friends and they'll mention the guns, and their friends will tell them what a dumbass they are for leaving them. They probably left ~5k worth of guns. We have a safe now, though, and lots more guns.

After the break-in, I started shooting, got a CCW, go to the range, and do IDPA / IPSC. I always have a gun with me in the house when I'm alone, and have a shotty and an AR next to my bed as well as a handgun on each nightstand. I have a lab that was at home during the break-in, we also got an alarm system. The wiring was already there, but we didn't have it monitored. It helps, but the only sensors are on doors. We also got a Great Pyrenees. He's only about half grown, but already really protective.

Any suggestions about what I can do to not be so stressed out about being at home alone?

2. Crawling Dead

Crawling Dead Gz-TeRRoR

My suggestion was going to be to purchase a fire arm, but I can see you have already got that covered. It looks as though this experience has really opened your eyes and you have taken all the right steps to protect yourself. However, it is vitally important that you dont leave your guns out in the open. Sure it may feel safer knowing that they are always within easy reach if someone were to break in, but you are more likely to kill yourself or a loved one with firearms just lying around.

You should be keeping your guns in a locked safe anyway. If someone were to break in again, you wouldnt want to come home to find your own firearms used against you. Other than that, you sound as though you have safely secured your household. The only other thing you might want to consider is keeping an unloaded revolver in your purse (if your state allows conceiled carry.) Or keep one in your car, in a proper place to carry it in accordance to your states laws, and whenever you go to your front door at night, keep it with you in your purse. That way, if you do open your door to a ransacked house, you will have it with you.

Moving on to my next point. If you were to come home to find your house in shambles again, obviously broken into an ransacked, do not walk in. I'll repeat that. DO NOT WALK IN. Go down to the sidewalk, use your cell to call the police. Dont try to go in alone and find someone, you will only get hurt. And turning a few stolen items into a rape or murder is not something you want.

If you do encounter someone within your home, your first move should be to try and get away from the house and get to a phone to call the police. Never try and fight someone who has broken in. If you cant get away, use your gun. Keep it aimed at them with a steady hand and your finger off the trigger. Order them to turn around and get on their knees. If they refuse, do it again. if they refuse again, or if they make a threatening motion or move towards you to try and grab or hurt you, fire a round into their knee or leg. You want to immobilze him, not kill him. At that point, stay in whatever room you happen to be in, and call the police. You want to keep n eye on the person you have already shot, and ensure you stay in a safe room.

Thats really all I can think of at the moment, hope I helped you out a little bit.

3. 7960

7960 New Member

true

except for the one that's on her

an empty gun is only useful if you're a MLB pitcher and can hit the guy with it.

if you don't have a 98mph fastball, keep it loaded.

how is she going to use an empty gun?

NO NO NO.

If you're going to pull the trigger, aim for the largest mass possible. Trying to aim for a leg or knee is a recipe for your own death.

to answer your question, no, you never really get over it. it'll fade more and more but it will always be in the back of your head, and it'll probably make you safer for it.

4. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

that will actually get you prison time. Always shoot center mass to stop a threat.

5. Crawling Dead

Crawling Dead Gz-TeRRoR

I suppose I should have been more clear, that was my fault. Its my personal opinion that if you are carrying a gun in your car, never keep it loaded. My suggestion for carrying an empty pistol towards the house would that if you were to open your door, notice the house has been broken into, then take out your gun and go to the sidewalk. If there is someone within the house, if they were to run out after you, pointing a gun at them will more than likely be enough to make them turn and run.

Edit: And when I was refering to fireing a round at said intruder, I mean in a situation where you find yourself in your bedroom, or at least already within your house where you can get to your gun, not the unloaded piece in your car.

Also, my suggestion for shooting at a persons leg was more advice not to kill the person. I have always understood the law, at least in my state, that if someone intrudes upon your property, it is your right to use force, even deadly force if you feel threatened. This may not apply in all states, which is why I didnt suggest it, and there still maybe lawyers and judges who will convict a person for protecting their home or self. Especially liberals.

6. 7960

7960 New Member

you might as well hold your finger up and yell "BANG BANG!"

goal #1, for me not to get killed. if someone is in my house, he's a threat. period.

7. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

How will you get prison time for shooting an intruder in your own home?

8. 7960

7960 New Member

some states actually have a law that says you must retreat if at all possible.

there are actually states that say you MUST try to escape before using force. so if you walk in and find someone,then the door is behind you and you *could* have escaped rather than shoot. people get convicted of it every year.

9. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

What a load of shit. :ugh:

Do you know where I could find a list of the states that enforce that?

10. Crawling Dead

Crawling Dead Gz-TeRRoR

Doesnt matter who enforces it. A state could charge you with anything, and a good lawyer with a liberal judge could get someone convicted.

11. 7960

7960 New Member

I'm sure google can find it. It's called "duty to retreat".

Here's one for you.......

If someone attacks you, are you required to retreat before you use deadly force in self-defense? Oddly enough, the answer is more complex than you might assume. A recent decision from the New York courts brought to my attention something that I did not know--in New York State, you have a duty to retreat rather than use deadly force--even if you are standing in the doorway of your home.

http://www.claytoncramer.com/popular/DutyToRetreat.html

12. Crawling Dead

Crawling Dead Gz-TeRRoR

13. 7960

7960 New Member

you're placing a lot of hope on his not being armed.

so how about this......I have a seat belt in my car, too. How about you tell me when I'm going to get in an accident and I'll only wear it then.

