A&P Do you guys shoot in RAW?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by goten2000, Aug 10, 2007.

1. goten2000

goten2000 Tupac's Son

whats it for? can you post some examples?

2. wbarc

wbarc New Member

It depends.

RAW files contain all the original data from your cameras sensor unprocessed. When you take a jpeg, the camera actually processes some of the data (i.e. the white balance) before it comes out of the camera. with RAW, you have the untouched data to use in post production. RAW gives you more control over the final product.

The downside is that RAW files are significantly larger than jpegs. They take up more room on a memory card, and since they are larger, they will spend more time in your camera's buffer before being written to the memory card. Depending on your body and the speed of your card, it may severly limit your ability to take a burst of shots before the camera has to slow down to write to the card.

There are countless websites and articles on the RAW format, start with wikipedia.

Hope that helped.

3. Hippy

Hippy New Member

i usally shoot raw unless i know the kelvin of the lights or im out in bright sun and clear sky.

4. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

:werd:

5. mojito

mojito New Member

of course, with memory as cheep as it is and efficent workflow tools like Lightroom, theres no reason not to.

Its for getting the most out of the image. More info is saved with it and allows for "better correction" after the fact (but you can't polish a turd).

More color info is saved and you never have to worry about saving over the image is you are playing around with it, as it can alays be reset.

automated workflow (like global presets) and no image degredation despite saving it as many times as you want is huge.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  6. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Once I got proficient in LightRoom, I always shoot in RAW. LR's pp is the same for JPEG and RAW and you get better output from RAW; so minus whale.

7. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

I always shoot RAW, even on my point and shoot. Like Viper was saying, with memory soo cheap and work flow options (I use ACR) being more and more automated once you have your settings where you want them it makes sense. For example, I shot a mountain bike race last weekend and came home with nearly 400 pictures and after setting the ratings in Bridge I had them all roughly proofed in less than an hour using slide show editing in ACR.

Also with raw, then is very little degradations with edits. That allows me to overexpose nearly every shot by ~1/3 stop and be able to bring them all back safely and not worry about clipping the shadows or highlights or creating noise from having to underexpose for fear of losing all the tone that is around 230 and up on the tonal scale.

I also noticed, maybe it's just me, that my shots are far more crisp and clean when I shoot RAW as opposed to JPEG.

8. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

9. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

i tried shooting raw recently for some product photography. Turned out pretty well, and a whole lot sharper than in just .jpg. The only downside i can see is if you don't have the software to handle/edit it. or don't edit your pictures anyway, then it doesn't matter.

I'll probably be shooting in raw from here on out.

10. isaac86hatch

Any camera that shoots raw will come with a RAW converter. Also ACR is free if you have Photoshop.

11. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

I usually wear clothes when I shoot, but sometimes when a girl is over, I shoot raw. :naughty:

12. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

I see what you did there. :naughty:

13. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

only when my girlfriend lets me :hs:

14. lefty

lefty I :heart: music

I always do. You never know when that shot of a lifetime will jump out.

15. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I never shoot in RAW. People swear by it but I usually have to shoot and do minimal processing before my files are used since turn around time is much more important for what I do rather than overall quality. plus, when you're shooting for website use and your images end up at 500x500, detail and color aren't the first thing you're thinking of.

16. isaac86hatch

You may be doing minimal processing but your camera is going to work on your photo. Personally I'd like to be the one hacking up my photos rather than a preprogrammed algorithm. Raw is never permanent, jpeg is.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  17. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

and that pretty much sums up why I shoot RAW right there

18. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I think people ride the RAW bandwagon a little too closely also. Granted, RAW does give you great control over your photo but for what I shoot, the shots out of the camera do just fine. Im not as nitpicky about the shots and don't care about "lost detail in the shadows" either.

I all depends on what you shoot. If you have the computer space & time invested, shoot in RAW and post process. If you don't, I don't see the fuss about using a low compression jpeg, PP'ing it and doing what you do with it...:dunno:

19. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

:rofl:

20. isaac86hatch

Nah, I see your point. Like anything else people are doing it for no reason and then just using the automatic settings anyway. I do it because when I shoot for someone ie portraits, or events I want total control for final prints especially since I shoot a lot of concerts in terrible lighting situations. The main reason though is I take a lot of pictures for a the newspaper I work for and need the option of printing a broadsheet sized photo at 300dpi and a 72dpi jpeg wont cut it.

But for most things that people do Jpeg is fine being that standard resolution for the internet is 72.

21. kristin

kristin my dog > *

I've noticed RAW has quite a bit more noise. It's possible I could be doing something wrong though :hs:

22. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

RAW should not have more noise than JPEG, that's odd.

23. isaac86hatch

It will if you are underexposing and trying to introduce more shadow detail by raising the exposure slider. It's better to overexpose by ~1/3 stop and reduce the exposure. Cameras capture far more information in the upper level of the tonal scale, ie highlights, than in the lower levels, ie shadows. Thus it's easier to recover blown highlight detail than it is to recover shadow detail simply because of the amount of information captured and where it is in the tonal scale. Therefore I usually find my self exposing for the the shadows and mid tones than the highlights with spot metering.

When you shoot in Jpeg format all of this is usually automatically done when you are shooting and if you don't notice the noise it's because the camera simply applies either 1) a noise reduction or 2) clips the shadows to black or both.

Dunno if any of that helps :dunno:

24. kristin

kristin my dog > *

I'll try it out, thanks. :)

The first time I shot in RAW, I was trying to shoot a rainbow right after a storm, so it might have been underexposed. We'll see.

25. joy division

joy division New Member

I used to only shoot raw. Now not so much, especially when the camera doesn't have raw or jpeg :mamoru: