Do you believe in ghosts or mental people?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Prometheus, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Prometheus

Prometheus Banned

The choice of belief towards ghosts or towards mental people, should easily be put in favour of the mental people camp, as there are millions of proven and listed sightings of mental people.

As mental people have been proven to exist tens of millions of times over, and with billions in global currency already spent on the mental health sector with nut houses being built all over the world, and indeed argued that most prisons are infact an extension of the nut house system, it cannot be argued that nutters don't exist.

It can also be argued that nutters often claim to see ghosts.

So nutters that have claimed to see ghosts, have been proven to exist in the millions.

But it does not mean therefore, that millions of nutters who see ghosts, means that the ghosts that they see are real.

So mental people exist, and ghosts don't exist, only mental people that see ghosts.

2. Grouch

Grouch Guest

I've never seen a ghost nor had any sort of paranormal experience.

But I have seen Prometheus make about a 1000 worthless posts in this forum that contribute nothing but passive aggressive trolling of religious threads through bad British humor.

3. Jimeigh

Jimeigh Every rook and jay in the corvidae have been raven

so does that mean you believe in mental people?

4. Grouch

Grouch Guest

Well there is a man who comes to my work a few times a month and asks me such things as "how many earths have I been on" and asks me to ask him questions about his own space travel. He also wears a pin that looks like a lightening bolt on this shirt every time I see him.

5. red

red New Member

When are you changing your username back, Grouch? I expect your usertext to read, "cantankerous."

6. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

Ghost are about as real as sober Irishmen.

7. Thislin

Thislin New Member

Which would mean that they are in fact extremely real. I think a better metaphor to communicate your opinion might have been, "Ghosts are about as real as the stereotype that Irishmen are always drunkards."

8. nebulous

nebulous all it took was a blow to the head OT Supporter

Just because A falls into the category of B, doesn't mean all things which fall into the category of B are A. For instance, if both A and C fall into the category of B, it doesn't necessarily follow that A=C.

It's ok Prom. You have just made a simple logical error.

9. FuzzyBunny

FuzzyBunny I Doubt It

10. Grouch

Grouch Guest

I made a request. Faz just has to do it.

11. Prometheus

Prometheus Banned

The singular use of 'ghost' in 'ghost are about as real as sober Irishmen' would also suggest that Arclightians are also prone to the odd wee tipple of the milk of amnesia.

I would agree that rough statistics may or may not show that Irish men are drunken skunks, all out for a good brawl, followed by a nice plate of cabbage and ham, but that is only my opinion.

12. Prometheus

Prometheus Banned

Is Grouch the new LOAT mod, butting in with 1000 worthless whinges?

Oscar, get back in yer bin, you go on like a moaning old washer woman.

13. up|dn

up|dn ಠ_ಠ

you must be a real hoot at parties. :o

14. Prometheus

Prometheus Banned

I'm not always drunk, I have to get a bit of sleep in every now and then.

I was approached the other day by a member of the constabulary and he said I was slurring my words and stank of ale and was I fit to walk home.

I said "Look oshiffer, I'm not wurring me slurds, now feck off ye dorty aul hoooer".

Not surprisingly, the handcuffs came out, and after a good 10 minute bust up with boots and fists flying, the oshiffer brushed off his uniform and accompanied me down to the pub for a good number of pints as suitable refreshment to an otherwise respectable dust-up, followed by a couple of plates of cabbage and ham.

15. Thislin

Thislin New Member

When the ethnic slurs begin I tend to become a pooper.

16. Prometheus

Prometheus Banned

Is that something to do with; because all beers fall into the category of drinks, doesn't mean all things which fall into the category of drinks are beers. For instance, if both beers and vodkas fall into the category of drinks, it doesn't necessarily follow that beers equals vodkas?

Nebulous, if you are going to enter into complex maths, just supplement the data with booze related units, to make it easier to comprehend.