14. Crawling Dead

Crawling Dead Gz-TeRRoR

15. 7960

7960 New Member

16. aldus

aldus Guest

get over it.

i literally CAUSED my own house to get broken into through my stupidity when I was younger and everything was ransacked, shit thrown everywhere, everything gone, etc.,

Sure you feel like shit in the beginning, but if the fear of someone breaking into your house is causing this much trama, maybe you should go talk to someone.

17. 7960

7960 New Member

literally CAUSED it?

you went out and found someone and forced him to break into your house?

18. summer1547

summer1547 New Member

I think in due time the feelings of anxiety will fade but you should never forget to be cautious. With anything traumatic that happens in life, car accident, break-in, etc... it makes you anxious. Perhaps you should consider moving to a safer neighborhood?

19. aldus

aldus Guest

Not quite. I made stupid decisions and allowed people to know what I / my family had, which is a mistake where I'm from. Had I never invited the wrong people into my home I would have never had a problem.

20. aex

aex New Member

I appreciate the input and your time in the response. I disagree with most it, though. My state has the "castle" doctrine. When somebody is on my property without my permission, they forfeit their right to life. I will shoot center of mass to stop the threat. There will be no warning, no retreat, and definitely no "shoot to injure."

I will absolutely not carry an unloaded gun. That's preposterous, if I'm going to carry, then why on earth shouldn't it be loaded? That's asking for trouble in the *worst* possible way - when I'm in a situation that brandishing doesn't stop the threat, i'm up shit creek when I can't use my weapon for anything other than a club.

My state does allow concealed carry, and I absolutely do not carry it in my purse. Admittedly, it's better than nothing, but really, if somebody attacks me, 9 times out of 10, my purse is gonna be what they're going for. That's why I carry my p11 "mouse gun" when it's this hot out if I can't manage my Ultra Carry in whatever I'm wearing.

When I'm not at home, the guns that aren't on me are locked up in my safe. However, in a city about an hour and a half away, there's been a rash of break-ins with 3-4 armed guys with body armor. I'm a decent shot with my 8-15 rounds of 9mm or .45, depending on the gun, but it it's my one gun vs. their 4, it won't end well for me. In that case, I'm a lot more comfy with my Benelli next to me, and my AR with ~27 rounds of armor-penetrating ammo right next to it.

:werd:

We live in a really good neighborhood. To get to a much better one, we'd have to probably double, maybe more, the amount this house is worth, and go to a gated community. I'm amazingly cautious. When I go outside at all, even if it's just taking the trash to the curb, I'm always carrying. I honestly probably have an unhealthy need to have a gun at 3:30. :hsd:

Thanks for the advice about a GSD. We looked at those, but ended up going with a Pyr. They're bigger, and generally just as protective - they're livestock guardians, but when they're raised with humans instead of sheep, the humans are their flock that they protect just like they would livestock. Plus, I've like always wanted one. The Lab and the Pyr keep tabs on what's up. Even with the dogs, I still don't sleep very well.

Is there any input not related to guns? I'm pretty confident in that deparment. :hs:

I just hate being so anxious. :hsd:

21. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Unfortunately killing someone in defense has landed people in jail for lifetimes. It's disturbing really how manipulative the system can be and how the law can claim someone as guilty even when that person didn't intend to do anything other than protect themselves in the best way they had available at that time.

As far as the TS: Eventually it does pass. My girlfriend experienced one and had panic and anxiety for a few years. Almost every night around the time of the break in she would automatically wake up and panic.

It's faded over time and now it's not upsetting but it's something she'll never forget.

The best protection is having an alarm setup and making sure windows and other entrances are locked appropriately with strong reinforcement. Be sure that you also have the ability to exit the building in an emergency too.

Heavy duty deadlocks are useful, alarm systems that are hooked up to a monitoring station are options, as well as carry weapons like pepper spray, a baseball bat near the bed, or other typical things of that sort. A firearm comes with a lot of dangers itself. The risk/benefit is different for everyone.

22. 7960

7960 New Member

far fewer than have died in break-ins when they couldn't/wouldn't/didn't protect themselves.

23. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

:hsugh: I think you better read your state's law again. Don't turn into that guy/gal that points his/her shotgun at the fedex guy.

Also it's a good thing you finally got a safe but I have to ask why the fuck didn't you have one before? You're unbelievably lucky they left the guns.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  24. gkremian

gkremian New Member

I think that the TS was implying that with the castle doctrine, the person must be in the act of committing a felony with the intent/threat to cause serious physical bodily harm or death. If she is as well educated in gun control as she claims she is (I'm assuming the TS is a girl!) than I think she probably knows :big grin:

I think its "attack or intrusion that may lead to a violent attack," so if the FedEx guy is dropping off a package, it would be illegal to aim at him with a weapon.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  25. aex

aex New Member

I didn't think I'd have to point out the obvious. If somebody can't tell the different between the UPS man and somebody with a ski mask trying to kick in my backyard.

Them leaving the guns, not finding the hidden Christmas presents, and the dog being ok were the only bright spots. We live in a good neighborhood, and the guns they found were fairly well hidden in a closet. I guess I just kinda figured that it would never happen to us. Got the safe for the same reason I got my CCL - realized that bad things happen to everybody.

On a different note, it made me start thinking about Karma. I'm not really sure if I believe in God or not, but what goes around comes around. I'm a lot more generous now. I give away my old stuff instead of selling it, I buy my poorer friends groceries and "splurge" things they can't afford, that kind of stuff. I dunno, makes me feel better, I guess. My husband and I have way more than we really need, and could stand to share a LOT more than we do - he's a DBA and I'm a nurse. :hsd:

:werd: Thanks for the vote of confidence. ;)