Do you guys actually read/believe this crap?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Buick Muscle, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

Real question not trying to hate.

But I picked up a issue of Import Tuner just to check it out, and I wound up buying the issue. Not because it was good, but just so I could have the contact info to write these assclowns.

This one happened to have an article in there called "THE ART OF WAR." which to sum it up, was a seriously missinformed piece of writing about how to get the edge to win street races.

First of all, the first pic shows a guy in a modded out Honda flipping off a Carrera driver in the next lane. Not only does that pretty much summarize the ricer mentality, but I know nowadays that shit will get your ass shot.

Secondly, his first and strong point is that knowledge is power, and knowing your enemy is key to success. He then proceeds to totally jack up the specs on alot of the domestic cars that he lists. Did you know that a 99 Mustang GT only curbs in 73 lbs more then a Corvette Z06? Or that an 02 Camaro SS wieghs a hunder lbs less then a Mitsubishi Lancer or a Subie WRX? :eek3:

Exactly. Moving on...

He then goes on and makes a semi-educated wild ass rant about wieght reduction on cars and HP/Weight ratio and whatnot. In the end, he leads you to believe that a 260 HP car that wieghs in at 3000 LBS would be able to outhustle a 325 HP 3600 LBS car, even though in real life that would not happen if the 325 HP car was also laying out 400 ft/LBS of torque vs. the meager amount of torque the weaker car may, (or may not be producing).

He then continues to bastardize by listing the "torque monster" Mustang as an example of a FR car, and says that the antiquanted "poorly designed" 4 link suspension would cause the car to have massive wheel-hop from the launch, and that an inexpierienced driver will cause the wheels to spin before hooking and going. That is the window a lesser powered, more advanced car would need to win. :ugh:

Finally, last but not least, he says that FWD cars have the advantage because of their "advanced, efficient" and "light wieght chassis". You you could come up with a more vague ass term then that, I would love to hear it.

To top it all off, he decides to grace us with his "intimidation tactics" which include revving, lunging the car, and calling out the others guys girl. But be careful, because street racing is bad and you could wrap your car around a tree. :ugh: :ugh:

You guys wonder why the import community is looked down upon, and I have a pretty good feeling its because of crap like this. The domestic guys may get hammered on, but if you pick up the latest issue of Hot-Rod or Car Craft, or anything domestic related, and I can assure you that it would have articles in their that are at least clear, co-herrent, and informed.

2. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Import Tuner (and most, if not all other "Import enthusiast" magazines, for that matter) = complete and total shit. They are there to sell magazines to the typical ricer, the person who is more interested in how vinyl graphics are made than in how a multiangle valve job affects power production. I would *love* to see a strictly tech-based import magazine (no girls, no appearance modifications, no car shows, nothing but performance) that focuses on good, non-ricer import guys. Unfortunately, it seems that rice sells. :(

3. Red97GST

Red97GST Guest

u gotta pick up a mag that real enthusiasts read, like sport compact car. modified mag is OK and same with turbo but theres import ricer and super street have been gay from day one, and theres a lot of other new mags that are just as gay

the ricer mags are about import "culture" not import "racing"

4. stoms00

stoms00 ███▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▐▐▐██▄▀█▬▌▀█

actually wasnt it a modded out Subaru? :o

5. Straight_Six

Straight_Six Guest

written by fnf procuders

6. Eric Happy Meal

Eric Happy Meal New Member

i let my scc subscription run out because i was tired of evo this, evo that, and srt4 this srt4 that.

modified > scc (srt4 and evo issues aside)
    turbo > scc (srt4 and evo issues aside)

why is that? because they write more in the articles on the cars that are featured, and they go further in depth on it as well. and i must say that modified has much better pictures in it as well and better quality printing/paper. both of them actually have rotary cars in them, (probably one every two months for each). i think ive been subscriped to scc for 2 or more years now, and ive seen ONE article on an rx7, which is a pretty big deal to me.

super street and import tuner are also a joke. i bought a super street not too long ago because an rx7 was in it, and there was also a feature on a new drag car. the ENTIRE article was written on how the body has to be modified. (they also had a full list of the mods and specs of his car, strange no?)

all in all, scc is starting to suck and ill just stick with modified and turbo. (mags that actually go in depth on the engines of the car and what it took)

7. JMG

JMG Guest

IT sucks ass. All show and no go. I don't even bother picking it up.

8. solid snake

solid snake New Member

import tuner is a terrible representation of any sort of car enthusiast. I don't really read japanese specific magazines anymore, but SCC was the least worst of the American mags last I checked. They're headed into the dumper soon, though.
    I read Grassroots Motorsports and Classic Motorsports.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2004
  9. cleethree

cleethree hangin' around...

Import Tuna is for 15 yr olds without cars...

SCC and Turbo are good

10. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

I see more RX-7s in SCC than either of my cars put together.

11. subaru kun

subaru kun New Member

all of those mag are piece of crap. :greddy: few years back it was all about "how to make your honda go faster"
    but now all they talk about is JDM TITE drift and evo vs. sti vs. srt

but i still check them time to time when they put wheel specials and rally.

12. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

I dropped SCC about a year ago since it was turning into crap - they used to have great technical articles, but have recently stopped producing them.

Grassroots Motorsports and Racecar Engineering are the only two that I bother to read/purchase.

13. toekneeg

toekneeg Guest

thats got to be the best thing i've heard in a long time. super street has made themselves even shittier than they were before, and SCC is trying their best to stay out of the show scene. SCC and grassroots are the ones i read.

today - every company is out there to make money, very few are in it for the passion

14. psyphre

psyphre User #58, OG ftw. XBL/IG - davzilla77

I read Modified, subscribe actually. that's the only one i read all the way through. plus they just launched Modified: Luxury and Exotics; lots of bling on nice vehicles and making the fast, faster.

15. anfrey

anfrey ɹǝƃuoɯǝɔɐǝd

16. Type R Boy

Type R Boy Guest

I agree. But I don't buy these mags for the articles....I buy them for the pictures :p

17. bob-dc2

bob-dc2 Expanse

they are trying to make their dumbass reader base feel better about themselves.

18. HighwayReaper

HighwayReaper New Member

Most of the Import rags cater to Ricers.. it irritates the bejesus out of me to see 50 articles with body kits and wings for every ONE real horsepower car.. or when you see a write up about a blown s2000 with $01293012 in mods and no dyno numbers? why? because they are STILL SLOW!!

The Violator

[​IMG]

19. I don't buy any of those mags. Their never informative or technical enough. And the fact that their all sucking 240sx cocks and being total bandwagoners sucks even more. I can't remember EVER seeing a mag. state what the offset of a featured car was.

20. Section8

Section8 .

Don't forget SCCA Mag SporstCar ;)