COMIC Do you guys learn Japanese from watching anime or reading manga?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Iron Chef Sakai, May 28, 2004.

1. Like what the title of the show means or reading subtitles or whatever?

Do you ever find it hard to remember what the titles are if you don't know the meaning?

I picked up a few words here and there. Which words/phrases do you remember?

2. ragnarok

ragnarok nuclear launch detected

before watching anime.. the only words i knew were sayonara, sushi, sake, sumo, etc...

after watching anime i picked up alot of words like, mina, hai, so desu, arrigatou, iye, ku rose, and some others

3. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

私はアニメの見てに日本語を学をしました

4. 片言の日本語しか習わなかったかい?

:守る:

5. ku rose?

Thats cool that you picked up words. Do you plan on learning anymore? Do you ever use it?

6. EkriirkE

:wtc:

I think he means kurosu, kill

7. korosu is kill

and that is the imperative form so it is ordering someone to kill.

8. ragnarok

yeah thats what i meant... korosu..... they said that word like 100x in every kenshin episode

9. ragnarok

i took a japanese class for a semester in college but i dropped it about a week into it... i was expecting hot japanese chicks to be in my class.. instead it was a couple of FOBs and alot of pasty white anime-obsessed otacons :ugh:

10. EkriirkE

:o

Mostly highschool otakus in my classes, too (took 4 semesters at a JC)

11. tom3

tom3 ...

:rofl:

12. tom3

tom3 ...

some of the ones i picked up were itai and yamete. i hear that a lot in JAV :eek3:

13. Evil_Gemini

Evil_Gemini New Member

Why did you excoect japanese chicks to take a japanese class when they already know their language ?? :wtf:

14. tom3

tom3 ...

maybe they were born in the states and wanted to improve their japanese or get an easy A. :slap:

i had a few hot korean girls in my class :bigthumb:

15. I don't think I've ever seen any Japanese people in a Japanese class.

Chinese people in a chinese class on the other hand. :p

I think most anime people drop after a while. It gets too hard for them as they'd rather be learning "top secret super useful words" from TV shows instead of studying grammar and vocab.

I really don't know why people continue to study it after a certain amount, hell, I don't know why I do it. :big grin:

16. I've watched 5 series and I think I've picked up 100 words. So when I watch more, hopefully I can eventually learn the language and not have it be so painful. I'm not in a rush.

17. kitsune

kitsune Guest

Yo

Well actually ive seen more anime then i have movies, tv shows and bassically anything else, japanese is the esiest language to learn IMO, and anime actually DOES help.

18. What makes Japanese so easy to learn? How proficient are you now?

19. Taker

Taker 找死吗?

pickup words, yes, i dont actually try to learn the language

things like sorry (i cant remember it for the moment, but they say it like a billion times in love hina), pops, things that u eventually pickup after hearing it 23598725 times :dunno:

20. I don't think anyone can ever learn the language through watching media. it is good reinforcement and good passive learning, but the pace is very slow and you will never get good.

I hear a lot of people say that they will learn a lot through watching TV, but then you see them a couple years later and they are still at the same skill level.

21. Taker

Taker 找死吗?

:werd:
    if u're trying to learn the language completely new

but if u're trying to improve it, say if u're already taking a japanese class and u watching japanese show at the same time it will probably help

22. It will help, but it isn't a replacement. It helps you improve listening skills and it would help reinforce words that you already learned by repeatedly hearing them in context. It might even help you increase your vocab if you take the time to look up words you don't know, but, there are a lot of aspects of grammar, kanji, and speaking that you don't get to develop. Actively learning is the only way to learn something in a timely manner. Its not fun but it must be done.

23. kitsune

kitsune Guest

Yo

let me re-phrase, i think japanese is the esiest out of the asian languages to learn, simply because you can actually HEAR the words and you can actually HEAR how many words they have in a sentence and stuff.

when i listen to my vietnamese and cantonese friends, then i hear the korean and mandarin on movies and stuff, i cant even hear one little thing it all sounds all scrambled.

Also, if you were learning the language with a program or a tutor, then watching anime would help you alot, i know ahell of alot of words and i can combine them to make sentences and stuff.

BUT, you can probably learn every single japanese word from anime, but putting them in a sentance and having them make any sence is the hard part, having the names at the end of a sentance etc..etc.. it can be confusing.

anyways....YES ANIME HELPS...

24. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

then how come they say that people in other countires learn english just by watching english TV and listneing to english music??

(personally i dont know how u could learn it that way either)

25. Taker

Taker 找死吗?

because its not like they dont even know the alphabet, besides you're always being surrounded by english all over