MIL Do you live the military lifestyle?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Maffy29, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I was thinking about this while trying to fall asleep. I thought about posing this question to the part timers here, but figured anybody could provide a useful opinion.

Do you live a military lifestyle?

What I mean by that is how much does the military affect your day-to-day life? I know this may vary greatly between active duty and reservists, but I did the same thing while I was on active duty. When I was off duty, I was off. I did nothing to show anybody that I was a soldier. I did my best to refrain from using military terminology, I wore no clothing that said "Army", I had no Army window stickers or license plate frames that said "Army". I would do my best to blend in with the surrounding population. If it wasn't for my accent, I could have done it while at Ft Carson (I played a pretty good Denver Broncos fan). Hell, I don't even tell people that I'm in the National Guard until I deem it appropriate. Some guys in my National Guard unit live and breathe the National Guard. They wear those black Army jackets you can buy in basic training, they wear Army hats, stickers on their cars, military pictures as computer desktop backgrounds, etc. I could go on all day. I had my patriotism questioned by another soldier because he thought I was not proud to be in the military. I'm proud of what I do and I'm glad I'm doing it. The military has had a positive effect on my life.

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

the military has strongly influenced just about every aspect of my life since the day I was born. Military brat, enlisted shortly after graduating high school, joined the reserves a few years after I left active duty, my sons went into active duty right out of high school, and now I'm bad in the National Guard - and deployed. It would be very hard for me to not let some of my military background show.

3. evan2

evan2 Guest

I guess it depends where you are....Being at Eglin for the most part anyone in shape, clean shaved and had short hair they figured you were mlitary but with 2 bases in the general area its a given

Then in England well come on, we are americans so for the most part they know we work on the base

I dont promote myself being in the military but dont think I need to, I dont hide the fact that I am

4. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

I was born into a military family, My father was a Pilot for 20 years in the USAF, I was born while he was a UPT. My mother's father is a WW2 vet (he was drafted in 1942 and retired in 1973, WWII, Korea, Vietnam) shit his whole family was drafted, I always grew up with military stories in military towns. My fathers, father was in the navy hell my grandmother was a marine! I was born on an AFB, I always had AF doctors I always played with kids who's folks were in the military. as a kid we PCSed every few years like all miltary families do. No single thing has shaped my life more than the Military. I could not imagine a life without it. I'm working for the reserves while I'm going to college, I've got my Reserve Pilots slot when I graduate and complete OCS. Bum for life.

5. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

im one of the proudest guys i know and i have to convince mother fuckers to be more proud of what they do and accomplish all the time, yet im the same as you, when im off i do my own thing, no stickers, only navy stuff i own i use as PT gear...there was a discussion about patriotism and heroes in the main forum a couple weeks ago about being a patriot and doing things that people would consider you the opposite for doing...i forgot where i was going with this but basically dont worry about what people who judge things like that over the actions they see you make...there could be a million things you do a day that would convince them otherwise yet they dont see them so they dont know

6. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

Im probably in the same boat as you. I leave work for work hours. I tell girls at bars that Im an ice cream truck driver. Works well enough.

7. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

i'm a military brat, i've been in the army for 3 years, so basically I've been attached to the military my entire life.

that being said, hell no I don't. I have a hard time remembering to call my friends at work by their last names, I refuse to call the anything other than their first names out in public.

I use civilian time for everything except official business.

My haircut is always borderline regs.

I have nothing on my car to indicate service.

I don't dress like I'm in the military.

I don't shave on my offdays.

basically, if anything, my civilian side bleeds into my work side rather than vice versa.

8. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

i tell people im a goverment contractor :noes:

j/k i usually tell the truth because im not trying to impress anyone and could care less what they think of me for my current position

but i dont tell anyone what i do without them asking

9. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Thats a pretty good description of me right now too.

10. kawasakizx6rrrr

kawasakizx6rrrr New Member

hey man, everyone is a range safety officer. hahaha

11. The Weasel

The Weasel Lakers, Packers, Flyers, Backpacking, Halo Crew OT Supporter

I wasn't a Military brat, but this pretty much describes me too. The only thing that doesn't is the haircut thing....I had my "military style" haircut before I came in, so it doesn't bother me. I only like to call my co-workers by their nicknames. Since being in Germany, I hate looking like a soldier just for the rude or ogling looks like me and my friends get when we travel.

12. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

13. EBK

EBK Hate hippies & hadjis

I have my ESS goggles stickers on my truck, along with a 'support our troops' magnent. That's about it. Might talk a little bit about both shitholes at the VA hospital

14. kawasakizx6rrrr

kawasakizx6rrrr New Member

a tube stroker, nice!!

15. MassiveGas

MassiveGas OT Supporter

pretty much the only thing i do when i'm off is call people by their last names; i don't like first names

16. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

I do, and I don't.

17. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

I mostly try to look normal. Most enlisted people around here tend to look like the trailer park puked them out and shat on them before dumping them off at the gate. You tend to try to disassociate yourself with that kind of garbage, unless that's your bag. In that case, sorry if I offended you.

18. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Ranger-AO: Ensuring freedom's future through recidivism, one family member at a time.

19. tattooed_sailor

tattooed_sailor New Member

I was gung ho, but only while at work. Off duty, I was partying, and god help you if you got in the way.

I never had the best haircut, and my sideburns were always a little long, but when you are the "rising star" in your shop you can get away with a hell of a lot.

20. MassiveGas

MassiveGas OT Supporter

also when you're under the radar you can get away with quite a bit
    when you're fucking stealth you can get away with murder :angel:

21. kelleyds

kelleyds New Member

I suppose you're in the military 24/7. Depending on where you're at (stateside at least) the military folks stick out like a sore thumb without ever really trying. So that's always something to keep in the back of your head, but it certainly doesn't mean you have to be a walking billboard for your service.

22. usmcdevil

usmcdevil wouldnt you like to know

lol i get the medium regs im thinking about goin to low regs and no i it doesnt show through at all except for my haircut and where i am.

23. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

the day I wake up and decide it'll be a good idea to tuck my t-shirt into my jorts, wear white athletic socks with velcro sandles, shave my head bald except for a horseshoe shaped shitsmear on the top of my head, and buy a gigantic pickup truck adorned with american flags and a decal of Calvin pissing on Iraq is the day I'll go AWOL.

24. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

I think I know that guy:noes:

25. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

umm no.