MMA Do you honour traditional martial arts when it comes to...

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Sammo, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Sammo

Sammo New Member

The idea of only using your skills for self defense?

Or do you start shit at the club, bottle full of bubb? :eek4:

2. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

No. I think (for the most part) they offer a false sense of confidence.

3. I would never start a fight myself

4. JustGod

JustGod New Member

It's better than nothing. Plus most people usually start in that route but move on after a while.

5. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

i trained in Wing Chun for 3 years, and loved every minute of it, built up lots of good training regiments. I beleive if you are a open minded martial artist you will definately go far, traditional martial arts have many different weapons and techniques that will be useful in many different situations. as well as forms in bjj, boxing, muay thai, etc...

and yes most definately try to only use it in self defense situations. But i have come to the rescue of some of my friends when they are getting jumped by 5 or 6 idiots at a club

6. RunninWild

RunninWild How subtle of you

Martial Arts wouldnt be around if they didnt work dude. Something false can't exist the way it does. Besides. What the FUCK do you think MMA is? Traditional Martial Arts is different in a sense but it still uses two arms and two legs and has the goal of putting an opponent down. Be specific.

7. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

what in the hell are you rambling about?

8. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

Only idiots start fights, smart people end them. (please quote me when I become the next Rickson Gracie k thanks)

9. RunninWild

RunninWild How subtle of you

Well what do you expect its either all of it or it's none man. How can red be it?

10. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Please stop posting. All you contribute is unintelligable posts and bruce lee is the best threads.

11. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

I think one of us may not speak the language that the other is trying to communicate in

12. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I think traditional martial arts like the kind you'd see kids practicing (karate) and the fancy shit you see in kung-fu movies isn't really that great for self-defense because it's too impractical...

But even they teach you how to punch and throw simple kicks... as long as you practice with a partner and spar you could take something away from it.

I practice Muay Thai and the only real difference between the ring fighting and the traditional versions is in the ring your style of fight is adapted to wearing gloves and based more on points scoring rather than trying to end a fight and not get messed up. Also it incorporates more throws and submission type hold (rather than doing an armbar it's more like holding someones arm so that you can break the elbow inward w/ force or a knee, etc) I think this traditional art is very effective, but being well rounded in ground fighting would defintely add to ones abilities.

I would certainly rely on my abilities in a fight, I wouldn't just be throwing haymakers the whole time or anything, that would be stupid. However I'd probably stick with the basics and stay away from trying any kind of spinning backfists :mamoru:

edit: you were asking if I was a shit starter. Certainly not. If someone tries to fight me I avoid it at all costs but if they hurt me or someone else I'll do what I have to do stop them, preferably nonviolent or non-harmful shit. Even if a person deserves it, I'd have to have to get myself hurt or see them lying in a pool of blood.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2006
  13. Trisomy21

Trisomy21 New Member

Some TMA's work and some don't. Usually though, it's the person. If someone learns to TKD kick really well they could break your neck with a good shot. So I give my respect to the art, but honestly I'd take a brawler over just about any traditional martial artist. People usually take martial arts for more confidence. So they think they can defend themselves, but they really can't. Sucks when they get beaten up and blame the art for not working.

14. SquirtRussel

SquirtRussel OT Supporter

werd :rofl:

15. SquirtRussel

SquirtRussel OT Supporter

and yes addressing the thread topic, i only use my skills for self defense, and saving friends/other people in shitty situations. people who abuse their physicality and bully others are retards

16. Sammo

Sammo New Member

:nono:?