A&P do you expose to the right?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by SpiderOnTheFloor, Dec 31, 2007.

1. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

when shooting raw? if you do, how extreme do you do it? just a little over or to the point where it looks fucked up on the screen?

also, what benefit do you notice other than noise?

2. g33k

g33k OT Supporter

no, I just lower the iso

3. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

the only time I do it is if I want detail in something that's in the shadows without blowing the sky out :o

this usually only happens around sunset for me

4. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

I try to expose to where if there is solid white in the image it just barely starts to clip.

If the image has a lot of red in it, I will hold off on exposure a little. I dislike excess clipping of the red color channel. It happens to blue and green far less often so I usually don't worry about it for those color channels.

5. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Like Erotic said ^^

If you have a scene you would like to capture that has two extremes dark and light, you have to decide which details are more important. Usually it's what is hiding in the shadows so you need to overexpose to capure that information. I know all three canons I own underexpose anyway so I always shoot RAW and push 2/3 to a full stop over exposed.

Other benefits besides reducing noise in the shadows are a sharper picture. When the sensor has adequate time to expose it will be able to capture all the details.