SRS Do you have a dream?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Aequitas, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I'll try to write this and not sound too depressed or ungrateful. I'm actually a really happy and easy going person and I'm thankful for everything I have, there's just been something bothering me for a little while.

What I mean by the thread title is if you have an actual dream, not like, "I'd love to have a big house and a fancy car." or something similar. By dream I mean something you have to do before you die, something that prevents you from ever being happy until you've accomplished it. I have plenty of things I'd like to do, but I there isn't anything in my life that I NEED to do. I hope you guys understand what I mean.

I don't really have a problem with anything in my life right now. Everything is really great to tell the truth, I just don't have anything motivating me. (I guess it'd be good for a little background information, eh?) I'm 20, junior in college with a 3.7 gpa. School has always been pretty easy and uninteresting for me; it's been my pride that has kept my grades high. I'm majoring in criminology to become a police officer in my home town. I think being a cop will be really fun, I enjoy going on ride alongs and I've been around a bunch of police officers since my dad was a cop for around 30 years. I've started graduate classes this semester through a program my school offers called the Bachelors to Masters program. I guess that's my current situation in a nut shell.

The problem I have is that I feel as if I'm just going through the motions of life. If for some reason today I was no longer able to be a police officer I think the only problem I'd have is the amount of time I've spent in my major. I might be a little upset about it, but it wouldn't take a great toll on my emotions. I guess the biggest problem I would have is if I wasn't able to have a family later on. Family is something that's always been a big part of my life and I'd hate to not be able to be a parent. I just feel like I need more.

I apologize if at any point in this it's come off as if I'm whining.

I want something that I need to have. Something that’s actually a challenge and I have to work for. Something that will motivate me to not stop until my dream has been fully realized. The only problem I have is that there isn’t anything like that for me. When I was younger I aspired to be a professional hockey player, I was always a pretty good player. I'm considering trying out for the minor league team back home, but that's about it.

Is this all part of growing up, do most people just forget about the dreams they once had, or not really have a dream in the first place? I don't think I can do it, I need a dream.

Any thoughts or advice you guys have on the situation is greatly appreciated.:hs:

2. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

We all have things to aspire to.

Realise that you have to line it all up to enter the dream in reality.

Moment by moment, second by second you have to be paving the path to success. There will be big rocks and trees in your way, but you will eventually make it with enough effort.

We all have dreams. I do not make my dreams my plans. It is foolish to make a plan for next month when I could easily slump over dead after pressing post quickreply. :) here it goes.

3. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

A proper dream will not make you feel unhappy until you fulfill it. A proper dream is one that you pursue, and life for the pursuit of it. You still enjoy life.

It sounds to me like you feel your life is lacking purpose. I'm going to go out on a limb here, and guess that pretty much everything you've done to date with your life has been what someone else has directed you to do. Sure, you may have 'chose', but it was a choice from a list of options someone presented to you. You haven't yet taken control of your own life.

If that's off, then disregard this.

I don't recommend anything drastic, like dropping out of school, but you need to find out what you want to do with your life. It varies from person to person, some people are able to find a job doing what they want to do, others work to finance what they want to do. For many people, it's a family.

I'd suggest you start taking initiative. Join some clubs that interest you, and see if it sparks something significant. Regardless of what you do, make sure you decide for yourself, and dont allow others to decide for you. This does not mean that you cant ask for advice. Your elders do still know much, and their advice can help you avoid pitfalls. The key is to get their advice on how to do what you want to do/how to avoid pitfalls, etc.

4. timatom90

timatom90 New Member

Yea find a good dream to follow. Sometimes you have to go out and find one; they won't just come to you in a moment of enlightenment. I felt like you until i realized i wanna learn guitar. I've been learning for about 3 weeks now and i totally suck, but at least each day i have something to look forward to (practicing about 20 min after all my work is done.)

Go find yourself a hobby, something that you'll look forward to, but that you won't be over-obsessed with. G'luck!

5. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

My biggest dream is becoming awake (discovering my true self). :)

6. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

You should read on existential psychology. They have this idea that we should be authentic which, in this approach, means that we should chose things that are coherent with our true self and that, at the same time, it has to take into account our possibilities (it shouldn't be impossible). Yalom (1980) wrote a book which still is cited over and over again.

7. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

I actually prefer the works of Master Samael Aun Weor. The best source of his works I have found have been www.gnosticteachings.org

I am actually studying (not reading, studying a book that took years to write and can take an hour to read), The Revoloutionary Pychology, and The Great Rebellion.

I will take into account your recommendations. Who was Yalom exactly? Was he an intellectual or more then that?

I find Samael dead on. Eliminate vices, constantly self observe (concious perception of oneself), meditation to truley comprehend what you have percieved (since the mind is only a labler, look around you, you can really only label what you see, not truley comprehend all of it).

Unconventional, of course. All the greats in the world have been unconventional.

8. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

I don't exactly know who was Yalom and it's not important to me. I think he was a psychologist. The big thing with existential psychology is that it recently took a scientific turn and tries to prove the existence of the 4 existential concerns (death, freedom, meaninglessness and isolation) scientifically.
    It might not be your cup of tea.

9. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

Who it is should always be important. However, those 4 concerns are certainly big concerns that should be addressed.

There is only one way to find out if it is my cup of tea.

10. 7960

7960 New Member

My dream is to be financially well off enough that I could get back into the schools somehow. I used to teach and it's killing me that I quit because of money.

If I hit powerball/lottery today I'd be sitting in the local high school library tomorrow with a cup of coffee, a jar of pencils, a notebook, calculator, and a computer....I'd be Answer Man. Kid has a question, I've got an answer (or we'll find it together). I don't give a shit about climbing everest or snow shoeing across the yukon....... I want to do something that has a lasting effect. Climb a mountain and you spent a ton of money climbing a mountain. Big fucking deal. Help a kid and you affected his life. THAT'S important.

11. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

Altruism, a great virtue.