GUN Do you carry at home?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by THT, May 2, 2006.

1. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

After you get home from work/school, do you carry your gun? If so, which one? Or do you have strategically concealed firearms in the house in the event of emergency? What about when you're sleeping? Do you keep one on the nighstand?

I carry while I'm home with the safety on, a full magazine and a clear chamber. I also keep my USP on the nighstand, just barely out of arms reach so I can't knock it off in my sleep, again, with a full mag, a clear chamber, and the external safety engaged. And until I get a Streamlight/Surefire, I've got a River Rock high output LED flashlight right next to the gun. I've stared into it for a split second and was momentarily blinded.

To put this in perspective, my home's been broken into three times so I'm a little concerned that I'm a "marked" man and therefore, at higher risk of being burglarized. Should that happen at night, I don't want to get up and retrieve my gun. Additionally, I live alone so I'm not concerned with little people getting to it.

2. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

why dont you keep one in the chamber...?

3. THT

Because it's one step closer to an AD/ND and the .1s that it takes me to work the slide and disengage the safety won't allow an intruder to get appreciably closer to me so why take the chance?

4. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

i keep the 229 loaded and chambered within reach from where i sleep. 870 is loaded and chambered, safety on, in the closet.

i don't have any kids or shit like that to fuck around with the stuff while i'm not here so that's where the stuff stays when i'm gone.

5. luvitlo94

luvitlo94 Make a choice and don't look back.

just around the house, no. if i'm doing something outside, yes.

6. luvitlo94

luvitlo94 Make a choice and don't look back.

Always have one in the chamber also.

7. itchiban

itchiban New Member

I always keep one chambered also.

8. THT

Eventually, I'd like to have my USPc 9mm concealed on the first floor, in one of the areas I spend most of my time. I'd also like to have a .45 (not sure what yet but I'm leaning toward another USP but full size or a G21) in the first floor as well in the other area where I spend my time. Then upstairs, I'd like to have a semi-auto 12ga shotgun and/or Colt M4 (or other quality AR-15). The only issue I have with this approach is the lack of protection i.e. they're not in a safe.

9. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

some people would argue - why take the chance of wasting that 0.1 second...?

10. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

If your home has been broken into that much it seems like leaving guns about the home is a good way to get them stolen. Why keep one chambered? Well then you can top off your mag for maximum capacity, not give away your location and the fact that your armed with the sound of racking, not be still groggy and ride the slide or otherwise cause a malfunction, and not wakeup with someone quite literally on top of you and a worthless gun on your nightstand. Ymmv, but keep it in its holster, don't play with it, and you won't have an ND.

I spend most of my time in 2 rooms, my handgun follows me around inside a cheap holster that holds a spare mag including to my nightstand along with a flashlight, and the other room has my 870 with a surefire foreend. I would attempt to barracade myself in the shotgun room if I thought someone was in the house. Necessary? I don't think so but better to be prepared....

11. THT

And I understand that point of view. However, being relatively new to the world of firearms (I have owned my USP since Feb. and only put 500 rounds through it), I'd rather be a little on the cautious side. But there are people who have held and worked with firearms for years and could carry cocked and locked without issue...at this point, I'm not one of them (or I don't think I am, anyway).

12. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Guns don't randomly go off.

13. THT

Right but I don't trust the operator completely. As a basic rule, I keep my gun with a cleared chamber until I'm at the range. It's a comfort thing.

14. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

Same here, and if someone breaks in, they'll have to break down the door, which I figure would alert me and give me that 1 second I need to rack the slide...unless the home invader is a stealth ninja. :hs:

Anyway, to answer the question, no, I don't carry at home because my apartment is very small and no matter where I am, I can get to my gun in a couple seconds.

15. Platinum_Thunder

use that extra second to get your flashlight

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I keep my Remington 870 next to my bed. 6 in the tube, nothing in the chamber... The sound of chambering a round is an excellent deterent. I have 6 additional shells on the buttstock. The shotty will get me to the gun safe if shit really hits the fan.

17. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

I keep my German Shepherd fed and loose in the house and my Glock in my nightstand...locked, cocked, ready to rock.

18. Platinum_Thunder

:noes:

19. PUREVIL

PUREVIL More Money Than Brains Croo

ND?

Yea I keep my gun around me at all times when Im home. I have one in my bed room too while Im at home. But when I leave I lock them back in the safe since I cant carry in canada.:greddy:

20. Platinum_Thunder

negligent discharge

21. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I keep a handgun on me while I'm at home most of the time. I keep my USPf and 2 extra mags loaded, locked and cocked in my nightstand while I sleep (Fiber/Tritium sights, Streamlight light/laser combo). I keep a loaded mag with my saiga 12 (not loaded, not chambered) in my gun room (behind a locked door).

22. No I don't carry while at home. This is a safe neighborhood and I'm often in my underwear.

23. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

I keep my Ruger next to me when I sleep, mag loaded, not chambered. I haven't had the time to get my ccw yet.

24. SlowNegative

SlowNegative Her name is Rio

Carry condition 1 or don't carry at all.

25. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

USP .40 is cocked and locked at all times. It's either on me while around the house or wherever or on the nightstand while sleeping. My wife keeps her .38 snubby loaded in her nightstand.

I want to get a can and a light for the USP to make it alittle more optimal for use at night in the home.