Do you have USB hookup in your car audio deck?? If so...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by babaliciousbeth, Apr 6, 2007.

1. babaliciousbeth

babaliciousbeth New Member

I want USB hookup in my car so I can stop wasting time burning cds, and so I can just plug a flash or external hard drive into it and have a huge variety of tunes/audiobooks/podcasts/etc. to listen to (esp. on my hour commute to work). My boyfriend thinks it'd be stupid because I could just save money and suck it up and burn the discs.

Anyone have USB in their car and want to tell me how cool it is?? Or tell me that you burn all your discs and why that is definately the cooler thing to do??

Hehe thanks.

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

it all boils down to personal preference, if i want SQ i will listen to the original recording on the original disc if possible

do yu have a deck that already has USB?

not all decks have USB and some of them can get spendy, i know eclipse has USB compatible decks and so does clarion (i believe), off the top of my head, i dont really pay attention to this feature much so i bet theres bound to be more from the big companies

you could also beneift from an ipod and a deck with ipod control as well

you could also burn mp3s as data to discs and use a deck that can read mp3 data so you can load your cds a bit heavier

3. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

yeah, i got my g/f a kenwood kdc-x590 with mp3 and usb. we haven't used the usb yet, but it's pretty cool.

4. jcm

jcm OT Supporter

I have a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X890. I use it with a 4 gig flash drive and it works great. It's a lot easier than burning discs. If you have the extra money, it's a great feature to have. Although, if you listen to music a lot outside of the car, maybe the ipod route would be better for you. :dunno:

5. jcm

jcm OT Supporter

By the way, you mentioned possibly using a external hard drive. I've read that many decks may not be able to power a larger drive. Stick with a flash drive.

6. babaliciousbeth

Yea, a guy at work said he took his external USB to Best Buy and it only worked on some of the models.

A 4G flash would probably cost almost as much as a slim external hard drive that would hold 100GB. But yea - the compatibility would be gaurenteed on the flash.

7. babaliciousbeth

Yea... I just had to get a new (used) car and it doesn't have a CD deck so I'm in the market to buy one. The USB ones definately are pricier.

I've been burning data discs to listen to at work - yea I can get like six hours of music on one of those so I'm not sure what I'm complaining about. It just seems like it takes forever, haha. I'm sure it's the fact I'm easily seduced by electronics and like spending money far more than
    is healthy for my debit card.

8. babaliciousbeth

well that was nice of you!!

9. jcm

jcm OT Supporter

Just look out for a good deal online. I saw a 8 gig flash drive for $35 after rebates just yesterday.

10. babaliciousbeth

wows i need that.

11. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

christmas present, ya know......she also got a RF punch he2 10", a viper 5 channel amp, RF comps in the front and kicker comps in the rear.

12. babaliciousbeth

LOL that means nothing to me... for a girl i think just getting out of stock is pretty impressive, ha... but again, you have a lucky girl!

13. Ronin

Ronin Guest

BALLIN! :mamoru:

14. Create

Create :free at last:

Consider a deck with RCA inputs, and a portable player like an iPod or Zen. I'm not sure about the SQ result.

Nothing is going to beat USB's ease of use, although I question the resultant sound quality (again, it's an unknown for me). USB also would not require a power cable.

I see 1GB flash @ $10, 4GB @ $50.

15. Synner

Synner New Member

Why not just ditch the head unit entirely and build a small carpc?