A&P Do you pros include digital files with packages (for weddings) ???

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by nindia, Jan 28, 2010.

1. nindia

nindia OT Supporter

Or do you charge extra for them?

If so, how much extra is reasonable?

A friend of mine is getting gouged (imo) by their photographer...she wants $2500 for SIX digital jpgs.

edit:
    obviously they didn't know any better to discuss this before they signed the contract...they're just pissed off they didn't know earlier :mamoru:

2. Kamekaze v.OT

Kamekaze v.OT New Member

Why didn't your friend ask for if they were included before the shoot?? Why would a photog want to give away the work? Most photogs I've seen who sell edited images with printing rights sell them for hundreds of dollars.

3. tun

tun Active Member

$2,500? :rofl:

4. ThexToddster

ThexToddster New Member

hahaha. Fuuuuck that.

5. Ty Webb

Ty Webb You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia

Wow. Fuck that shit. The way I have it set up is when I shoot a wedding, they get all the images on a DVD included with the package. Can't use for any other purpose other than their own personal prints or re-sell

6. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

I'd rather control the printing and therefore control the quality of the output, but clients want a DVD, all lower end photogs provide this free, and to get in you pretty much have to do it too or your gonna miss out on sales and getting your word out.

$2500 for 6 jpegs is a total rip off though. $2500 for a DVD of the complete set is still higher than I've heard of. If it were me I'd buy 8x10's from her of the 6 jpegs, scan them, and then email them back to her with a very nasty note.

7. nindia

nindia OT Supporter

The worst part is they were charged almost 15,000 for the photography of the wedding, etc. and that DID NOT include a photo album which she was even to embarrassed to tell me what it cost.

I hate seeing people (especially friends) get ripped off :( and I don't have the balls to attempt shooting a wedding for friends and possibly screw it all up.

8. mojito

mojito New Member

$500 for the disk, or free if they buy an album. these days its expected and so many will give it away

9. johan

johan Active Member

A 15,000 billing and 2.5k for six files. Mmmmmm that is some good salesmanship there.

10. nindia

nindia OT Supporter

That's what I'd imagine in this day and age...I mean for fuck sakes its 2010. You don't show people your photo album anymore you send them pictures in an email or on facebook.

I wish I had helped them pick the photographer. I guess they're screwed at this point unless they can convince the photographer to stop being such a bitch? It makes no sense either because she has so much more to lose as far as future potential clients go from this than gain.

11. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

$15,000 for the wedding photography, $2500 for six images. Sounds about right.

if your name is Ansel fucking Adams.

12. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

I include a disc of low res images with my higher packages....

13. Wheezer

Wheezer OT Supporter

I do the same. big enough for social networking sites, but too small to make a decent print.

14. iRate

iRate New Member

Im one of the jerk photog's that gives them a High res DVD, and uploads all the high res online so all the guest can get them as well :)

both free of charge

15. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

When we were shopping around for a photographer we would not even consider someone who didn't offer high res digital versions of our photos. Typically, most photographers would either give them for free, charge $500 for them, or give them for free with the purchase of an album.

16. Ty Webb

You're only ripping yourself off and setting standards extremely low for others in the field to make profits in the future.

17. iRate

iRate New Member

Its not my main job, nor will it ever be. so I'm the nice guy helping people out :ugh2:

18. Wheezer

Wheezer OT Supporter

By helping people out, you're hurting people who it is their main job.

19. Ty Webb

You confuse me, Scott. If you are not worried about the money - then charge nothing for the photography and don't see anything wrong with this? Perhaps you don't value money as much as others, I haven't figured that out. A dollar is a dollar to me. I get pissed off when people take my money. In fact, I am ruthless when it comes to others taking my money, regardless of how much it is. So I am a little sensitive about this. Photography is not my primary means of income either, but I do know how to value my work and have spent countless hours trying to figure it out.

Even though it may not be a main source of income for you, some people may want it to be down the line. What are they supposed to do when some guy comes up and gives everything away for free when historically, this is a large stream of income for others and they could use that client.

Your ideals of "helping people out" are only hurting more people down the line, economically.

If you value your photography at all, in any way, you need to stop.

20. iRate

iRate New Member

as you see in this thread, I'm not the only one that does this. Sweeney does the same with a endless list of others. Do I think ANYONE's wedding photography is worth $15,000? not at all. do I think its worth 4, 5, 6, or even 7? yea, pending on the work / whats included. I go off of what I believe is right, not a follower of others.

Do I think every client needs to print through me to make a couple bucks? no way, they can print where they want, when they want. If they want to print through me or get a album done.....great

Sorry, I would type/explain more but I made this quick, I'm at work :mamoru:

EDIT: but to be honest with you Nick, I do see where you are coming from. So don't think I'm blowing you off thinking "who cares what anyone else thinks" Maybe I will rework some stuff in the near future *shrugs*

21. Ty Webb

I understand. I think you should at the very least least charge in bulk for what you give away though. With one of the weddings I have coming up this year, I negotiated a DVD price into the package. All they wanted was a full day, and instead of an album, they wanted a DVD. So I gave them the DVD for the album price.

Additionally - on my smugmug, people pay for the photos because they want them. So I automatically put them up for purchase and not downloadable. You should just do it.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  22. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

All of my packages include a dvd with high res jpgs. It's fucking 2010 - How can anyone NOT do this? The computer has been the main viewing and sharing medium for images for what, 10 years? Come on now... I make more $$ off of referrals than I would off of whatever I'd make off of selling my clients their images, and the happier I make them, the more they push my name around...

However, I do make sure I cover my bases.

1. They're not free. They are a documented value and point in all of my packages. They're paying for them and they know it, but I make sure they know up front that they WILL get them.

2. I document both in the contract, in my sales pages, and on my website, that although they do get the images, ONLY images printed through me will have a guarantee of quality, and I will ONLY post process images I am printing for them. This ensures that the prints I make are leaps and fucking bounds higher than what they get from Costco.

3. I offer prints on canvas, watercolor paper, fine art papers, and only the best gloss papers, printed using a fully archival process. I show them examples. Does walmart have these options?

4. I give every couple a free 8x10 matted into an 11x14. This gift comes with their wedding album, is delivered in person, and is accompanied by a personal thank you letter that gives me a chance to thank them for selecting me to shoot their wedding, and throw out the offer to do more prints for them. Once they see one of my prints, I promise you that nothing they do on their own will measure up.

23. Fleck

Fleck New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

24. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

Can we get that photographers website? Who was it?

And i blame your friend for being complete morons. Money does not get you brains.

25. nindia

nindia OT Supporter

In their defense, they essentially had two ceremonies in one day. I still wouldn't expect that to be near 15k (without digital files, or even an album)

As you can tell from the following link, they did good work...but 2500$ for 6 files is still retarded. I think they're just trying to gouge them because their wedding was published in a magazine and etc etc
    http://ytweddinggallery.com/blog/?p=458