GUN Do you keep your magazines loaded?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 4bangin, Oct 6, 2003.

1. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

I've heard a few times that it isnt good to keep magazines loaded, because it isnt good for the springs in them. I guess they just weaken from being compressed all of the time. But it seems like alot of people keep them loaded. So what do you do? Is that true or false?

2. mrbill

mrbill New Member

the only thing/things i keep loaded are my dedicated home defense weapons. i read an article on this very topic not too long ago. the author stated that as long as you don't overload said magazine, keeping it loaded shouldn't hurt it. i forget all the specifics, but in general terms, as long as you don't put more rounds than you should(which would compress the spring too far and misshape it) into the magazine, keeping it loaded isn't a problem.

3. Ry-Ballz

Ry-Ballz This sucks, change the channel

My defensive weapons have a couple magazines loaded 24/7.
    I kept 2 of my 30rd AR-15 mags loaded for a couple months, but last week I was having feeding problems on the last round in each mag. I don't know that this is a mag problem however.

4. meat-head

meat-head Guest

for some reason, i keep four 15 rnd mags loaded for my CZ-75BD. i can't imagine needing all that for home defense but it's there. i've never had a problem with them. i also keep a kel-tec P11 loaded in the truck and haven't had a problem with it but it's not that old. for my mini-14 i only load 25 rounds in the 30 rounder and 35 in the 40 to keep some of the pressure off. i read once where a guy disassembled his mags every six months and let the springs "relax". who knows if that works or not.

5. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

Cool, thanks! :)

6. itchiban

itchiban Guest

I keep both of my 10 rd Home Defense mags with 7rds in them. I worry about the springs. Maybe I'll try dissasembling them every so often.

Just a note on the side, I keep a regular FMJ on the top and the rest are JHP. Just incase of an accident i guess. Not that both wont hurt, lol.

7. Furner

Furner New Member

Just fill them up and keep them that way. You are gonna do more harm to them by screwing with them than if you just keep them loaded and ready. I keep all my AR mags fully loaded as long as I have enough ammo to keep them loaded. Above posts are right, you wont do damage with static spring operation, but dynamic operation will contribute towards failure. Kind of like bending a piece of sheet metal, if you just bend it, it isnt going to wear out any faster than if it was flat, but if you bend it back and forth for 5 minutes, you have probably broken it in two, or at least put a permanant crease in it.

EDIT::::big grin:OH!!! I post #1000!!! I wanted it to be special!!! :wtc:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2003
  8. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

the springs in 30 rd. AR mags are usually good for about 100+ cycles, if memory serves. so, every time you empty one just to empty it, remember that.

9. Furner

Furner New Member

I only empty my mags when firing, I want every mag-emptying session to be special.

10. Gullanian

Gullanian Guest

Ermmmmmmmm........ Arent you perhaps forgetting that you shouldnt keep it loaded anyway for the obvious safty reasons?

11. Mikel

Mikel .

Yeah, good call.

Hey, guy that's breaking into my house, let me load a magazine first so I can shoot you.

12. Furner

Furner New Member

No, I am not forgetting that. My weapons are secure, and my magazines are in a good location. Keeping your magazines empty is a damn dumb idea unless you frequently leave your guns laying around, or if you are in some sort of area where gun theft is high.

13. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

do you leave your car's gas tank empty when you're not driving it? after all, someone could steal it and drive it into a tree and hurt themselves.

14. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Gullanian, please, learn about guns before you post here. The poster was talking about the DETACHABLE rifle and pistol magazines. I'm sure hed talknig about keepnig the magazines themselves loaded, but not ins the gun.

anyway, i have 8 30 rounders and 1 40 rounder for my AK47 loaded, don't think the springs will wear out, if thye do, i figure it wil ltake at least 2 years, and ive only spent $100 on the mags, so $100 every two years wouldn't bother me.

15. Werm

Werm Guest

I use a redhawk for home, so it doesn't matter for me ;-)