WEB Do you charge extra for <48 hr work??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by M3Driver, Sep 3, 2009.

1. M3Driver

M3Driver New Member

I have a couple clients who are constantly giving me last minute work.

They are both fine with me charging them extra for this work, but I don't know how much to ask. One said "double it"

So that's fine with me, but is that normal?

Right now I'm at $50/hr, but I am thinking of raising it also. Here's my idea:

$60/hr with greater than 5 business days notice
    $80/hr if less than 5 business days notice
    $100/hr with less than 48 hrs notice

I also do a lot of project-based estimates, and would most likely do a % based system for those along the same rates.

2. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

You could do that but then it is a hell of a lot to keep track of and such. When I did contract work I charged $70 an hour up to 50 hours. After that I charged "time and a half" like regular overtime. I was usually doing 60+ hours anyway so was happy to give them an extra 10 hours a week at regular rate.

Not sure how that works with legalities of overtime and such but they didn't have any problems with it and neither did I.

If they have a pretty consistent need as far as hours maybe bump it up to a contract where you just charge a set amount per month for x amount of hours of work whether they use it or not and just make it quite a bit more than what you make now hourly+ the overtime hours you end up doing. Then if they go over that have additional charges. That way they know exactly how much it's going to cost them every month while you might not end up having to work the full hours while also getting paid more. They seem to be happy with your work so they should be open to negotiating a contract with you.

3. M3Driver

M3Driver New Member

I should have said, I have a salary position, and these rates are for the clients I take in the downtime, as a freelancer. Probably 5-20 extra hours a week.

A retainer for the regular clients is a definite possibility, but that doesn't help when the projects are dropped in my lap the day before they are needed.

Since all of my clients do this, I think it is a good way to raise revenue while motivating some to give me the projects earlier.

Win-win...

I just don't want to alienate them.

4. M3Driver

M3Driver New Member

So nobody here charges extra for a fast turnaround?

I just got another project that is needed by Tuesday, I need to give him a quote.

5. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

I have 3 rates

Emergency stuff (drop everything need it ASAP) generally disaster recovery stuff

Jump the que rates (behind the emergency work but infront of the normal stuff) generally not overly important work just overly self important clients. This service has tight deadlines and SLAs related to it.

Normal rate (1st come 1st served) A bit more relaxed deadlines.

6. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

Ahh ok. yeah then having a "expedited" fee chart might help, if for nothing else to help keep you motivated to spend all that extra last minute time on the project. Have you tried looking for a good and reliable person (or people) to outsource your outsourced work to? If you can find a couple that you can count on you could get that emergency work done easier without doing a bunch of all nighters.