MIL Do you like free college?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by origin unknown, Jun 4, 2008.

1. origin unknown

origin unknown OT Supporter

2. c.a

c.a New Member

Whats wrong with the $35,000 we already get? :dunno:

3. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

we need more free money for beer

4. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

blood for the blood god...........awesome. that was our homeport moddo.....:hsd:

5. .

i don't know how much of my stipend has gone towards this haha

edit: signed it

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2008
  6. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

The GI Bill is a money making venture for the government.

7. origin unknown

i was reading some stats in stars in stripes

only 6% of individuals exhaust there GI Bill funds and some other crazy figure actually ever use it.

this new gi bill will not hurt retention, it will only strengthen reenlistment

8. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

I've already joined a few groups for it.

9. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Last I heard it was part of the bill with the billions bush asked for to help fund Iraq. Bush said that he would veto any bill that had domestic spending and/or domestic spending attached to the war funding until he got a clear cut bill with just the war funds. Congress already overthrew his veto of the farm bill which he veto'd since he wanted his war funds.

I'm hoping the bill goes to him with the war funds, he veto's it on principal of standing by his statement, and congress simply passes it to piss him off like they did the farm bill.

10. Jaykro

Jaykro New Member

signed and here's the gist of :

Post 9/11 Veterans Education Assistance Act (S.22/H.R. 2702)
    This proposed benefit will cover the full cost of education at any public school in the country and many private schools. To qualify for the benefit a veteran has to have served at least 1 day of active duty service post-9/11 and have remaining months of education entitlement. Any remaining Chapter 30 or 1607 entitlement can be converted into this new education benefit. There is no requirement to buy-in to qualify and the benefits last for 15 years after separation.
    This benefit discards the outdated benefits system and replaces it with a WWII-style GI Bill that provides upfront tuition payments directly to the school, provides a book/supply stipend of $1,000/yr and a monthly living stipend.

11. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

wait wait wait... so this thing would cover the FULL tuition no matter what public college? i might not have to go to school in god damn cold illinois if it passes (IL resident, so the illinois veteran grant would of given me 4 years of free tuition at any state college). and is the monthly liven stipend that BAH they were talking about?

and i think he meant he signed the petition.. it's on the presidents desk now as a part of the war funds bill, which he'll either sign or veto and then congress will pass it.

12. Jaykro

Jaykro New Member

From the website I'm getting that it covers the full tuition no matter what public college. So yeah University of Texas for me. also about BAH here's what the website states:

A veteran attending school will receive the BAH for that area at the E-5 with dependent level. The housing stipend will not be available for active duty service members who are using their GI Bill, because they already receive a housing allowance.

13. origin unknown

this shit is going to kick ass when it passes

it was on the daily show too, and mccain was up there saying it would hurt retention by 16%...

stewart points out in the same exact study it would increase enlistment by........

16%

14. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

I'm really hoping they pass it after bush does his veto thing. I was getting out in April anyways for college, this would just make the transition that much nicer knowing I'm not stuck in one state and I get some living money.

15. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Just saw that yesterday :o