By the way, the units of alcohol in a pint of beer, are actually equal to the units of alcohol in a stiff vodka and vice versa.

17. Prometheus

Prometheus Banned

You tell 'em Thiz, all this paddy bashing is just not within the decent boundaries of decorum.

Next, that Arclight will be telling Grouch his 10 best Irish jokes.

I've got one:

Paddy was on his holidays in Amsterdam, and went into a brothel to empty his nuts.

The Madam, asked Paddy what type of lady he preferred.

"Well dat wudd depend on how fat de lass was, to be sure. Oi wudd loik a roit big aul fat thing fer sure, wi a big saggy ass and sum roit good aul paps doon to her waist."

The Madam looked confused and asked why Paddy would want such a lass.

"Ahh, B'Jesus, oi'm feeling a bit homesick"

18. nebulous

I'll keep that in mind :coolugh:

19. Prometheus

Prometheus Banned

The original question is asking whether all ghost sightings are the result of human illness of some form or other.

Trying to avoid addressing mental illness in a questionable sighting of what was thought to be a ghost, is possibly a mechanism of protecting your sanity and using the get-out clause that ghosts exist.

Not many people are going to admit that they were off-kilter or as nutty as a fruitcake when hallucinating and probably try to stick to the story that it was a spooky goolie and not their hard to explain impromptu mental condition as the cause of it.

20. Thislin

Thislin New Member

There are few psychiatrists who have interviewed people who make such claims who would support your assertion.

Delusion is probably a less important element than self-aggrandizement, and ghost stories tend to grow over time and with the retellings.

Still, speaking as someone who personally knows quite a few Vietnamese who have encountered hungry ghosts, I think an open mind is called for--that one should not assert that "all" such reports are either fabrications or delusions. One just cannot know.

21. Simius the Sheriff

Simius the Sheriff #2016 OT Supporter

(My observation isn't first hand... I'm just drawing conclusions from some of your previous posts) But, it is interesting to me that the Vietnamese see ghosts that parallel the Vietnamese's cultural view of how ghosts look/behave. Yet Americans see different apparitions that parallel the American view of of ghosts look/behave. If ghosts were real you'd think more Vietnamese would see American style ghosts and more Americans would see Vietnamese style ghosts.

22. Thislin

Thislin New Member

You make a good point and one that I have noted before myself.

What we see is largely determined by what we expect to see. This is even more likely during times of strong emotion, such as fear.

I don't know that that means much, though. In actual fact when you drill down to details in a non-skeptical, non-threatening environment, what gets reported is not all that much different. It is just interpreted differently.

23. nebulous

why would you think that? People tend to be sensitive toward what they know, and attached to where they have been. Why wouldn't most ghosts in Vietnam, be of Vietnamese origin, and manifest according to the way that they believe that they would?

The mind is a filter which takes existing data, and thenreconstructs it into coherent data. So when a Vietnamese's person sees a ghost, their mind might be doing a lot of the work of creating an image of that figure, but that still doesn't disprove the existence of the base phenomenon (ghost.)

24. Kalypso

Kalypso New Member

god this thread sucks

25. Simius the Sheriff

Simius the Sheriff #2016 OT Supporter

Yeah, even I have seen a ghost/spirit/god/whatever. It was a wolf in the middle of the city on Halloween. It wasn't really there (I decided later it was probably a dog... but the same wolf visited me again the following Halloween. I doubt I'd mistake a dog for a wolf twice in a row like that... so obviously my brain conjured the whole thing up.) So yeah, I agree the brain filters data and reconstructs it in a way that makes sense to you. This is one of the reasons why eye witnesses are so unreliable in criminal investigations. The only difference between my view and yours is you might assume there was some kind of ghost that my brain restructured into looking like a wolf. I'd take it a step further and assume that me being super psyched up for Halloween mixed with having spooky woods in the back yard and me wanting to see something paranormal that night is the reason my brain made the hallucination. (and the following year I really really really wanted to be visited by the wolf ghost thingy again.)