GUN Do you need to be a permanent state resident to get a state license?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Exit, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Exit

Exit Guest

I am in school, been here for four years, haven't had a real residence other than apartments affiliated by the school. I want to apply for a new permit, and excuse my lack of knowledge for this, but can I get one (North Carolina) if I am not an in-state resident permanently?

2. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

do you need a permit for NC? not sure. what exactly are you looking to do/buy? this is pretty vague

3. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr Member

I would call the Sheriff's office to find out protocal for that.

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

may vary slightly by state but you can get a dual residency. You'll need to prove your residency in your new state and the requirements for that vary. It maybe as little as showing them a utility bill or as much as registering to vote at city hall. Call the local DMV and see what their requirement of residency is to get a drivers licence. When you get your drivers licence and if you tell them you have your old drivers licence they will ask for it and destroy it. Your only allowed to have one drivers licence at a time. You could of course say you lost or don't have your DL from your other state.

Once you have your new state DL you can do stuff like buy guns. You will probably be flagged and have to do the full waiting period because your tax info is from another state. After said saiting period typically 3-10 days depending on state and if they can't find any other reason to deny you, you can pick up your gun.

Now CCW permits also vary. Some states or counties also require a lenght of residency usually 6 months. Some it's as simple as fill out the paper work, see your DL, a handshake and your done.

5. Exit

Exit Guest

thanks guys